Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Nice Pic's... Chubb ...am jealous.. very clean fish.. good job !!! David
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Don't let an ignorant post stop you from posting pics, half the fun of these boards is seeing fish others have caught! Just ignore those losers.
X3

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Why the fuzzy face if you don't mind me asking. Are you hiding from the Triad or Mafia? You in witness protection? You a wanted criminal? Any reward? How much is it?

this isn't facebook sunnyboy. i post pics so the good folks of AO can see the fish and the beautiful places i venture, not my ugly mug.

and to the "river runs through it" clowns that think our fish handling practices are not up to their standards. know a guy before you make comments like that. i respect fish and wildlife more than the majority of people that walk this earth.

Dace
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM

great bulls, looking fat and healthy

nothing more picturesque than kanaskis
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Good job guys!

Don't stop with the pics boys and forget the idiots.

Joe
Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
this isn't facebook sunnyboy. i post pics so the good folks of AO can see the fish and the beautiful places i venture, not my ugly mug.

and to the "river runs through it" clowns that think our fish handling practices are not up to their standards. know a guy before you make comments like that. i respect fish and wildlife more than the majority of people that walk this earth.

Dace
See, I just naturally assumed the "fuzzy-faces" was just 'cuz y'all are fugly.
Reckon I was right.

As for the one negative comment about your fish handling; who cares?
Probably a lot better than pulling the fish out to flip around in the snow???
Hope this doesn't stop you or Chub from posting more pics in the future.
Don't let the "glass-half-full" guys win!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Dace.. Thanks for posting very nice looking Bulls
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
See, I just naturally assumed the "fuzzy-faces" was just 'cuz y'all are fugly.
Reckon I was right.

As for the one negative comment about your fish handling; who cares?
Probably a lot better than pulling the fish out to flip around in the snow???
Hope this doesn't stop you or Chub from posting more pics in the future.
Don't let the "glass-half-full" guys win!
X2...an experienced and careful person quickly lifting the fish up so long as the fingers are between the gills and the gill plate won't break the gills. In other words your fingers should be immediately beside the gill plate. Fingers in the gills or between gills are bad like a poster said...but you always have to hope when you see someone doing this they are doing it right. Being as the OP knows what he is doing...it is still a wise point to raise...albeit maybe not done in a politically correct way to state for those newbies or those without the experience that if you do hold the fish inside the gills...you will likely kill the fish due to gill hemorrhage. Copying someones behavior via photos...etc...could be a bad thing.

I should comment that letting the fish thrash on the snow and ice would be worse. Respecting someones right to enjoy a quick pic means they want to protect them bad enough to do it right so they can catch em all a pound heavier in a year or two.

In the winter the biggest damage to released fish is due to frozen eyes and gills and skin. If you are cold without a shirt on...the fish is super cold.

I am however NOT agreeing to the fugly part...I have not seen a true photo to make an accurate comparison to my fugly face to comment.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
X2...an experienced and careful person quickly lifting the fish up so long as the fingers are between the gills and the gill plate won't break the gills. In other words your fingers should be immediately beside the gill plate. Fingers in the gills or between gills are bad like a poster said...but you always have to hope when you see someone doing this they are doing it right. Being as the OP knows what he is doing...it is still a wise point to raise...albeit maybe not done in a politically correct way to state for those newbies or those without the experience that if you do hold the fish inside the gills...you will likely kill the fish due to gill hemorrhage. Copying someones behavior via photos...etc...could be a bad thing.

I should comment that letting the fish thrash on the snow and ice would be worse. Respecting someones right to enjoy a quick pic means they want to protect them bad enough to do it right so they can catch em all a pound heavier in a year or two.

In the winter the biggest damage to released fish is due to frozen eyes and gills and skin. If you are cold without a shirt on...the fish is super cold.

I am however NOT agreeing to the fugly part...I have not seen a true photo to make an accurate comparison to my fugly face to comment.
lol now thats one Blurry post
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Nice job holdin them bulls in the gills. I hear thats real good for em.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Really? Putting your fingers in any fishes gills is detrimental to their survival. If you can't get them out safely and you are fishing for a species which is by law catch and release only maybe don't ice fish for them. But I'm the hillbilly. There my grammar better for you guys?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Really? Putting your fingers in any fishes gills is detrimental to their survival. If you can't get them out safely and you are fishing for a species which is by law catch and release only maybe don't ice fish for them. But I'm the hillbilly. There my grammar better for you guys?
does any one else wish that darwin's theory still applied to humans?.........
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! good choice. I am bookmarking that and will use it later
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Winston.

Sometimes in life you have to compromise. Yes...everyone will agree it is optimal behavoir to NOT put your fingers anywheres near the gills. A thrashing fish on your fingers can get damaged. In the case of ice fishing...it is very hard to pull a trout out quickly from the ice fishing hole, snap a QUICK photo and release it without doing this. It is better done carefully however and by someone who is experienced.

I have a very soft spot in my heart for bull trout and have spend a lot of blood sweat and tears on this fishery personally for myself. I am not about to recommend doing anything to harm them. That being said...if you don't have a fishery...don't catch and release and enjoy them...you don't know they are in there...there is less interest in protecting them. F&W and volunteers in the past like Gary Gillund have spend many, many hours to successfully bring this fishery back to something enjoyable.

I understand what you are saying...but what is good in theory...does not alway track perfectly into real life actions.

In the summer...there is no reason to hold a bull trout this way for a photo. I am sure the OP and others would agree.

