Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 PM

Default Garage suite sewer drainage

I'm considering building a garage suite in edmonton. I've got a pie lot so the garage will be quite far from the sewer. What would be the typical drainage setup? Sump?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_forget View Post
I'm considering building a garage suite in edmonton. I've got a pie lot so the garage will be quite far from the sewer. What would be the typical drainage setup? Sump?
I do not believe garage suites are legal in Edmonton.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I do not believe garage suites are legal in Edmonton.
They are on certain lots currently. But they are relaxing the requirements to allow garage suites on all lots in mature neighbourhoods.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_forget View Post
They are on certain lots currently. But they are relaxing the requirements to allow garage suites on all lots in mature neighbourhoods.
That is awesome. My friend in TX has one and I really like it.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:21 PM

I'm a plumber and even I'm a bit curious on what the City of Calgary will require for such an endeavor. I built our place and stubbed a sewer line out under the rear foundation wall into the back yard for the same purpose, the kicker is that generally separate buildings are required to have separate sewer mains. Semi-attached/duplex homes for instance have separate sewer and water mains, but there may be some allowance for the buildings to be twinned in a residential detached situation. I would avoid a sump pump, as they tend to be high maintenance, aside from the fact you'd need to bury the line deep enough to avoid the frost so there would really be no advantage. I would check with the Edmonton plumbing inspectors office for clarification, nothing like getting it right from the horses mouth. As your sewer will be beneath your basement, and your garage will not likely have a basement you should have sufficient elevation available to get 1/8" per foot grade on a 4" line out to the structure, tying it in to your existing sewer will involve breaking open the basement floor, running a branch off your main to the back yard and the necessary excavation. A parallel trench may be necessary for other services, but your water service can go in the same trench as the sewer.