Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Banned

Default cooking with bottom heat

So I do not know if I have changed any one's minds about cooking in their tent or that the safest place to be is in the tent if a bear comes snooping around.
A hunter often has access to fresh meat and fish on the trail. It has always been a tradition, with hunters I have hunted with, to eat the liver of an animal that is shot that day at the evening meal. Therefore I carry kettles and an under stove oven.
When the weather is warm a wood cook stove produces unwanted heat so it makes sense to use the heat from the top and the bottom of a stove. Even when the weather is cold the cooking is more important than heat.
I carry a .224 lbs. under stove broiler (shown in post #21). Frying is difficult with thin cookware so a camper is stuck with boiling everything unless he can bake his food with heat from above the food.
Cooking on top and bottom of the stove really speeds up cooking time when you only have one burner.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:18 PM

Jungleboy,
That stove is awesome.
Just carry a few flat pieces of metal, and you have a stove set up and ready to go in seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 07:46 PM

Default Black Spruce wood burning stove

http://www.blacksprucegear.ca/

These guys make a cool collapsible wood stove for outside use, we use it under the tarp on kayak and canoe trips. Can cook steaks and chicken legs on it Much too heavy for backpacking in my opinion.

For backpacking I use a pocket rocket type or an MSR Whisperlite. If it gets cold, crawl inside your sleeping bag.

Happy hunting!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Banned

Default outside cooking in wind

Most mornings, weather in Alberta is not that good for cooking and eating outside. It is not much fun to be going outside with a backpacker type gas, or woodburning, stove to cook breakfast in the wind. There would be a lot more backpackers out and about all times of the year if they had better equipment. Wind and cold is to rough for a lot of backpackers to cook outside or risk CO poisoning when cooking in their tent vestibule.
No matter how hard the wind is blowing or how cold it is I enjoy cooking breakfast on my latest wood stove/chimney inside a tarp shelter. I spend my spare time testing stoves I make and tarps I pitch. My latest best stove is simpler and better in lots of ways. It can be seen on the sites shown below and posts on this forum that I am a voice crying in the wilderness when it comes to getting backpackers to use a wood burning (or other solid fuel) stove/ chimney to cook inside a tent. There seems to be almost total resistance by the backpacker crowd against using a chimney on a cookstove.
http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubb...205#Post144205
109918 views by sept 30, 2016, Guide cooking with chimney, post# 144253. vestibule, post# 144590

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-02-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
Quote:

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/USMAAOSw8w1X5X8p/$_27.JPG[img]

Quote:

This kit of yours looks very welfare. Rough edges, cheap material, cheap looking, rushed all the cuts, overpriced, thrown together to make money.

Take your ads back to ebay or to the for sale forum. I won't be buying one that's for sure.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Banned

Default show me

Nester. You do not like my tin smithing, I am so crushed.
Someday the parts might be punched out by fancy machinery. I will show you how to make them so the parts will be worthy of your use. You can go into production and get rich working with your tin snips like me.
Show me what you have got or what can be bought that would do the backpacker cooking and heating job better. Post your suggestions here.

Last edited by chimpac; 10-04-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

Default cheap but better

So crazy davey and nestor.
I am waiting for your suggestion for equipment I could buy that would be better for 4 season shelter and cooking inside for 2 people under 5 lbs.

That is better or more comfortable, to cook my dinner inside fully closed in, tight to the ground shelter.
All seasons same rig. No change of tarp pitch (4 pegs) in +30C or -30C, sides up open or down tight to the ground.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Banned

Typical, another bump to promote your junk.

Go back to the backyard, crawl under your tarp and cook a chicken leg.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Maybe a hole saw and a bronzing rod could produce a better product , something a little less 4th grade science project like.

I don't need to be getting cut setting up a stove .
Old 02-01-2017, 05:24 PM

DON'T USE GALVANIZED METAL ON A WOOD STOVE YOU ARE GOING TO USE IN AN ENCLOSED AREA!
IT CAN POISON YOU!
Sorry for yelling, but I wanted to make sure people didn't miss this.
If you think I'm just giving you a hard time like everyone else on here, call up a welder and tell him you have some galvanized metal you need welded, and see what he says.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:13 AM

Check out the Trail designs tri-ti. I don't have one personally, but I am very intrigued by the 3 fuel options for such a light stove. Not sure how much heat one might put out, it's a pretty small fire.

https://www.traildesigns.com/

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Banned

Default galvanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
DON'T USE GALVANIZED METAL ON A WOOD STOVE YOU ARE GOING TO USE IN AN ENCLOSED AREA!
IT CAN POISON YOU!
Sorry for yelling, but I wanted to make sure people didn't miss this.
If you think I'm just giving you a hard time like everyone else on here, call up a welder and tell him you have some galvanized metal you need welded, and see what he says.
I know all about the problem and did have a dose of the fumes to make me silly for a while. I am not the only one using galvanized steel for stoves. An out fit in Idaho uses it for their pipe and stoves. Once the zinc is burned there is no more danger. A person could put a torch to all the stove but that would invite rust on all the stove. If it is burned really hot out in the open the first time it should be OK to use inside.

Last edited by chimpac; 02-02-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know all about the problem and did have a dose of the fumes to make me silly for a while.
I would say your biggest problem is you've had way more than one dose of "the fumes".

I don't have a problem with your dimestore hobo stoves. My issue with you is your crappy execution of your home made junk by arguing that basically no one does it better than you do.

I have read your opinions on many websites. I have even seen you arguing with climbers, who are climbing thousands of feet above the tree line and you telling them that they are doing it wrong.

Trust me, your hobo junk isn't the best for every situation. It's great that it works for you 20' from your car door but some people actually venture out much further in the backcountry than that and have very good setups and figured those setups from time and lots of backcountry experience.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 AM

Default backpackers stoves

Quote:
I know all about the problem and did have a dose of the fumes to make me silly for a while. I am not the only one using galvanized steel for stoves. An out fit in Idaho uses it for their pipe and stoves. Once the zinc is burned there is no more danger. A person could put a torch to all the stove but that would invite rust on all the stove. If it is burned really hot out in the open the first time it should be OK to use inside.

That is not ok.
Saying that it's ok is wrong and dangerous.
You and "an outfit out of Idaho" are giving terrible, dangerous advice by saying to use galvanized metal.

I don't really give a crap one way or another about the effectiveness of your stoves. I don't think it's possible for anyone to be as big a fan of them as you are.
But selling galvanized stove parts to people to use in enclosed spaces is wrong, and the fact that you knew it was dangerous, and still did it anyways makes you a bad person.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:50 AM

This thread bread is about done.
Galvanized anything and enough heat to give off fumes is a no- no!
Cat