Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 PM

Default Camping for the night need help

I was thinking about headed out to brazeau reservoir tonight dose anyone know if the camping spots will be full there or if anyone has any experience camping on a weekend there? Thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 01:55 PM

Try calling the info number on this site.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/brazeau-r...on-facilities/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-06-2016, 02:49 PM

Thanks I called that number and all the camping spots are full.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:48 PM

Dose anyone know any other spots around there maybe off a river or a creek?
Old 08-06-2016, 04:46 PM

The whole area is crown land. You should be able to find somewhere to open camp. It might require a little driving around to find a spot. Google earth will show you all the lease roads around the dam area and maybe give you an idea.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Perfect I'm almost out here thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Banned

A friend just told me campers are having issues with theft in this area lately. Keep an eye open.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 AM

Province just issued a 3 page list of all the fines now for camping in Foothills. I believe it was $500 for open fire, $250 for speeding with quad, camp within 100 meters of lakeshore $150, Failure to dispose of waste $150. Soon will be cheaper to pay for expensive BC camp spot.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
A friend just told me campers are having issues with theft in this area lately. Keep an eye open.
This has been going on for years. It has a lot to do with your proximity to a certain hunk of land.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 AM

I random camp in the area all the time. Lots of nice camping there but like said lock up your stuff! I know of lots of people who's stuff go missing in the night or when they are gone during the day. I try to stay closer to lodge pole less theft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Province just issued a 3 page list of all the fines now for camping in Foothills. I believe it was $500 for open fire, $250 for speeding with quad, camp within 100 meters of lakeshore $150, Failure to dispose of waste $150. Soon will be cheaper to pay for expensive BC camp spot.
Not that it will stop me but I am curious as to what determines an open fire exactly ? One with a rock base ? Or you are now required the ring like in a campground ? Or no fire at all ? If it's no fire at all our government will have a great new cash cow with people gladly paying like cigarettes.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Not that it will stop me but I am curious as to what determines an open fire exactly ? One with a rock base ? Or you are now required the ring like in a campground ? Or no fire at all ? If it's no fire at all our government will have a great new cash cow with people gladly paying like cigarettes.
That's a good question. I was wondering the same thing
Old 08-07-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
My guess is the realization by legislators that the vast majority of 'campers' now are motorized-vehicle weekenders who leave black charcoal spots smoldering on the ground all over the place containing a few half-burned logs. Complete with camping remnants that could be washed down into lakes.

Obviously, on a limited and sparse scale, making a small fire for cooking/washing or even just for effect is no big deal if everything is burned down to ashes on a bed of rocks, then quenched. Especially if the next guy does the same thing on the same spot. But that's not how it seems to work anymore. It's both a load (numbers) problem due to overpopulation and a carelessness problem together. On top that of that, watching a 50-mile front of fire a hundred feet high burn down part of a city causes all sorts of legal hysterics.

Outside of overnight hiking/tent camping where the weight penalty of a stove might be prohibitive, especially if you're packing a rifle, in most cases I can't see where open fires have a whole lot of advantages over a small stove. Especially if you want to bring it inside a wall tent. If you've fallen into freezing water and need a lot of heat to dry out quick, that's a different problem - hopefully you don't do that very often.

A small [wood] stove with chimney concentrates heat and channels smoke way better, and lets you control the burn better. Hotter fires mean less smoke. Most European household cooking was done over open fires up until the 1700's, until population growth and squabbles over wood got ugly. Then masonry and iron stoves became widespread out of necessity.

I pretty much see the same thing happening here now. If you come in with any sort of motorized vehicle, the weight penalty of a well-designed small stove is benign. Shouldn't be much of a problem for a pack horse either.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Please read the actual legislation, many of those requirements ie. open fires apply to Provinvial reacreation areas not the actual public lands use zones. Might want to have a read. There is also a thread started on this.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Please read the actual legislation, many of those requirements ie. open fires apply to Provinvial reacreation areas not the actual public lands use zones. Might want to have a read. There is also a thread started on this.

This alone could keep you busy.

Thanks.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 AM

The first line of the document states "effective Aug 6,2016 for violations on Alberta Public lands" seems quite clear.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Specific sections apply only to certain areas, such as provincial recreation areas not all public lands. Requires reading the individual sections to determine where the legislation actually is in effect.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Banned

A camp fire is a must have, kicking back by a propane stove with a cold one just sounds wrong. I can see these specific rules in a provincial park regarding an open fire and I've never seen anyone start a fire outside the proper spots but obviously it is happening