Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Default Who gives a .......

Sounds like Transalta shut off the water below the Bighorn dam potentially killing more fish.
These were likely Bull Trout.
So who cares?
Apparently your Govt does't otherwise when they did the same to the Brazeau dam it wouldn't happen again.

Yours through environmental stewardship - the Alberta Govt.

Don
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 PM

Yayyyyy.....
How come they turned it off? Any articles?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:59 PM

I heard about that. I really think with the NDP now captaining the ship we should see a change in the right direction here. Everyone who's concerned needs to let their MLA hear about it and we might have a chance in seeing this change. With the conservatives it was hopeless. Sorry to get political.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 PM

I have heard that Transalta and the Cons came to a agreement that allows this type of activity to happen. The source said the agreement was for 20 years.
A proud legacy of the Cons.

Don
Old 06-13-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
I have heard that Transalta and the Cons came to a agreement that allows this type of activity to happen. The source said the agreement was for 20 years.

Don
Got a link to this agreement or some evidence of its exsistance?

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 06-21-2015, 01:08 PM

As far as the contract is concerned the NDP stamp is not on there which would make that contract not valid, likely making the shut off and fish killing ILLEGAL. a lot of the contracts that the CONs signed were also totally illegal. cases in point... the killing for thousands of cormorants and oiling all the eggs in 4 bird sanctuaries near Lac La Biche for a period of 5 years, killing 75% of the population. this was illegal also, the transplanting of otters in the west country, the importing of pelicans to the Red Deer River, planting perch in cow lake and many other AB lakes. (it seems like F&W are like fireman with a 5 gallon pail of gas and a match)

But hopefully when we meet with the NDP we can straighten a lot of this out.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM

when did they import pelicans ? If you check old bird books you will see we had a breeding population of pelicans years ago
Old 06-21-2015, 01:26 PM

have a look at the flight paths of pelicans. no where close to red deer.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:31 PM

I just sent an email to 13 MLA's about it. Tick tock, tick tock
Old 06-21-2015, 01:33 PM

page 14 of the 1976 edition of Birds of Alberta by W. R. Salt and Jim R Salt

" the white Pelican formerly nested throughout the prairie provinces except in northern Saskatchewan and northern Manitoba. "

So apparently we have had them for years, just not in these numbers
Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 PM

LOOK AT THE FLIGHT PATH OF THE BIRDS. also red deer is not in the PRAIRIES. im not saying in the province in saying in the red deer river area they were introduced by VANCE BUCKWALD (head biologist of fish and wildlife)
If I look back through my foips I can find the exact date.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:52 PM

Oh my.... another wildlife conspiracist. Wolves and Grizz on the prairies, now pelicans being redirected to the Red Deer

The cormorant reduction was done with all applicable permits and authorizations required. Whether it was a) successful or b) ethical is a different discussion. Saying it was done "illegally" is just silly.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 PM

Nope no conspiracies I have the facts. They weren't redirected they were introduced by the fellow named above give him a call your self. And according to the foip... It was thought that the private members bill would pass but in fact did not making the cormorant kill illegal. Which section of ESRD do you work for
Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM

The Red Deer river does run through the prairies, nesting of pelicans has being occurring at Buffalo Lake since the early 1970s, why could they have not expanded their range from there naturally ?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
The Red Deer river does run through the prairies, nesting of pelicans has being occurring at Buffalo Lake since the early 1970s, why could they have not expanded their range from there naturally ?

Again let's not confuse the issue with facts. PELICANS were introduced into the red deer river system. Wether they live naturally in other parts of the province is not the question. If private citizens would have put the birds there they would be locked up.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 PM

You do realize pelicans fly, right?

You do realize they migrate hundreds/thousands of miles?

Thinking that the only reason White Pelicans are in the Red Deer is because someone may or may not have relocated some there shows a poor understanding of ecology and biology.

Why would the killing of cormorants require a private members bill? The minister is able to provide a permit, and there are provisions under the MBTA to allow their killing for conservation reasons (again, not saying the program was right / wrong / otherwise).

Not that it matters one iota, but if you read some of my past posts, you will quickly realize I don't work for ESRD.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Did mr Buckvald take a truckload to central BC as well? Hell, they have a whole Provincial Park there to protect them (probably part of the Y2Y conspiracy).
Old 06-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
You do realize pelicans fly, right?

You do realize they migrate hundreds/thousands of miles?

Thinking that the only reason White Pelicans are in the Red Deer is because someone may or may not have relocated some there shows a poor understanding of ecology and biology.

Why would the killing of cormorants require a private members bill? The minister is able to provide a permit, and there are provisions under the MBTA to allow their killing for conservation reasons (again, not saying the program was right / wrong / otherwise).

Not that it matters one iota, but if you read some of my past posts, you will quickly realize I don't work for ESRD.
I'm not saying the only reason pelicans are there is introduction but the sheer numbers are largely due to intro of the birds.

A minister cannot give permission over a federal bird sanctuary. Presuming you know they killed for the walleye population... After the kill of the birds the study found that the birds diet was 1% walleye and almost entirely consisted on perch and baitfish.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post

Don
very sad but another reason we need someone new to regulate the money and sustainable resources ....It's all to common with large corps ..money was king
Old 06-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
I'm not saying the only reason pelicans are there is introduction but the sheer numbers are largely due to intro of the birds.

A minister cannot give permission over a federal bird sanctuary. Presuming you know they killed for the walleye population... After the kill of the birds the study found that the birds diet was 1% walleye and almost entirely consisted on perch and baitfish.
Yes, I am fully aware of the program and the study. The thought was never that that cormorant predation was removing the wallet directly, but iirc nstead that the heavy predation on all minnow specie and perch, and the lack of forage was keeping the walleye population from recovering.

Anyhoo, this has turned into an epic derail. Maybe start a "white pelican reintroduction" or "ESRD staff are criminals" thread if you need to continue on the topic.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:22 PM

You should buy the tallest step ladder you can find get on the top step and stretch your arms way up and get a grip on reality. The perch are a game species. The walleye eat the perch the cormorants eat perch and you can still go to LLB and keep perch. The walleye stocks arnt going to do real good when they have nothing to eat. When you know what your talking about send me a message I will give you my number and we can discuss the topic. Have a good day sir
Old 06-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
You should buy the tallest step ladder you can find get on the top step and stretch your arms way up and get a grip on reality. The perch are a game species. The walleye eat the perch the cormorants eat perch and you can still go to LLB and keep perch. The walleye stocks arnt going to do real good when they have nothing to eat. When you know what your talking about send me a message I will give you my number and we can discuss the topic. Have a good day sir
That's exactly what he said.....exactly one post above yours.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
That's exactly what he said.....exactly one post above yours.

Yes he did and he is correct on the cormorant topic. Thank you