Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Default possible reasons behind High River grab

I've long thought about why the High River and Slave Lake grabs occurred, and the possible reasons behind it.

I propose that this operation was likely authorized at a very high level in government or the RCMP. To what purpose? To determine how compliant the population had been in registering their firearms under the FA.

Premise:
Not knowing is often bothersome to the authorities, who are known to be fond of nice clean accurate record keeping.

The Questions:
Despite the LGR, the government never had any real sense of how many firearms were actually owned by Canadians. There probably was a sense that many guns had never been registered.
How many was one question the High River gun grab was tasked to answer. Another benefit would be that it would be possible to quantify the overall level of national compliance with the former LGR.

Waiting for a Cover Story:
Let's suppose the above needed resolving before the defunct registry's data became even more out of date... Time is of the essence, but knowing Canadians value their rights, they had to wait for a good cover story with which to hoodwink us.

The Method - a door-to-door Inventory:
A statistically valid method is to choose a sample population, in a representative town, and do a door-to-door inventory. High River's flood (and earlier the firestorm in Slave Lake) presented the perfect cover stories to perform this door-to-door survey.

The Conclusions:
Any firearms found whose serial # they couldn't cross-reference to the old Registry, and that Customs records showed wasn't imported into the country since the Registry's demise, would with absolute certainty have been non-compliant with the defunct Registry - even though that gun might have changed hands after the Registry's demise.

What does this mean:
The government now has an accurate measure of how compliant Canadians are. This could be useful in terms of future improvements to the FA, to a future registry, and to future verification and enforcement processes.

What were the Costs:
Most seriously, repeated and severe breaches of our Constitutional rights.
Destruction and damage to households and to personal property.
In the long term, a further erosion of the population's trust in the RCMP and in government.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Let's admit it, the government agencies want to control us, motivation for just about anything they do.

Grizz
Old 01-08-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
I've long thought about why the High River and Slave Lake grabs occurred, and the possible reasons behind it.

I propose that this operation was likely authorized at a very high level in government or the RCMP. To what purpose? To determine how compliant the population had been in registering their firearms under the FA.

Premise:
Not knowing is often bothersome to the authorities, who are known to be fond of nice clean accurate record keeping.

The Questions:
Despite the LGR, the government never had any real sense of how many firearms were actually owned by Canadians. There probably was a sense that many guns had never been registered.
How many was one question the High River gun grab was tasked to answer. Another benefit would be that it would be possible to quantify the overall level of national compliance with the former LGR.

Let's suppose the above needed resolving before the defunct registry's data became even more out of date... Time is of the essence, but knowing Canadians value their rights, they had to wait for a good cover story with which to hoodwink us.

A statistically valid method is to choose a sample population, in a representative town, and do a door-to-door inventory. High River's flood (and earlier the firestorm in Slave Lake) presented the perfect cover stories to perform this door-to-door survey.

The Conclusions:
Any firearms found whose serial # they couldn't cross-reference to the old Registry, and that Customs records showed wasn't imported into the country since the Registry's demise, would with absolute certainty have been non-compliant with the defunct Registry - even though that gun might have changed hands after the Registry's demise.

What does this mean:
The government now has an accurate measure of how compliant Canadians are. This could be useful in terms of future improvements to the FA, to a future registry, and to future verification and enforcement processes.

What were the Costs:
In the long term, a further erosion of the population's trust in the RCMP and in government.
This is either joke or the 'Darwin" post of the year!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Default Gun grab

Darwin post? Do you even know what a "Darwin post" is?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Premise:

The Questions:

The Conclusions:

What does this mean:

What were the Costs:
Someone needs to loosen up his tin foil hat.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM

Yup tin foil hat time.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:37 PM

Most everything happens for a reason, especially when people are involved.

If what I propose is 'tinhattery', what alternative reasons would you propose?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:38 PM

The "Darwin Awards" are given out for acts of stupidy. What's your understanding? I did give the guy the opportunitty to say it was a joke.

If I understand correctly though, "twofifty" is suggesting that the RCMP decided during the 2 worst natural disasters in Alberta history that it would be an excellent idea to conduct a make shift "Angus Reid" poll into Canadian's compliance with the LGR.

I think he might have folded the tin foil hat a little too tight this time.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:41 PM

That's fine Brendan. Don't waste your time here.

Let's get some more opinions.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Let's admit it, the government agencies want to control us, motivation for just about anything they do.

Grizz
X2 damn it!
Sad to say but look around,skating rinks,door knobs,etc.
Read the news. How do you eat an elephant? One small bite at a time. Same goes for taking over a population. Use terrorism etc. fear is a wonderful tool.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:43 PM

I personally think it was a little more "innocent" (or at least less Machiavellian) than the OP suspects. Doesn't make it right, but I think someone was just too much of a nervous nellie about guns available to possible looters, and didn't think about (or value) the rights of gun owning citizens.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:47 PM

While I dont doubt that such information was gained and recorded from the gun grabs, it has limited use regarding tactical planning (ex: how likely is the govt to face armed resistance). I'd bet it had more to do with the 'what' question (what capabilities do citizens possess) than the 'how many'. An f-class setup represents a capability they wouldn't like. An old cooey 22....not so much.

I painted my tinfoil camo.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 PM

Brendons dad: if I told you 5 years ago that the NSA could monitor and record unlimited data on all electronic communications, you probably would have told me to loosen my hat. How did that turn out?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Banned

Gotta agree with Oko (partially). The government itself isn't concerned about guns to that extent. They pass gun laws to garner votes, not because they're concerned about gun violence.

