Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Not hatin stinky,, not at all.. But even you have to admit that it was more of a target for you,, I mean you never even mentioned in your post that it was a hunt but the most important part was the distance you even made a point to put it on a peice of cardboard to ensure that the distance was the main point of the post not the animal in fact the animal is secondary in the picture.. So I made the comment that it was a good shot which it is by all means a good shot.. We all know that you take pride in your shooting and that you are very proficent at it you often tell us of your exploits. And we know you practice at many a target only differance here is that you used a deer as a target I personelly got no problem with that. But lets not make the waters murky that was the main jest of the post. And I know that it will not go to waste we have all read your posts and know thats not the case.. So hence my comment good shooting and enjoy your target.. Nothing sinister about it just calling it what it is...
Well then....thanks! The target will be enjoyed by a family who can really use it. I did a lot talking the talk this fall.....was just hoping to walk the walk and the opportunity showed up.....so i walked the walk. I simply wanted to take fellow ABO folks through my little journey into long range hunting. I'm not even close to pro, don't even reload yet....i'm simply getting my feet wet into it and sharing it. So if people want to try it out then maybe my posts will help them get started? There are lots of guys out there you never see on the forum who can and are doing it to way longer ranges...or they are ON this forum but you'll never hear them blab about what they're doing as they could care less what other people think....i too could care less but the reason i blab is more to motivate or educate what i'm learning as i experiment...so others can draw from it. Best of the West was the first to take long range hunting mainstream imo....its just filtering down all over the place now. I'm just one who's getting his feet wet into it....and sharing it.

I have more time to prepare for hunting than to go hunting now....so i try to be efficient about it....if that means i can learn to shoot well to longer ranges then so be it.

But since it appears a debate about hunting or shooting is looming why not....here goes.

It takes a lot more work to be prepared for a 500 yrd shot than to actually stalk a whitetail doe to 100 yrds. Does that make me any less of a hunter? A guy who thinks about it 24/7, preps like a mofugger all year long and then applies his preparation? Vs the guy who shoots his gun just before the season just to see if zero is still close and finds close enough deer and shoots them but hardly eats/sleeps/breathes hunting the rest of the year? Tell me....who's more of a hunter? Food for thought maybe?

Its like argueing bow hunters vs gun hunters. Lots of bow hunters think gun hunters are not hunters.....cuz its too easy to get them with a gun...you don't have to 'hunt' them but rather just 'shoot' them. Now that guys are taking firearms to new levels for hunting applications the same arugment needs to happen? Its not hunting anymore? Bull. Go try it, you'll see what it takes to shoot well long distance....i tried to be as helpful about it as possible for those who might be interested in becoming more prepared.

Peace love my brothers from other mothers.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey, if you can get the job done from farther than 100 yards, then why bother?
.............................no arguement here.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
Try spotting your game at 500-800 yards, then stalking within 100 yards for the shot. Then you will have my attention. Everyone respects the different hunts differently. An archer stalking within range of a 54 in bull moose always impressed me more than the guy shooting a 54" moose at 800 yard with a .338 lapua mag. The guy with the mag, 99 percent of the time always gets another chance at a shot while so many variables affect the archer's shot which is usually his one and only shot. To each there own i guess. Congrats on your shot.
Yeah, my partner could hardly find the little does in the bino's, he found them just in time for me to tell him i was taking the right one and boom. Then the other one ran off and he couldn't find anything once he opened his eyes back up from the noise etc. They are small targets that far but it was mostly because of the backdrop and the sun hitting everything just right...they blended perfectly into the landscape with the naked eye. I had seen them from a different angle though so i knew they were there, only took a minute to find them. I'm impressed with a guy who can shoot well on game to 500-1000 yrds as i am with a guy who can do it with a bow from 50 to 80 yrds. Either dude has to put some serious time in to gain the proficiency needed to get that 'prepared' imo. And to me thats all part of hunting and what makes a hunter good. The more prep guys do the more serious hunter they are in my eyes.

But i could really care less how far involved people get...take it to your own level with your own weapon...i will never slag you or complain about it. And for those of you who like to try new things etc. thank goodness for people who go out of their way to teach/give their experiences in the same thing you happen to be interested at the moment.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-25-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM

wow ...congrats on the deer...
Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Everyone has a hunting style they enjoy. I can crack clay pigeons laying against a berm all day long at 500 yards using shooting sticks and my .257 Weatherby Magnum but its the open sighted levers that i carry into the bush 9 times out of ten for my pure enjoyment. Thursday i will be working my grunt tube and rattling antlers with a 16" barrelled .30-.30 Trapper in hand and keeping the magnums in the locker at home. I enjoy seeing how close i can get without getting busted. To each there own.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

Longdraw beat me too it, i was posting (took a couple phone calls etc.) and missed a bunch lol...but he said it about as real as real gets.

