Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 PM

any trout near bearspaw dam???might head out there after school ends
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 PM

all u need to learn is how to read the water and presentation... I believe everything will work with right presentation.
My friend always caught lots of fish on streamers, I guess rap will just work the same (i.e. picking on aggressive fish). The only problem is that with spin rod, you can't get a nature drift when fishing most of sections in the river, just something wrong with presentation.
Of course, rap works in a spot on the river. Such as the hole in the side channel below glenmore that people fish a lot with spin gear

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
all u need to learn is how to read the water and presentation... I believe everything will work with right presentation.
My friend always caught lots of fish on streamers, I guess rap will just work the same (i.e. picking on aggressive fish). The only problem is that with spin rod, you can't get a nature drift when fishing most of sections in the river, just something wrong with presentation.
Of course, rap works in a spot on the river. Such as the hole in the side channel below glenmore that people fish a lot with spin gear

Just my 2 cents.
that hole is where i landed my first brown! and i fish it time to time with no luck on it lol but the same trout is always within 20 feet of the pool. beside the rocks or whatever i catch him everytime im out!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
He doesn't have to fly fish to catch fish on the bow.....it just tends to be hit and miss some days....
X10 on this point! It never ceases to amaze me when some guys happen to hit the Bow on a good day & goes on & on about how easy it is to have a 20+ fish day there lol. The truth is most days @ this time of year 3-7 fish is a decent day on the Bow. Sure there are days in June or September when I've had 15-25 fish days on the Bow but those are days when everything is just right & I'm humbley glad when it happens Sometimes they are just "off" no matter what some people try to tell you.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
X10 on this point! It never ceases to amaze me when some guys happen to hit the Bow on a good day & goes on & on about how easy it is to have a 20+ fish day there lol. The truth is most days @ this time of year 3-7 fish is a decent day on the Bow. Sure there are days in June or September when I've had 15-25 fish days on the Bow but those are days when everything is just right & I'm humbley glad when it happens Sometimes they are just "off" no matter what some people try to tell you.
i respect your opinion, but i believe its more the fisherman is off..not the fish. 2500 fish per mile......the fisherman needs a tactical change some days

we agree to disagree
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
by no means does he need to take up flyfishng catch Bow river fish but in my opinion it adds a very effective technique to fish the Bow.

I dont mean to demean anyone or sound like a chest puffing azz but Bow river fish are constantly on the feed and are for the most part hungry and catchable.

pending water conditions really play the only variable in their where abouts. Therefore learning to read water is the hardest lesson as with any stream or river. The Bow is famous for its Bank and Tail water fishery. A single boulder will hold many fish in the summer and fall come winter and spring its a single fish lie, maybe a 2 fish lie at best. By winter and early spring its important to know pools with some depth, here fish will be stacked like cordwood. Most fisherman just dont use enough weight or lead. Some of the best pools on the Bow are tough to see. The current runs hard off a rocky riffle shelf but beneath it is a 5-10 hole that is hidden. Its tough to present anything in this situation. All one can do is fire alot of lead up into the riffle and walk it along till the flies and lead drop into the pool. The more drastic the ledge the more fish, many pools containing 20+ fish. The good buzz bomb fisherman on the Bow have this figured out also. Even when summer comes and Caddis are buzzing around and fish are jumping, the majority of Big Bow river fish are deep, some will come shallow after dark.
Most of the bow river fish posted here lately are just average size fish...thats what makes the Bow famous. They are plentifull and cooperative. But they will move from place to place and some times school in places most fisherman wont cast into.
XXX222

This is the key for sure,, learning how to read the depth from the surface water,, I sent the OP a Pm on looking for shiny flat water on a steady swift flow, which means a good (and maybe) short hole or indent out in the stream. There are numerous spots on the east side of the river south of 22X where there are fine undercuts close to shore and give you a good idea of water type.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
if you try walking up and downstream aways away from the crowd/preasure it helps ALOT
??? Didn't get that, sorry.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 PM

a
Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM

crap, i was using fire tiger...

that guy was using like a 6 or 7 inch ranbow trout lure..
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
if you stick with that bait yull have more confidence in it then yull automaticly twet yur lure to get results, and yes its called fishin not catchin
what do you mean? by bait u mean maggots?