Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Check your drivers license.

Better check your drivers license. Seems even a small crack in one corner can cost you a lot of money if you get stopped.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ence-1.3956186

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 PM

I could understand if the picture or the number were effected, but this is ridiculous.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

$465.00 ???
They should probably lower that fine or get rid of it all together as I would suspect some dude may go all freaky on a cop if he ever got a fine for having a valid D/L. Total BS.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:18 PM

This would seem to me to be the result of said officer having a fight with his wife/girlfriend or both before going on shift that day. Should be an easy win in court I would think...unless the judge happens to have a fight with his/her spouse on the court date
Old 01-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned

Hmm, yet another article on the CBC site which has the comments disabled. As for EPS, sounds like some one has a smaller budget this year, or perhaps they are anticipating a significant financial loss of some sort. Who knows...
Old 01-27-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

"See you in court" would be my response...

Enjoy the decline.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:25 PM

This can usually be avoided by being courteous, and friendly to the officer, asking nicely for lenience, is also a good idea, it displays that you are aware that he is in charge of the situation, and that you respect his position, even if it's all a act! I would definitely fight that ticket, even take it right to court, just make sure you have photos or even the actual ID. If swallowing my pride saves me 465$ I will do it all day long!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
This can usually be avoided by being courteous, and friendly to the officer, asking nicely for lenience, is also a good idea, it displays that you are aware that he is in charge of the situation, and that you respect his position, even if it's all a act! I would definitely fight that ticket, even take it right to court, just make sure you have photos or even the actual ID. If swallowing my pride saves me 465$ I will do it all day long!
The problem is that some idiot made this an offense, and set a ridiculous penalty for this. If not for that idiot the officer would not be able to issue a summons for this.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Better check your drivers license. Seems even a small crack in one corner can cost you a lot of money if you get stopped.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ence-1.3956186
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...rivers-licence

Police had “grounds to lay a careless driving charge under the Traffic Safety Act, which carries a penalty of $543 and six demerits” but the officer used his discretion and issued a lesser fine for a cracked driver’s licence, police said.

A cracked driver’s licence falls under a Traffic Safety Act section that states that a person shall not mutilate, deface, alter or falsify a document. The fine has a penalty of $465 and no demerits.

I guess the cop should have written the ticket for the greater amount then we wouldn't be listening to the snowflake whining to the media.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing

Last edited by Klondike; 01-27-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 PM

Seems like a steep fine. At least they let him keep his crack.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Banned

I'm not a judge but:

Section 168 Chapter T-6
Production of documents
167(1) On the request of a peace officer, a person driving or
otherwise having the care or control of a motor vehicle or trailer
shall produce to the peace officer for inspection the following
documents as requested by the peace officer:
(a) the person’s subsisting operator’s licence;
(b) the subsisting (bla bla bla......)
(6) If a person produces to a peace officer a document under this
section that is illegible, mutilated, defaced or altered, the peace
officer may request that person to produce to a peace officer within
a reasonable time a new document or duplicate of the document
issued under this Act. .
Old 01-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Banned

Wow ... 465 for a crack ... sad .
Banned

Quote:
Not with EPS. It's a revenue stream. Nothing more. They aren't going to pass up $465. No way, no how. This has NOTHING to do with public safety, law enforcement etc. It's just another way to get more blood out of the public.

I avoid Edmonton at all costs. It's a diseased city.
Banned

Quote:
Really? From the "Alberta Traffic Safety Act". Everyone should read it.
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

Quote:
(6)
If a person produces to a peace officer a document under this section that is illegible, mutilated, defaced or altered, the peace officer may request that person to produce to a peace officer within a reasonable time a new document or duplicate of the document
issued under this Act.
What does this suggest? The officer may request...? Defaced or altered? I wouldn't think a simple crack in a drivers license - something that is generally carried in a wallet - would count.

Quote:
RSA 2000
Section 61
Chapter T-6
TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT
(b) is not qualified or does not have the ability to operate a
motor vehicle safely, or
(c) may have a medical or physical condition that impairs his
or her ability to safely operate a motor vehicle,
no person shall release the identity of the person providing the
information, or release any information provided by that person
that could reasonably be expected
to reveal that person’s identity,
unless the person providing the in
formation authorizes the release
of that identifying information in writing.
2005 c34 s16
Altered documents
(1)
In this section, “document” means
(a) a subsisting motor vehicle document;
(b) a subsisting licence issued under the
Motor Vehicle
Transport Act
(Canada);
(c) a subsisting document that is a bill of lading, way-bill,
shipping bill or customs permit or any other document
that pertains to goods or passengers being transported by a
commercial vehicle.
(2)
A person shall not
(a) mutilate, deface, alter or falsify a document,
(b) have in that person’s possession a document that is
mutilated, defaced, altered or falsified, or
(c) use or permit the use of a document that is mutilated,
defaced, altered or falsified.
Specifically the last part - these are verbs. We're not talking about a 16 year old changing an ID so they can get into a bar.

