Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM

Default Problems with hour cuts.

Hi Fellas. I didn't really know where to turn to talk to someone about this , so I thought I'd post here as I'm from Edmonton.

I am a cabinetmaker who left my job last June as my company was moving farther away and not feasible to work there anymore. I am mainly a shop worker and prefer that position.

Right around that time, my stepbrother who is an millwork installer offered me a job to work with him for more money installing and service work. That went well until Xmas and since then I've only been getting 40-50 hrs. in 2 weeks if I'm lucky. It's starting to get really hard for me surviving on that. I feel like he's pulled me from the fire regarding my last job and has been pretty generous to me with wages/bonus, etc , but these missing days of work are hurting.

I like the flexibility of working with him ( just 2 of us) and how he's rewarded me in the past , but am wondering if I should leave for more permanent hours at probably less pay elsewhere ( even if I could get in somewhere) At least I'd know what my next cheque could be.

I'm thinking we might even get swamped in a month but I've heard nothing concrete and am going day to day. I am wondering if I should hold tight for now and reap bigger money if we're busy soon , or quit and get the lower-paid, steady paycheque route. I'm sure he would understand my position and I doubt it would alienate our relationship family-wise , but right now I'm kind of torn between my loyalty to him , and having to put up with " sorry , no work today" every few days.

I haven't had a cheque over 50 hrs/2 weeks since last November.

Any advice fellas?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 PM

IMO, you need to talk to him and tell him of your concerns.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Banned

Tough one.Sucks working with family.Talk to the guy,let him know how it is for you.If you think it may get better then stick but do not turn down any good jobs because of him.You first,everyone after.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 PM

I am getting a call from him tomorrow if I have work , and if I go in to see him I will ask what work he has coming up. He is leaving the country for 10 days in Jan. and was supposed to have a job set up for me , but doesn't know if it will go ahead.

I know he is trying to keep me busy and there's no issue of him being dishonest to me , but it just seems the work is very sporadic and not steady.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwa View Post
I am getting a call from him tomorrow if I have work , and if I go in to see him I will ask what work he has coming up. He is leaving the country for 10 days in Jan. and was supposed to have a job set up for me , but doesn't know if it will go ahead.

I know he is trying to keep me busy and there's no issue of him being dishonest to me , but it just seems the work is very sporadic and not steady.
Yup,been there.It`s hard to quit but sometimes it`s the best way if you got something else on the hook.Good luck,Joe.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:14 PM

When you aren't busy installing, is there something you could do to help bring in more business? Good luck, sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude despite things. That's a great asset
Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 PM

Family or not you have to pay the bills and eat. Have a open talk and see where things stand. Then at least you should not have any hard feelings.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Hey Thanks for the support and advice fellas.

I'm not up S-creek yet , but I don't want it to come to that. I am kinda old school and hate that the wife is paying the bills right now.

I'm going to see in the next few days if this service job came through while he goes outta town , but if I'm left hanging , I'm going to let him know I have to start looking for extra money.

He basically rescued me from a job that was falling apart , and I know it's not easy for him to find work to keep both of us busy right now. I'm trying to hang in there and not lose what is the most-paid job I've ever had.....just that the hours aren't there right now.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:34 PM

There is lots of jobs to be had.
Think about yourself first.
He can always hire someone else.

Think about it this way.....

Why do you work?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Well, the very first thing to do is voice your concerns with him, take it from there after that, your talk may ease your uneasiness, or point you in a new direction. Hope all works out for you!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:37 PM

Do some work on the side for extra $$

From the sounds of it, you have some freedom to live.
Why give that up?
Let momma work a little bit. You work a little.
Enjoy having time to go fishing. Or hunting.

Expense wise, cut out some things you really don't need.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Do some work on the side for extra $$

From the sounds of it, you have some freedom to live.
Why give that up?
Let momma work a little bit. You work a little.
Enjoy having time to go fishing. Or hunting.

Expense wise, cut out some things you really don't need.
I've actually considered doing that to keep my sanity ,lol.
Good thing is, I just payed off my 2010 Wrangler after 5 years, so that's $600 that's not coming out every month. The bills are getting paid for now , but I just haven't paid much on my house lately (HLOC)

I updated my resume today , just in case , and have been prospecting what's out in the job market for me should I decide to leave.

I think if I get some bushtime in , that will help me a lot.

Thanks.