Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Default Vertical Pins

Can anyone let me know the pro's and cons of these. They seem to make a lot of sense!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:03 PM

I suppose, just one question; do you hunt gophers for practice?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM

I do shoot gophers but I am not sure what that has to do with the site???
Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Well I dont know about them...I had a set of trophy ridge sights when they came out didn't much care for the plastic they are made of too brittle in the cold and the fibre optic break on adjustment...I also dont like how they adjust.

I will stick with a quality sight like a spothogg or copperjohn and they are plenty durable and easy to adjust..Its a good concept though just need a good designer.

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacphil View Post
Well I dont know about them...I had a set of trophy ridge sights when they came out didn't much care for the plastic they are made of too brittle in the cold and the fibre optic break on adjustment...I also dont like how they adjust.

I will stick with a quality sight like a spothogg or copperjohn and they are plenty durable and easy to adjust..Its a good concept though just need a good designer.

CP
I have had a trophy ridge vertical pin sight for 7 years and have not had one problem with it.The biggest pro is that it will dramatically increase field of view and reduce your set-up time.After shooting it for so long I will never change. Does anyone make a vertical pin site besides TR??

The spothogg sites look awesome and also the G5 ones.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post
I do shoot gophers but I am not sure what that has to do with the site???
Say your pins are set for 20, 30, 40, etc. Gopher standing at 25 or 30 yds. Where's the gopher when you're aiming?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Russ makes a very good point...they block your target in between your pins as well...so your reference points between your pins is difficult to determine...

You need to look at a set when its mounted to REALLY determine if you like the idea...Personally I like the conventional..Thats why companies that diversify are usually the ones that make it...

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.