Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 04:37 PM

Default Always inspect arrows after each use.

Would hate to see this from shooting damaged arrows.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

That is exactly why I only shoot FMJ's or ACC's. They seem to cost too much until that happens, then they're worth every cent. I couldn't imagine how much that must sting, and I bet it's itchy as heck too!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That is exactly why I only shoot FMJ's or ACC's. They seem to cost too much until that happens, then they're worth every cent. I couldn't imagine how much that must sting, and I bet it's itchy as heck too!
Lmao.... Nice choice of words..."sting"..."itch".... Lol
Old 08-30-2015, 05:13 PM

I switched from FMJ's to victory VAP's and I'm always worried about this sort of thing, very careful to check my arrows. Putting an arrow through your hand doesn't look like fun.

Actually now that I think about it, if you were using a wrist sling, that bow might just catch onto the arrow as you let go of it. Ouch.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:37 PM

I wonder if that hurt at all.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbuchanan View Post
I wonder if that hurt at all.
Doubt it..... Maybe stung a little.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:58 PM

Like a paper cut.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:09 PM

I can barely stomach looking at that pic. I could never work in the medical field.
Maybe I'll check my arrows BEFORE each use though
If an fmj will NEVER do anything like this, I just may have to switch. Every time I see a pic like this I become more nervous even though I flex mine. (I think I might go puke)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 AM

Nice!

So what exactly happened? Did the arrow come apart just after release?

My niece shoots arrows and wouldn't wanna see anything like that!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 AM

Same as always, the arrow was damaged in some way or really under-spined and exploded upon release. A Fmj probably wouldn't, but if you push a spine too far any arrow could I guess...not worth worrying about. Don't shoot at the ground or hard targets, check your arrows, don't take chances.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:09 AM

I personally know a guy this happened to. He said the worst part was the days/weeks following trying to get all the little pieces of carbon out.
He shoots ACC's now lol
Old 08-31-2015, 10:46 AM

at least you will be able to see if the wrap will show blood well or not
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 AM

I dont shoot arrows. How many times can you reuse and arrow before it becomes unstable? Are they one shot and trash? What are the differences between the pic arrow and the better brands mentioned? Solid shafts?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I dont shoot arrows. How many times can you reuse and arrow before it becomes unstable? Are they one shot and trash? What are the differences between the pic arrow and the better brands mentioned? Solid shafts?
Arrows can be shot literally thousands of times, so long as they don't sustain damage. The one in the pic is a carbon tube, and like a fishing rod, can snap if damaged. Arrows are designed to take a reasonable amount of force head on, but not so much from the side. A carbon arrow can sustain damage a few different ways, it can be struck from the side by another arrow while target shooting, it can be pulled out at a bad angle, or can skip off the ground hitting rocks and such.

Before carbon shafts, most compound bow users use aluminum shaft arrows, however they were heavy and would bend fairly easy, not the greatest as far as user friendly goes. The FMJ arrows or Full Metal Jackets, are a carbon shaft with an aluminum outer shell, basically a cross breed if you will, and the ACC or Aluminum Carbon Compound (I think that's what it stands for) are the opposite design of the FMJ, an aluminum shaft with a carbon outer layer. These arrows may or may not be stronger per se, however if they fail they will not blow apart like the one in the pic above. They cost more, are usually a little heavier, but you wont see a pic like this from one of them!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM

ACC's and and ACE's will bend though, so it's not all gravy! Once they are bent, just throw them in the garbage at 2 to 4 times the cost of carbon. They will bend with prolonged use in 3d targets as well and if you happen to miss the target and hit the ground or something then it's likely the shaft is not still straight.

If you are diligent with your carbon arrows and respect them for what they are, essentially a disposable consumable item, and inspect them before shooting you won't have to worry about them breaking without warning.

Don't be cheap! If you see a crack or it makes a slight cracking noise when you flex it throw it out. If you don't inspect them, or ignore the signs of failure then you may end up with one through your hand.

These kinds of pictures that show up are of what happens if you don't pay attention to your gear. Just ask yourself if you would pull the trigger on a gun with the muzzle plugged with dirt? It's about the same safety analogy as shooting a carbon arrow without checking it out first. It's the first thing I do when I go out to the range, or load my quiver for the season.