Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 06:13 AM

Default Car Accident Question

I got rear ended hard enough to push me into the truck in front of me on Sunday and it wrote off my car. Injuries to myself were minor (whiplash)

My question to you folks is:

I was not at fault, I only have basic insurance and my car was a rebuilt status. Am I going to get $100 for the car from the insurance company due to the rebuilt status? or do they consider it as good as a normal car when they pay out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 AM

I might watch to much tv but my guess would be that their insurance company would give you blue book value for your car and your insurance company would be on the hook for the damage your car caused to the vehicle in front of you
Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_K1500 View Post
I got rear ended hard enough to push me into the truck in front of me on Sunday and it wrote off my car. Injuries to myself were minor (whiplash)

I was not at fault, I only have basic insurance and my car was a rebuilt status. Am I going to get $100 for the car from the insurance company due to the rebuilt status? or do they consider it as good as a normal car when they pay out?

Thanks in advance.
I believe they will give you a reduced value, as a rebuilt titled car on the used market is usually worth less than an identical car. I could be wrong though. I'd start cruising kijiji for identical cars just for your records if they try to screw you over.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 AM

Just tell them you want a replacement.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM

Go on Kijiji and Autotader and find a bunch of comparable. Same options, mileage etc. and within a reasonable distance. Print the ads off to show the insurance company if you’re not happy with their offer. You likely won’t get the same amount as if you had a clean title though, simply because your car is not valued the same.

Since you only have PLPD, any negotiating is going to be on you, your insurance company is not obligated to assist you.

Assignment of fault is going to depend a lot on the statements they get. If the car you hit says they felt one impact versus two impacts, the fault determination is different.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Exact same thing happened to my daughter last summer. Absolutely reduced payout due to "rebuilt" status. Argued until I was blue in the face on her behalf but no-go.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 AM

I have been in two accidents , both times I was rear ended while stopped. The first time I stopped for an accident, and was immediately struck by the vehicle behind me, which pushed my car into the vehicle in front, which didn't take much, because I was going downhill on ice. Because the person in front of me could not confirm that I was stopped at the time, insurance found me partly at fault, and I paid an increased premium for six years. The second time was on dry pavement and in daylight, and a truck rear ended the truck behind me, driving that truck into my vehicle, just enough to break the bumper skin. Luckily, my vehicle never moved, so the chain reaction ended there. The truck that struck me was a company truck with fleet insurance, and the company was very happy to pay to replace my rear bumper , after I stated to the officer that I saw the truck stopped behind me, prior to it being rear ended by the other truck.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Any vehicle considerations could be small potatoes compared to a settlement you might get in civil court for the pain, suffering, and impairment caused by whiplash - which is always a serious injury. Structural neck injuries can easily cause permanent debilitating conditions, even some time after an accident.

Be extremely suspicious of any insurance adjuster who comes around to your door in a full leg cast (for the sympathy effect), asking you for a statement and/or to sign some release waiver.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:29 AM

Your rebuilt status should be fine if you have the proper paper work saying it was inspected and passed. If you have that(insurance requirement), you can argue it should be looked at as any other vehicle as it passed the Insurance Inspection. Absolutely find as many comparables on Kijiji and Auto trader as you can so your ready. Make sure, year, options and Km's are all in line with what you have.

If the police deemed you to be within proper distance from the car ahead of you, you should be covered by the driver who hit you. My dad was in the same crash as you. Got hit so hard it pushed his ext cab, 4x4 f150 into the car ahead of him. No question he was not at fault in anyway, I can't see how you would be either.

You should be covered for all claims, vehicle and injury. Now hope the driver who hit you has Ins.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Any vehicle considerations could be small potatoes compared to a settlement you might get in civil court for the pain, suffering, and impairment caused by whiplash - which is always a serious injury. Structural neck injuries can easily cause permanent debilitating conditions, even some time after an accident.

Be extremely suspicious of any insurance adjuster who comes around to your door in a full leg cast (for the sympathy effect), asking you for a statement and/or to sign some release waiver.
$5080, that's all ya get for whiplash these days.

https://www.litwiniuk.com/claim-cap/
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
$5080, that's all ya get for whiplash these days.

https://www.litwiniuk.com/claim-cap/
Interesting link.

"Misconception #1: The cap covers everything

Many people mistakenly believe that the cap applies to both general and special damages. In other words, they think that the cap amount is the total amount of compensation they can get. That is not true; the cap amount is only for pain and suffering for certain minor soft-tissue injuries. Insurance companies do not educate consumers about this fact, as it is not in their interests to do so. "
Old 03-13-2018, 06:56 PM

Looks like the other driver has assumed all fault! Which is good. I've contacted their insurance company and I'm now waiting for a call back. Not sure what my next steps are? My whiplash was minor and I feel fine today. Not sure if that pays out or how. I don't want to go to court over it.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM

And get a dashcam.

I do not understand why when you can get them for under $99 there are any vehicles on the road without one.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Looks like the other driver has assumed all fault! Which is good. I've contacted their insurance company and I'm now waiting for a call back. Not sure what my next steps are? My whiplash was minor and I feel fine today. Not sure if that pays out or how. I don't want to go to court over it.
I think you have 2 years from the date of the accident to claim any injuries you have received. Do not sign anything right away because you feel fine now. Something might show up later.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
And get a dashcam.

I do not understand why when you can get them for under $99 there are any vehicles on the road without one.
Which one do you own? I assume it records time and date but not speed?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I agree that everyone should have a dash cam and insurance should be incentivizing people to get them with a discount on premiums.

I've installed tons of cameras as its kind of my go to christmas gift for everyone.

I've tried lots of different ones but two that I think really stand out that don't break the bank are the vifo A119 V2 and Ankler Roav c1

https://www.amazon.ca/VIOFO-A119-Cam...&keywords=a119

https://www.amazon.ca/Roav-Dashboard...&keywords=roav

There both around 99$ the viofo can be had for a little bit more and include the GPS base which will show the speed as well. The anklers regulary go on sale for around 70$ but don't have a GPS option.

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/ is a good site to read up if your looking for something different.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Mine are all gps time date speed recording with continuous and parking lot incident recording. I have a Blackvue and several Thinkwares but they are all more than $99

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, you're lucky the other driver assumed fault. Some people are still honest thankfully.

Considering my last 2 months, I think there'll be multiple cameras in my car from now on pointing in all directions - including one on me.