Feel free to get on your knees and beg. Ridiculous.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Wow ... 465 for a crack ... sad .
Doubt one would get that for possession of crack
Old 01-27-2017, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Doubt one would get that for possession of crack
All I know is I got rid of a crack once and it cost me a heck of lot more than $465 buck's !!!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post

Police had “grounds to lay a careless driving charge under the Traffic Safety Act, which carries a penalty of $543 and six demerits” but the officer used his discretion and issued a lesser fine for a cracked driver’s licence, police said.
"Well I could charge you with this, but since I'm such a good guy and you're doing such a good job of worshipping me, I'll let you go with this lesser charge...

Man, I get tired of this line. If he had grounds to lay a careless driving charge, then why didn't he do his job, make the streets safer, and lay the charge?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post

A cracked driver’s licence falls under a Traffic Safety Act section that states that a person shall not mutilate, deface, alter or falsify a document. The fine has a penalty of $465 and no demerits.

I guess the cop should have written the ticket for the greater amount then we wouldn't be listening to the snowflake whining to the media.
The cop said he had grounds to issue a careless driving charge, after the video about his charge went viral but he didn't think to mention it at the side of the road, curious don't you think?

Call me crazy but I think a careless driving charge is serious enough that it should have at least been mentioned at the side of the road, not later as an explanations as to why a BS ticket was issued.

Sounds too much like a cover up to me.

I'm not saying the officer is lying, heaven forbid. I am saying that he should have thought about the optics before issuing that ticket.

In the words of Lord Chief Justice Hewart;
Quote:
justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
"Well I could charge you with this, but since I'm such a good guy and you're doing such a good job of worshipping me, I'll let you go with this lesser charge...

Man, I get tired of this line. If he had grounds to lay a careless driving charge, then why didn't he do his job, make the streets safer, and lay the charge?
Agreed!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-28-2017, 12:31 AM

Default No Careless Driving Here

The Police had no grounds to lay a careless driving charge under the Traffic Safety Act because they did not observe the driver doing such. The police only had a tip which is only the opinion of the one giving the tip and nothing more.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:42 AM
Banned

They did the same thing to the fellow who warns people about photo radar traps. He received a lot donations when people heard about this BS technicality. IMG_1969.jpgIMG_1968.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 06:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Sometimes a warning is a nice thing too, but then again if the law cracked down you would complain either way I guess...damed if they do and damed if they dont

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-28-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:

X2 I don't believe them for a second.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
The cop said he had grounds to issue a careless driving charge, after the video about his charge went viral but he didn't think to mention it at the side of the road, curious don't you think?

Call me crazy but I think a careless driving charge is serious enough that it should have at least been mentioned at the side of the road, not later as an explanations as to why a BS ticket was issued.

Sounds too much like a cover up to me.

I'm not saying the officer is lying, heaven forbid. I am saying that he should have thought about the optics before issuing that ticket.

In the words of Lord Chief Justice Hewart;
I agree, nothing more than a pathetic excuse in response to the video going viral.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
"See you in court" would be my response...

Enjoy the decline.

Of what exactly?

Hasn't the decline been going on for as along as we have had automobiles.

I'm sure people have gotten broken taillight, obstructed license plates, failure to wear a seatbelt, speeding tickets.

And etcetera etcetera etcetera.

Fines are not anything new. As annoying as it it is.

Better to have cops writing tickets than having to investigate crimes all the time.

If they were too busy to write a ridiculous ticket, for something seemingly not a big deal,
Because resources are needed for more urgent matters, like 500 plus murders as an example
That would be your decline.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Not with EPS. It's a revenue stream. Nothing more. They aren't going to pass up $465. No way, no how. This has NOTHING to do with public safety, law enforcement etc. It's just another way to get more blood out of the public.

I avoid Edmonton at all costs. It's a diseased city.
Yeah,

Because no other police force in the Country does things to generate revenue in and of itself.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

Yup stupid ticket,

But without idiot taxes wouldn't we all pay that much more if the revenue wasn't there as a result of people doing stupid things?

If say $3 million of a police budget came from issuing fines such as this and other such supposedly ridiculousness,
was suddenly not there because they stopped doing it,
Would the city then not raise property taxes and other things to a level to compensate for that loss?

Yes no one likes to pay fines,
and most if not all would agree that this particular one was definitely out there.
A cracked license which occurred because the guy sat on it and thus the crack.

Well I don't know about most men here, but I tend to suffer from cracked cards being in my wallet, all the time.

Never really looked at the license because it doesn't come out of the wallet all that often .

So I would say thank you for posting this, because I (and I'm sure most) that knowingly suffer from this particular problem of sitting on their wallets , went and checked to see the condition of their license.

Sometimes it's other peoples misfortunes and learning from them that saves us from our own stupidity.

And just think if not for the video posted to Facebook or even this forum, most if not all could have been blindsided by this fine.
I know I wouldn't have known either wise.
But at least my license is intact,

Whew!

Thank you.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Hmm, yet another article on the CBC site which has the comments disabled. As for EPS, sounds like some one has a smaller budget this year, or perhaps they are anticipating a significant financial loss of some sort. Who knows...
There was an article in the paper with the Chief saying ticket numbers were way down. Could have some part in what is going on here who knows
Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 AM

I guess the cop should have written the ticket for the greater amount then we wouldn't be listening to the snowflake whining to the media.[/QUOTE]

I can assure you the man is no snowflake, nor was he whining to the media. Back to your momma' basement.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:55 AM

On the surface, it does appear to be a chintzy ticket.