Cheers

Sun

P.S. In case I did not say it early....nice bulls!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Yea exactly, to get the fish out of the hole, there are 2 options. 1-Squeeze the fishes head like a pike and lift it out of the hole that way. (TERRIBLE) or 2) get an index finger under the gill plate. (GREAT) I personally prefer taking the fish off to the side of the hole in the soft snow and laying it down between my knees with one hand over the mid section of the fish so it cant flop. I then remove the hook and release the fish by holding it normally. So everyones point here can be taken as somewhat valid. There probably isnt a need to hold the fish this way while removing the hook every time or just to generally linger with the fish in this position. I do it often, like i said to get the fish out of the hole, but not after that. Placing the fish on soft ground allowing its body weight to be supported throughout its spine equally is much better than dangling the now twice as heavy fish (out of water, imagine the bouyancy difference) by a single gill plate. This mud slingin is a problem with this forum. Or rather with some of the people. Ive posted so many videos and pics, basically all of them get bashed or degraded to a certain standard of ethics or lawful guidelines. When i posted my cold lake hog, i got the "barbed hooks and its not that big" speech. After the fact, i realized that i shoulve at least edited out certain parts of the video or my report to avoid the **** slingin. So i would advise anyone posting reports with pics and videos to keep it clean and give the clowns NOTHING to act cybertough about. Also, one stupid little comment here resulted in a hijacked thread with numerous raging responses, escalating the "non-issue" even further. I reccomend just leaving the dumb comments be, so that 1-the thread can stay on topic, and 2-this will **** the clowns off even more. Hopefully people still post their success. This will cause me to post more pics and videos, as i find it entertaining.

Last edited by critter; 05-02-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
No, it is still horrendous. You have failed grammatically just as you have continued to fail to get your ridiculous point across. Based on your clear over-concern for the health and safety of these fish, I think you should do yourself a favour and stop fishing altogether. Catch-and-release fishing, even with barbless hooks, has proven to result in incidental mortality no matter how well you handle and release the fish. Take a hike, you have wasted enough of everyones time.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
does any one else wish that darwin's theory still applied to humans?.........
I don't normally comment on people's poor grammar on any online forum, but I couldn't help myself with this guy. I think we can only hope a progressive theory will apply to this character instead, and he will now both learn to keep his mouth shut and go back to school to get his grade 10.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Going Wednesday again, your invited.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Me fail english? Thats unpossible
Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 PM

Hey Chub, you guys see any of those elusive rainbows?
Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Hey Chub, you guys see any of those elusive rainbows?
GS.....the truth is....i didnt sleep the night before and only went because the company provides the bestest chits and giggles and the mountain experience.

While they were drilling and cleaning holes i had a hard strike immediately.....missed it

Then i fell asleep for 4 hours in my chair......3 times i was awoke by a fish yanking the rod out of hand and a alot of times when they made alot of noise landing fish.

I woke up to eat a sammich.

Then i layed down on the ice in the sunshine and fell asleep again

I never hooked a fish...lol...therefore i never landed a fish.

So to answer nope never saw a RBT

It was a great day.....i learned stopping to pee on reserve land is not too dangerous.....i learned how not to snowshoe.......i had the best sleep of my life in the sunny mountain air......if i wasnt sleeping i was laughing or eating....hey life doesnt get much better

short story=I got skunked
Old 05-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
*There IS my grammar better for you guys?*
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Originally Posted by Winston

Actually his grammar is fine he just left out an exclamation mark after his "There" and you left out a comma after your "There". It's arguable whether Winston open his final sentence with "Is", as it's free form and the rhetoric is understood.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Default Momentary Thread Hijack

It will take a bit to get to the point but worth it.

This is a run-on sentence;

So I got up to do my last shift of 10 (straight) in Grand Prairie Sunday morning, finished 10 hours later, walked an hour and a half to get to the Greyhound station only to find that it opens half an hour before my bus leaves which means hanging out in an A&W playing Tetris on my cellphone for 4 1/2 hours and then riding the stink tube for 11 hours back to Cowtown managing about 4hours of sleep and met my Dad at 4:00pm who said "wanna go fishin?" to which I answered "YUP!!!" and so I just grabbed a rod and a handful of raps and off we went and the rod I grabbed due to my weariness had a slight slit near the tip and on my 3rd cast, while the line flew off the reel, it caught that slit and cut the line and I watched my brand new rap plop way out in the pond, to which my Dads buddy said "Some cast" and I said "it would be if it were still attached to my line" and we all watched it bob out by the ice, then something from the depths came up and hit it like a grand slam and then it was gone and we walked back to our vehicles telling fish stories and then I went home opened up this thread and someone just had to trash it, I think it's time to sip some cognac and sleep then get up and get the rods in order and go get my lure back.

To whomever finds the pictures troubling; look up previous posts of the fishermen,, these guys know their stuff and probably do more for the greater fishin community than most and be grateful that you get to witness some magnificent fish on the forums and trust that people know what they are doing out there.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post

To whomever finds the pictures troubling; look up previous posts of the fishermen,, these guys know their stuff and probably do more for the greater fishin community than most and be grateful that you get to witness some magnificent fish on the forums and trust that people know what they are doing out there.
thanks gus,
and ty, and critter. i know you guys share the same passion and respect for the quarry we all love to chase. i know the people on here like to see pics and i don't mind sharing. in keeping with that, and to try to de-rail all the other crap about the way me and my buds go about our business while on the water. here's some more bullies from last season to pep everyone up for the coming summer months fishing our pristine alberta streams and rivers.

Dace