Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think you are thinking of a GPS. A compass can't call emergency rescue or let your wife know you will be home late.
Yep! Some are not grasping the concept.

Dodger.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think you are thinking of a GPS. A compass can't call emergency rescue or let your wife know you will be home late.
I was referring to the proliferation of electronics and the tendency for many to depend on them. When they work, they work fantastic.

What happens if they run out of say, electricity, or get submerged?

I see the same thing where people depend on their GPS for navigating their boats. Wonderful instruments, but what happens if the satellites get shut down (which they have for some areas at times off the coast of Florida). I have both a HBC and charts aboard as back up when I'm out in the Gulf.

Someone else said it, Delorme is a far better bet, although the plans a high in Canada.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I was referring to the proliferation of electronics and the tendency for many to depend on them. When they work, they work fantastic.

What happens if they run out of say, electricity, or get submerged?

I see the same thing where people depend on their GPS for navigating their boats. Wonderful instruments, but what happens if the satellites get shut down (which they have for some areas at times off the coast of Florida). I have both a HBC and charts aboard as back up when I'm out in the Gulf.

Someone else said it, Delorme is a far better bet, although the plans a high in Canada.
And what do you do when your boat sinks? hehehe

You said submerged.

Repeat a SPOT is not a navigating device.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 01-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
And what do you do when your boat sinks. hehehe

You said submerged.

Repeat a SPOT is not a navigating device.
The point I'm unsuccessfully trying to make its that we need to ensure we still have the abilities to operate in the bush without depending on electronics. How many can still do that?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
The point I'm unsuccessfully trying to make its that we need to ensure we still have the abilities to operate in the bush without depending on electronics. How many can still do that?
A spot doesn't change how I operate in the woods.
It doesn't tell me where I am. It doesn't tell me where North is. It doesn't even tell the time. In fact it's in my pack. And unless I need rescue, or sometimes the check in to family at night I never touch it.
In no was shape or form does it give people the ability to forgo a map or compass.
That's like saying they have goretex clothes so obviously can't navigate the old fashioned way. It's completely unrelated.

What it does do is let family know you arrived at camp safely. And should something happen, like breaking your ankle, which can happen no matter how good your bushcraft, you can get help. Even if out of cell range.

However as many have said the delorme is a better choice. Much better satellite coverage.

But for purely rescue reasons a resq link PLB is a better choice. Has no monthly fees and connects direct to military search and rescue. So it's no good for telling the wife you are safe. But in shtf situation it's probably the best option. I'll be carrying one with me from now on and when my spot dies I'll change to delorme.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
That's not the topic. Its about SPOT.

Repeat the SPOT is not a navigating device.

Now what do ya do when your boat sinks?

Might be a packed Cuban boat near by. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2015, 11:11 AM

Anyone actually try use one of these things?
The only time I have heard of someone using one it didn't work!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 AM

[Q UOTE=ROA;2710897]Anyone actually try use one of these things? Only time I have heard of someone using one it didn't work![/QUOTE]

I use one everyday, every even hour when working. Never had an issue.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Anyone actually try use one of these things? Only time I have heard of someone using one it didn't work!
I have been using SPOT for two years and it works fine. never had to push the emergency button yet but I send daily OK signals to my family and once had to use the "need non emergency assistance" when my truck broke down.

Like all devices they can fail but I don't think they would be any less reliable than any other GPS signally device.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
It is an electronic thingee for persons incapable of using a compass , a topographical map or exhibiting basic common sense,,,
its a good laugh when people spout about stuff that they know nothing about on forums