Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Non Resident fresh water Licence in BC

Just wondering what thoughts were on the cost of a fresh water fishing licence in BC. I purchase an annual licence every year and it steams me every time I see what they charge their own residents vs. Canadians from other provinces. Correct me if I'm wrong but Alberta charges the same fee to non-res. Canadians as they do for Albertans. I just received a angling survey in the mail from them and decided to write them a letter voicing my opinion
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Yeah, we should charge the heck out of them as well to fish in Alberta. Maybe write a letter to your own MLA and the minister as well.

Voicing your opinion to the BC govt wont likely change anything, but it may very well help for the Alberta govt to change ours.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM

silly BC residents got it so easy
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Alberta charges the same for all CANADIAN residents. Saskatchewan is similar. I wish AB would charge more for "out of province residents". I live in BC and AB but mostly in AB so when I go to BC I choose to pay AB resident price for the license, plus daily classified waters fees plus tags for Rainbows on Kootenay Lake plus my Sal****er license eventhough I could produce a BC address. Those are their rules and I believe in more funding for conservation programs and research etc. AB needs to get with the times and if we want to go to BC and load up on Salmon or BIG Rainbows, we should pay for it. I can't go to the movies with a date or my nephew for $25.

In my humble but opinionated opinon.

No offense to the OP. I see your point 110%.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 AM

Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM

I think that B.C can charge that because of the fact they are a much sought after fishing destination, I'd say more so than Alberta. Cheap fishing licenses can help to generate more tourism into Alberta, or at least increase the amount of licenses sold to out of province people.

Quote:
I live in BC and AB but mostly in AB so when I go to BC I choose to pay AB resident price for the license
You need the corresponding drivers license for the province you wish to fish as proof you are a resident.
B.C drivers licensing costs/registration are much more expensive than Alberta's.
You may choose to do it that way, but in the end that's the way I'd do it too, as it works out to be cheaper.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM

OK, I will play again...I have no problem paying whatever the going rate is to fish a certain location as long as most of the funds goes toward enhancing and protecting that particular environment. However I intensely dislike the reverse discrimination program in place in BC with respect to "classified waters". So the fisherman standing beside me in the Elk River is from B.C., we are fishing the same CANADIAN water yet I must pay $20 per day to help preserve the quality of the fishery and he must pay $0 per day to help preserve the quality of the same fishery. Come to Alberta where we treat all Canadians as equal....except if you want to golf Kananaskis(private business)...lol...

BTW if you do not have a vaild drivers licence ( some people don't) you can still get a B.C. license by proving your residency with a BC ID card. Not sure how they police the online purchases though....
Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Does an ID card not just take the place of a drivers license? So again, you cant have a BC ID Card and a Alberta Drivers License....
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Here is the link for the info on the BC ID card....http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/BCID

I do know that you can not hold a valid drivers license in more than one province..i.e. if you apply for a DL in any province then you must relinquish your current license if you have one. Now I cannot see on the link above where is says you can't get a BC ID card if you have a DL from another province.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Simple answer to that B.C. Stands for BRING CASH .

Ive obtained a fishing license from every province from Ontario West , and BC is defenetly the most expensive . Ahwell . I think for people who fish ,multipul provinces should offer a country fishing license so you could pay say 100 dollars or something , and be able to fish every where . Just my opinion though .
Old 04-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Someone correct me, but is it stipulated that a BC CO can ask you to produce anything other than a fishing licence? Can they require you to produce matching photo ID as well? I just checked the regs and at first glance it appears as if you only need to produce a fishing licence. I'll have to have a more thorough look later tonight...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 PM

i think you still have to prove who u are and where u live....i think my resident bc freshwater was right around 30$. steelhead stamp is more on top.. they do get you here.. but the fishing is pretty darn good.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm totally with you... I think we should get a discount with our fishing license in AB being AB residents. Or for those who think its too cheap already, non-AB-residents should be charged twice as much as they do to us in BC.

My friend from BC actually complained we don't have day-passes whereas they do in BC (that was a few yrs ago). I was like, well you get to pay the same as I do being non-resident and its valid for the entire year...so stop complaining!

But I still think its unfair...better being a BC resident than an AB resident. At least you'll pay less for a BC license. And have a team to cheer on in the playoffs...lol
Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
Someone correct me, but is it stipulated that a BC CO can ask you to produce anything other than a fishing licence? Can they require you to produce matching photo ID as well? I just checked the regs and at first glance it appears as if you only need to produce a fishing licence. I'll have to have a more thorough look later tonight...
Not sure but they'll probably check your boat registration or car license plate first? Or even your drivers, that'll be the easiest way to prove it I think.
I know when you buy a BC license you need a BC address. I guess you should carry some sort of proof you're related to that province somehow...drivers license address, license plate, boat registry #, even a paycheque from a BC company??

Guess it comes down to the definition of a resident. Lives in that province >6 mths in a year? Or have a job there? or have a property? Or maybe however you identified yourself on your tax return...as an AB resident or a BC resident? Or whichever riding you vote in?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 PM

check out the clarity of these regs...so 16 days a month? I like the last line...

Definition of B.C. Resident, Non-Resident, and Non-Resident Alien
B.C. Resident means:
your primary residence is in British Columbia, AND

(a) you are a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant, AND
have been physically present in B.C. for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the immediately preceding 12 calendar months,

OR

(b) you are NOT a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant, but have been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of the immediately preceding 12 calendar months.

Non-Resident means:
you are not a “resident,” but (a) you are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant, OR (b) your primary residence is in Canada, AND you have resided in Canada for the immediately preceding 12 months.

Non-Resident Alien means:
you are neither a “resident” nor a “non-resident.”
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Once you become a resident of B.C, you cease being a resident of Alberta.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
Just wondering what thoughts were on the cost of a fresh water fishing licence in BC. I purchase an annual licence every year and it steams me every time I see what they charge their own residents vs. Canadians from other provinces. Correct me if I'm wrong but Alberta charges the same fee to non-res. Canadians as they do for Albertans. I just received a angling survey in the mail from them and decided to write them a letter voicing my opinion
So who are you really upset at? BC or Alberta? It sounds like you think provincial residents should not get preferential treatment. I'm less inclined to support that idea. Provincial residents are already paying extra for wildlife management through their taxes that out of province folks aren't paying. I have no problem with a higher charge for other Canadians, though with very few other restrictions (ie. no guiding requirement). Foreigners should have a higher cost again, and perhaps more restrictions.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM

Every thing in BC is more money, does it keep me from going....NOT a chance
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM

bought my bc non resident license last week, $60 some dollars, alberta license $20 some dollars, no comparsion way more water to fish in bc, rather than over fished southern alta spots.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 PM

I think they should charge more than they do in bc. They have a quality fishery and should charge more to people that dont live there to come and fish their water.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

When I fish in BC there are only two items I purchase.

The items are a fishing licence and gasoline.