Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Banned

Talking

That's the reality we live in, seen arrows stickin out of critters more than once, people need to be proficient before the go and try bow hunting. Seems everyone thinks their sharpshooters these days, the deer was either lookin at him broad side and missed horribly (did not know his limitations)or he was just being a jerk and intentionally tried going for a head shot. No respect for the animal or the sport either way.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
That's the reality we live in, seen arrows stickin out of critters more than once, people need to be proficient before the go and try bow hunting. Seems everyone thinks their sharpshooters these days, the deer was either lookin at him broad side and missed horribly (did not know his limitations)or he was just being a jerk and intentionally tried going for a head shot. No respect for the animal or the sport either way.
Not to single you out but how the heck do you know anything about this particular situation ? Was it your less than proficient skills that sent this arrow ? Or were you the jerk that intentionally went for the pumpkin ?

As I stated before, stuff happens and I agree with MK on this post should be deleted.

We are our own worst enemy. The Anti's need not look further than our community to support their position.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I remember for a week that Ed the Duck was headline news in Calgary. IIRC, Ed had the plastic retainer that keeps a six pack together stuck on his head. Around the world people suffered but Ed had Calgarians in an uproar. There was talk from banning beer to lynching red neck beer drinkers.

This isn't quite as ridiculous but right up there. There was a time not long ago when this would have been the definition of a free lunch.

Killing is sometimes a messy business and shots are missed. If there is a young hunter reading this thread in disgust or perhaps even the actual hunter that took this shot, let me be the first to say; It can happen to anyone. It's not a matter of if, it is when. Unless you are a liar or too lazy to actually hunt and a liar, some shot, someday, will not go exactly as planned. On day one someone should have popped this animal behind the ear and be barbecuing the results, not re-posting, sharing and clucking like a bunch of startled hens.

The OP should be ashamed for posting this on a hunting forum and giving it more air time for the anti hunting crowd to find it. Why not just email direct and be done with it? The thread should be deleted and forgotten about. There will be hundreds of deer wounded and left to die on the side of the high way over the next couple of months. Thank goodness there is good people out there harvesting the meat in a humane manner and causing less suffering for these animals by controlling populations.
I doubt the OP is the original photographer! Second is the deer is reported to be in camrose . Many many people have seen this animal!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:12 PM

It is important to remember fish and wildlife has a mandate . This is to inforce the law . Simalar to rcmp and a car crash rcmp deal with whos at fault and the ambulance deals with first aid and such.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I doubt the OP is the original photographer! Second is the deer is reported to be in camrose . Many many people have seen this animal!
I have no doubt the OP didn't take the shot. The shot shows hunters in a bad light. Sharing, re-posting and squawking like this act compares to a war crime is laughable. What possible good could come from posting this on a hunting forum?

Second, it doesn't matter where it is and part of my point is why are so many people babbling on about this instead of barbecuing?

I don't see a lot of pictures of deer suffering in the ditch after being hit by a soccer mom's mini van. Deer are wounded every day, why are we giving this air time and attracting unwanted publicity to something that really has nothing to do with us.

I could post up 100 pictures of road kill and I would get absolutely zero likes or shares. This image is re-posted only because of the arrow and evil hunter that inflicted this unthinkable injury.

Now are we part of the problem or not?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:45 PM

I live in Camrose, and we have a large population of mule deer in our city. The highest scoring mule deer that I have seen lives in central Camrose, and I am actually surprised that he hasn't been poached.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:43 PM

Deer has been put down.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Deer has been put down.
Thats good to hear, at least the deer isn't suffering anymore.

Im wondering if this was just some yahoo shooting in his back yard. The photo isn't the greatest but it looks like a field point to me. If so then the incident did not take place during a legal hunt.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 PM

I would like to see arrows marked with win# . This would help a lot on finding out what really happed because you would get info from the guy that let it fly just my thoughts
Old 09-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I would like to see arrows marked with win# . This would help a lot on finding out what really happed because you would get info from the guy that let it fly just my thoughts
That used to be law, I don’t know why the ever stopped doing that.

Moose, any info as to who took it down? Was it fish and game?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info not a bow hunter .
Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 PM

They stopped basically because it didn’t serve a purpose...try writing multiple years WIN and license info on carbon arrows. We used to write it on the aluminum arrows....couldn’t be on the fletches.

LC
Old 09-24-2018, 02:55 PM

it sure would help in a case like this
Old 09-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Deer has been put down.
Good news.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That used to be law, I don’t know why the ever stopped doing that.

Moose, any info as to who took it down? Was it fish and game?
Don’t know. Was posted on Camrose rant and rave. Gotta think it was fins and feathers or someone they designated to do it.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:43 PM

How's the WIN on the arrow going to help? If it was a poacher, he wouldn't have wrote his WIN on the arrow. If it was a poor shot (or deflection, or the deer jumped the string, etc.) by a legimate hunter who was trying to do things right, why would we want F and W to punish the hunter?

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
How's the WIN on the arrow going to help? If it was a poacher, he wouldn't have wrote his WIN on the arrow. If it was a poor shot (or deflection, or the deer jumped the string, etc.) by a legimate hunter who was trying to do things right, why would we want F and W to punish the hunter?
Maybe they are stamped at the time of purchase? But even then I guess you don’t need a win if you only plan on targets.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Arrowhead deer Camrose.

This may very well not be the case, but don’t be surprised that it could be the result of one of our modern day bowhunters that think that taking 80 yard shots at animals is OK.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:38 PM

There is no proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was not an accident!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 PM

I don't get why F&W won't even put it out of its misery. Don't expect them to catch it and to pay huge vet bills only to see it has to be put down, but doing nothing seems wrong.