Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2015, 04:24 PM

Default SPOT Automatic Charges on Credit Cards

Just got bombed with $241.79 from SPOT without my authorization on my credit card.

Had to call the credit card company to investigate and reverse what was an unauthorized charge.

For a service that I have not used, on an outdated device, for an amount more than a new device, this was fantastic.

Anyone else have this experience with SPOT?

Worst part is, there are a lot better devices out now, so why they would try and gouge is beyond belief. I won't be back.

Drewski
Old 01-21-2015, 06:08 PM

I was thinking of buying a spot so what would be a better device? Will spot let you sign up without using a credit card or bank card?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:30 PM

What the heck is SPOT????
Old 01-21-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
http://international.findmespot.com/

Basically a GPS device that lets you send im safe or need help messages and what not.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Thumbs down

The exact same thing happened to me. I had cancelled it a couple of years ago and of course my better have looks after the finances and asked me one day what was this charge on the credit card? I looked at it sure enough they had charged me for 18 months after I deactivated the spot. After talking numerous people they finally credited my credit card back the full amount.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 PM

They just contacted me by email to confirm that policy was going to expire and I needed to renew. When I did not renew they called to confirm that I was OK without service and I just arranged to renew in the Spring.

My annual service plan is $60 but I only have the basic unit. What do you get for $241?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Every hunter should have a SPOT. Its a hunters best friend. I don't go hunting or hiking without one.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Every hunter should have a SPOT. Its a hunters best friend. I don't go hunting or hiking without one.
Why?

I agree they are a great tool, but I wonder how many today can no longer use a compass, map and dead reckoning. Sad to see bushcraft that was used for hundreds of years disappear so quickly.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Sounds like a good tool to have if you're out in the bush or back 40's.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Why?

I agree they are a great tool, but I wonder how many today can no longer use a compass, map and dead reckoning. Sad to see bushcraft that was used for hundreds of years disappear so quickly.

A spot is going to replace any of those, if you don't know where you are it isn't going to help you. I use mine for work as I have to check in on 2hr intervals and often is is my only source of communication. If there ever is a major issue / injury it could very well be the difference between survival or not. Bushcraft only goes so far when your legs are broken.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 PM

I carry a spot anytime I'm hunting outside cell service. Very important piece of kit.

Haven't discontinued service yet, but when I do, I'll keep an eye on my statements.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
A spot is going to replace any of those, if you don't know where you are it isn't going to help you. I use mine for work as I have to check in on 2hr intervals and often is is my only source of communication. If there ever is a major issue / injury it could very well be the difference between survival or not. Bushcraft only goes so far when your legs are broken.
x2 on the broken legs. Where's that heli!!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Why?

It doesn't replace bushcraft, it just gives your loved ones some piece of mind when you are out and about.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:00 PM

To the op. I pay just over 100 or so per year for basic service. I get an email as a reminder prior to it expiring which I appreciate.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Why?

I agree that bushcraft is essential but as others have said, SPOT is not a navigation tool. It is an emergency transponder that is very effective and affordable.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 PM

The missus wont let me wander off alone without the inReach...
Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 AM

Necessary tool IMO and have been related to someone whom needed it in the past. Unfortunately his son passed away but without the help of the tool, there would not have been any chance of survival at all.

Like any services you auto-pay, always watch what is being withdrawn as you never know who's mitts are in your pockets.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 AM

My fishing buddy has one and based on what I saw I picked one up at Christmas. Not a navigation device but a great way to be safe in the bush and also for marking and mapping your locations. Makes the wife much more at ease when I am in the boonies. Wish I knew about it when my Mom was alive. it would be a great device for seniors to send an instant email for help also.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-22-2015, 07:31 AM

On star does this as well. When you first buyt hat new gm, the salesman will sit in the car and "activate" your onstar, cause it's free for the first six months or year or whatever. He gives them the vin of your new car and your name etc, the then the nice onstar person makes you a offer of 300 phone minutes for 15 bucks. Does that sound good? Well yes it does. So you make a purchase for 15 bucks on your credit card. When your free onstar expires in six months, they auto renew and use your retained information from the 15 dollar authorized purchase , and put thru unauthorized charges. It's theft. Plain and simple. Visa will actually argue with you and tell you you agreed to the terms of use when you subscribed with onstar. I had to write several emails and threaten to call the rcmp before onstar refunded half the stolen funds, and visa refunded the other half. It was quite a goat rope. I really felt like visa was In on the scam with onstar.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
It is an electronic thingee for persons incapable of using a compass , a topographical map or exhibiting basic common sense,,,
Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 AM

