Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Default Flyfishing Nube

I am going to try my hand at fly fishing this summer and am in need of some tips about equipment, flys, areas for new guys, etc. I have been to wholesale and bass pro but left both times dissapointed with knowledge of staff. I am looking for decent equipment, above entry level anyway, as I can see this being it for the next 5 years. what are some of the things i should look for on rods and reels, also i will not have time to tie my own flies, so a good fly tip too. thanks guys.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 PM

RGL,

You probably should have posted your inquiry in the Fishing Thread... Nonetheless, here I go:

Try to go to a dedicated fly shop (if you are in Calgary hit Fishtales [talk to Sean] or Country Pleasures [talk to Brent], Bow River Troutfitters [talk to Chris], Southbow [talk to Mike M], etc.

Funny thing is, if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers... You will have to decide what features are important to you and what kind of budget you have to work with. Being a beginner look at spending about $300 for a decent rod and reel and don't cheap out on line (about $80 my reco would be a SA GPX)! If you are fishing the Bow (as an example) a 9' 5 wt or 6 wt will be your rod probably a 6 wt). Most importantly you will have to go and try a bunch of rods side by side to see what works for you and your casting style. If you haven't cast a fly rod before, your best bet is to sign up for lessons (all of the above shops offer them, and I also hear that Hanson's "boot camp" is worth while (plus you get a rod and reel included - my wife uses one of their rods and it is a decent entry level rod), but that's just what I've heard (2nd hand). People will throw around a lot of names of manufactures for basic rods (like TFO & Admunson, etc.) I "personally" don't like either, but I have been hearing REALLY good things about the TFO BVK series (better then their entry level Finesse or Signature series IMO - there is a reason why you see a lot of those rods for sale on here and on kijiji, etc )... But for a beginner, either is probably a good place to start. Warrantee is important and for a beginner TFO has their distribution centre in Calgary so that's worth something. All entry level rods in that price range are made off shore. You can buy something for a $150 bucks more in an entry level Sage (made in the US of A) that will grow with you, but if you break it you will wait 4 or 5 weeks waiting for it to be repaired... I would buy a REALLY good reel as you can keep that for when you upgrade your rod (Large Arbor, disc drag).

If you have any specific questions you are welcome to PM me directly and I'll do my best to be impartial - but like everyone else, opinions are like A $ $ holes, everybody's got one !! LoL

Cheers,

Peter

Last edited by ÜberFly; 04-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM

If you realy going to get into it, buy a real good rod.
I bought a combo enty level flyrod from the fishing hole years ago .
Never realy got into it ,as I could not cast out far.
Then on a fishing trip years later,I tryed my partners high end rod.(G loomis)
I could cast twice a far.

Last edited by -JR-; 04-16-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 PM

RLG, Give Flys Etc in High River a call, he puts on fly tying and casting lessons (I think its 50 bucks for tying and 50 for casting but dont quote me) He is a huge fly guy husband&wife team so if you walk in he will take the time to help you out I am taking his courses this spring as I bought all the gear last fall and cant wait to try it out. I know the casting course he takes you to a lake in High river and gets you casting. I hope this helps you out. Let me know what you do
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Talk to the guys at TFH they opened the store in Calgary to be a little more geared towards fly fishing.