Someone in the RCMP got paranoid about an armed uprising or some crazy guy getting his deer rifle and taking pot shots at them for not letting them back in their homes, and they figured they better scoop up the guns. Problem being, they don't have that power.

Darwin awards are for people that remove themselves from the gene pool...not solely stupidity. (and I will add that I am not insinuating anyone is stupid)
Old 01-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I personally think it was a little more "innocent" (or at least less Machiavellian) than the OP suspects. Doesn't make it right, but I think someone was just too much of a nervous nellie about guns available to possible looters, and didn't think about (or value) the rights of gun owning citizens.
Bingo. That combined with the fact that when the authorities shut down an area they are then far more liable for whatever happens there. Looting and stolen guns and the results of any of that. People and gov'ts tend to get "gun shy" whenever dealing with any potential liabilities. I dare say most RCMP would rather deal with the fallout from the high river gun show as it stands rather than be answering questions about a multiple homicide with a looted gun and how o' how could they let that happen. For them I'm sure it becomes a case of the lesser of two evils.

Whether one considers that a viable reason is one thing but certainly this is a far less sinister and reasonable conclusion than the OPs speculation.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Brendons dad: if I told you 5 years ago that the NSA could monitor and record unlimited data on all electronic communications, you probably would have told me to loosen my hat. How did that turn out?
Technology evolves so in your scenario anything is possible, I might be going to the rink in flying car some day. But, what the OP suggested is just plain silly.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 PM

Thank you for that clarification Ruga.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:13 PM

I think that theory is unlikely.
However if that was the case would i be surprised?
Not in the least
Moot point anyways really as it happened no matter what the motivation was.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:24 PM

I think they did it for three reasons. 1) Because they could. 2) Because in general they despise gun owners and will do everything they can to discourage people from owning guns. 3) Because they want to be seen as the one that calls the shots; i.e. proving they are in control, not the government. If I had to pick one reason it would be #1, (because they could). I do not think they feel they should answer to anyone including the government. Really though, what does it matter what we think? They don't care!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Gotta agree with Oko (partially). The government itself isn't concerned about guns to that extent. They pass gun laws to garner votes, not because they're concerned about gun violence.

Someone in the RCMP got paranoid about an armed uprising or some crazy guy getting his deer rifle and taking pot shots at them for not letting them back in their homes, and they figured they better scoop up the guns. Problem being, they don't have that power.

Darwin awards are for people that remove themselves from the gene pool...not solely stupidity. (and I will add that I am not insinuating anyone is stupid)
Ahhhhhhh were the rifles not all secure behind a RCMP road block?

Just goes to show how easily fooled some are!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The "Darwin Awards" are given out for acts of stupidy. What's your understanding? I did give the guy the opportunitty to say it was a joke.

If I understand correctly though, "twofifty" is suggesting that the RCMP decided during the 2 worst natural disasters in Alberta history that it would be an excellent idea to conduct a make shift "Angus Reid" poll into Canadian's compliance with the LGR.

I think he might have folded the tin foil hat a little too tight this time.

The "poll" was not about compliance with the LGR, but about compliance with the Authority.

The RCMP remarked during the High River episode that its actions were now authorized in principal (but not necessarily law) as public outrage was insufficient during the Slave Lake confiscations.

A little piece at a time....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-08-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Agreed and this is coming from a guy who actually had my guns taken! Is what it is, it sucks but people blow things way out of the water.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 PM

Dry run for gun confiscation.

Molon Labe
Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 PM

Wow! What do you think the next natural disaster that they will hood wink us again will be?
WDF
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Banned

IMO the LGR, the firearms act, the restricted registry etc are all means of control for a certain percentage of the population. It's been said many times, the criminal element cares not about our laws - but law abiding citizens will respect them. Walks like a duck...

I think this was about pushing the public to see how far they can go. There wasn't a whole lot of backlash in reality, now the police are making it a policy to seize firearms in any disaster.

Stay tuned, it'll happen again.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
It was not innocent at all, it was part of someone's master plan to control a town. It worked for them once before

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The "poll" was not about compliance with the LGR, but about compliance with the Authority.

The RCMP remarked during the High River episode that its actions were now authorized in principal (but not necessarily law) as public outrage was insufficient during the Slave Lake confiscations.

A little piece at a time....
You do realize that the same clowns that had their fingers in Slave Lake had their fingers in High River. They got away with it once, High River just happened to hit a raw nerve with a lot more people
Old 01-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Premise:
The Questions:

The Conclusions:
What does this mean:
What were the Costs:
It seems like you're arriving at a lot of conclusions from a lot of suppositions.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:19 PM

To me they're not so much suppositions as they are a somewhat logical presentation of a hypothesis and the sequence of possible motives and actions behind the events that occured.

Others in this thread have presented other equally possible motives.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
To me they're not so much suppositions as they are a somewhat logical presentation of a hypothesis and the sequence of possible motives and actions behind the events that occured.
Others in this thread have presented other equally possible motives.
Your logic is flawless... now I see!
My point is that you can dream up as many possible motives as you like.

Last edited by drhu22; 01-08-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 PM

I also agree with Oko...

I think someone with a lot of stripes got a little too big for his britches and wrote a cheque his arse couldn't cash. The problem was the poked a sleeping bear and like the proverbial snow ball rolling down the hill, it got way ahead of them and there was no stopping it. That snow ball got REALLY big...

Now, it is a matter of the brass covering for one of their own big boys. Because if it gets out that this decision was made by someone high up (as it was IMHO) as opposed to the local guys, the ramifications of how this looks to John Q. Public is massive!

This is a living example of what happens when you tell one little lie...

"Meh...what's the worst that can happen?"

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015