I use mine for when I snowmobile in the mountains, a good added option to have in your backpack in the backcountry.
I also do know that they send me a contact through the email I have set up confirm that my subscription is coming due and that I will be auto charged to the credit card I have provided unless I contact them. ( it is probably in the agreement terms I clicked on also way back) Hopefully it is not the case of just deleting these thinking it was spam, or that it went to you spam and now it is SPOTS responsibility.

This is just my dealings with SPOT over many years. I have never had to use the service , but it is a great tool to have in my backpack. I never use lots of things I pack but the one time I do! Worth every penny.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
It is an electronic thingee for persons incapable of using a compass , a topographical map or exhibiting basic common sense,,,

This is completely incorrect as well as an irresponsible response which obviously comes from a lack of information and education.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
This is completely incorrect as well as an irresponsible response which obviously comes from a lack of information and education.
lmao, a lot of people think they are invincible because they have one of those in their pocket,

Just press the button and life saving help will be there immediately, no matter what the location or what the weather , etc,etc,etc

You feel safe with one in your pocket ? No sweat off my azz ,,,
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
lmao, a lot of people think they are invincible because they have one of those in their pocket,

Just press the button and life saving help will be there immediately, no matter what the location or what the weather , etc,etc,etc

Better to have one and not need it then need it and not have it. It's kind of like a seatbelt. Sometimes it will save your life, sometimes it won't. But then again you have no clue how they operate as you proved by your earlier post so why bother posting.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Please cite an example of a person acting in a such a way just because of having a device like this in their possession?

Might be no sweat off your azz, but your definitely talking out of it.

No doubt there are stupid people doing stupid things out in the bush, and something like a spot might not save them. But sometimes bad things happen to those that do it all right, and one of these could give them a fighting chance.

Not to mention the simple function of letting you check in with loved ones saying your okay is very useful for a lot of people. But you would need people in your life to care about you to understand why this function is important...
Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 AM

A lot of people enjoy the bush for the challenge ,isolation and to escape the trappings of modern technology the last thing many want is a safety line to civilization it kinda ruins the whole experience.
Hell i feel like a ***** for bringing a bic lighter.
But to each there own im not going to judge you for useing a spot but i understand elkdumps perspective.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM

I found it interesting how many people are to "tough" to carry satellite communication. I wonder if they have never been in the bush very far. I carry a compass/map ect but I regularly travel 60-100 Kms into the bush with snowmobile. I know exactly where I am and how to walk out but I have no intention of doing that. Why would I when a quick message can send one of my friends in to get me. Have also flown into very remote lakes to fish. Compass won't do much good there either. I much prefer a sat phone or Delorme over Spot cuz when someone should come get me, it's one of my buddies, not some Stars Helicopter
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Our company probably got at least 20 SPOTS. You check in at the end of the day. Never used yet in a emergency situation but they have them. We also have GPS tracking in all our trucks.

We used to use SAT phones. Some jobs we had to check in every 2 hours that was a pain in the azz.

I also have one for personal use. But also linked to the company I work for. They pay for it. hehehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Spoke to a search and rescue tech one day, who mentioned that an EXPERIENCED hunter was late getting back from a sheep hunt in the mountains a couple years ago, and they were called in.
Found his truck at a trailhead after much searching, as he left only general info on where he was hunting, and they finally did find him. Apparently he was successful and had safely dropped off the first load of meat to his truck and was coming out with the second when he fell about 30 feet and got badly hurt. They determined that he survived for a day or so on the ledge, then finally expired. If he had a SPOT with him it could have made all the difference in this case, according to the search team! I've carried one in the packsack since then. Each to their own!
RBH
Old 01-22-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Why?

I think you are thinking of a GPS. A compass can't call emergency rescue or let your wife know you will be home late.