So are we done boys? Lets get back to being friends okay.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:35 PM

WTG Stinky.

As for all the Ubber pureists, why are you using metalic cartridges?
Maybe you should be using flintlocks and smooth bore Brown Bess muskets.
Better yet how about trying some spear hunting.

Love your comitmnet to the practice and evaluation regiment Stinky.
Congrats.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Great shooting Stinky wish had the time to practice at long ranges.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=LongDraw;217891]
I will go out on a limb and say that Stinky is more accurate at 500 yards than the majority of you guys are at 250 yards in field conditions. QUOTE]

Now Longdraw.....I KNOW that was directed at me.........if it wasn't true you'ld have a scrap on your hands

I got two words for you Stinky......NICE SHOT

tm
Old 11-24-2008, 04:44 PM

Don't understand what the issue is. Here's a guy who has developed his tool (gun), practiced and become proficient with it. The result is 1 shot, 1 clean kill. 100 yards or 500 yards who cares. It was a clean, humane, kill. End of story.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
Try spotting your game at 500-800 yards, then stalking within 100 yards for the shot. Then you will have my attention. Everyone respects the different hunts differently. An archer stalking within range of a 54 in bull moose always impressed me more than the guy shooting a 54" moose at 800 yard with a .338 lapua mag. The guy with the mag, 99 percent of the time always gets another chance at a shot while so many variables affect the archer's shot which is usually his one and only shot. To each there own i guess. Congrats on your shot.
Agree with Leverboy but this is simply because of a difference in interests. I think it is equally difficult to be accurate and deadly in long shots versus sneaking in for a close shot but they are just different skills. I personally find animals more interesting than the firearms we use to get them but I don't think this makes me better than those who are enthralled with firearms. I think that is the same thing Leverboy was saying...I think.

People who don't practice shooting their firearms seem to be more likely to lose an injured animal than the long shooters who do practice all the time, and lost meat and suffering animals is what we are all really concerned about, right?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Way to go, Stinky. What a great payoff for your hard work!

Enjoy the fine eats!

Stinky B.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=Stinky Coyote;217900] I'm not even close to pro, don't even reload yet....i'm simply getting my feet wet into it and sharing it. So if people want to try it out then maybe my posts will help them get started? There are lots of guys out there you never see on the forum who can and are doing it to way longer ranges...or they are ON this forum but you'll never hear them blab about what they're doing as they could care less what other people think....
D/QUOTE]

And there are those that are very experienced competitive shooters who shoot thousands of rounds a year at distances to a 1000 yds and longer with top notch equipment who would never consider shooting live targets at those same distances. Each to his own, I'm sure they have there own good reasons why they won't.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Banned

Lots of guys out there who's comfort level is WAY beyond what they've practiced too.

Its an individual thing. I feel pretty good to about 75% of what i practice in most my shooting...gun/bow....in most circumstances and closer to 100% of what i practice under ideal conditions. The comfort level WILL be different for everyone.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-25-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
you even made a point to put it on a peice of cardboard to ensure that the distance was the main point of the post

Just to clarify, i didn't go out that day just to find a long shot. Just happened that way. We were looking for much better/closer opportunities for my friend (new hunter) but never found any that morning.

The cardboard was the back piece of cardboard of the notepad i keep in my truck...i keep a pen stuck to the notepad.......so we made do with what we had....a sharpie marker would have been better but........ It was an after thought.....something that popped into my head as we were driving the truck up to the deer to dress it out etc.......just copying the guys on the long range forums....i thought it was kind of funny....my feeble attempt to compete with the true long range guru's....who's signs read way longer distances than mine....thats all that was.

We went hunting, thats what we got. No intention or specific plans to make this happen. I kind of hoped that i'd get an opportunity like this at some point in the season but other than that i sure didn't expect it or try real hard to find it.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-25-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM

awesome shootin'. 500 thats a longgggg shot. Congrats
Old 11-25-2008, 12:10 PM

Hey Stinky, I have no interest in entering this debate. You said it yourself, you talk the talk, you walked the walk.

To you I say congratulations!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Leverboy- A person could just keep going down the distance/weapon ladder... A a bowhunter with a compound could say the same to to you about spotting it at 100 yards (where you would kill) and sneak to 40 yards. Then the Trad archer would say sneak to 20 yards, then the archer who shoots a self bow would say sneak to 15 yards. It is all relative to what a person chooses and what they become proficeint with. Did the hog mulie that Stinky killed with his bow earn your "attention"??

well said

let's go all back to spears and self-made bows.

congrats Stinky on a fine hunt
Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Nice shot stink. Did the coyotes get em' before you walked up to it?

I can relate to the amount of practice it would take to become confident at a distance like that, good on yah for keeping the challenge up. Plus you got some tasty dinners out of it.