Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Default Bow string problem (with pic)

This is going to be my first year bow hunting. I bought this bow from my friend and have been practicing all summer long. Needless to say that I'm rather excited. Due to working some extra days the only days I have to hunt for awhile is the 27 and 28th. Just last night this happend to my bow string;

Is it okay to just snip the frayed string and hunt the two days, or should I forgo one day and get a new string put on? I fired a couple afterwards and it was still shooting good and acurate but didn't want to take my chances in making worse.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:31 PM

I not sure if i would cut it, i would leave it and then wax the crap out of the strings. I wax my strings every time i come in from shooting outdoors. They can dry out very fast and and that is what causes them to snap. Someone else may have some better information for you but hope this might help a little.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Its ok to cutt that piece off, as its alredy broken . And it should be fine for your hunting trip as you are not going to be shooting it over and over again ,, But As soon as you get back get it changed . And you will have to re sight in after you get the new string.. good luck on ur trip and shoot straight .

mamba
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Default String?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
This is going to be my first year bow hunting. I bought this bow from my friend and have been practicing all summer long. Needless to say that I'm rather excited. Due to working some extra days the only days I have to hunt for awhile is the 27 and 28th. Just last night this happend to my bow string;

Is it okay to just snip the frayed string and hunt the two days, or should I forgo one day and get a new string put on? I fired a couple afterwards and it was still shooting good and acurate but didn't want to take my chances in making worse.

Yea, snip the loose piece and you should be okay for a couple of days. Using a pencil mark the location of the cams top and bottom in relationship to the limbs. If you notice the cams are changing position get the bow to a shop to get the string and cables replaced. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 PM

well you could take the chance or just get it fix for if it snaps on you it could hurt and you most likely wreck the bow...