Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Default Remington XHR....opinions?

Thinking about getting this gun in a 7mm-08. What do you guys think...yes or no?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM

Well, I have a 700 CDL in 7-08, but not an XHR....great calibre.

HOWEVER.....I just ordered an XHR in .300 WinMag from Cabela's because the price was so good, the rebate expires the end of the year, and my son will be shooting my 7-08 next fall when he goes out with me for the first time. So I needed another rifle. Honest..... (those were the arguments the wife heard...)

I read alot of reviews on them, and they are all pretty positive. What have you got to lose, with a 700 action, X-Mark Pro trigger, nice synthetic stock? The triangular barrel may take getting used to, then again, it may just strike me right off the bat. Either way, I got shipping confirmation yesterday and hope it's here by Christmas!!

Go for it, you know you want to.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 PM

A buddy of mine has one in a 25-06. with hand-loaded accubonds, he gets >1.5" groups at 300m. a nice shooting rifle indeed.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Weight is great! Balance is purrrrfect. Shoulders easily. Action is smooth. Mines arriving just after x-mas in 270. Hope it shoots as well as it feels. Haven't felt this postive about a firearm since my old C1A1.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:14 AM

I have the XCR in .300 rum and absolutely love it! My hunting partner is looking at getting a XHR in 7mm remington ultra mag!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:05 PM

I bought the XHR in the 7Rem Mag.this spring and so far I'm not disappointed in it. Right out of the box with Hornady 139gr. sst I'm 2" groups at 100 yrds. I'm going to start toying with it right away with 160gr. accubonds. I'll see if I can get it down to 1/2". That should be good enough for a hunting rifle!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave18 View Post
Weight is great! Balance is purrrrfect. Shoulders easily. Action is smooth. Mines arriving just after x-mas in 270. Hope it shoots as well as it feels. Haven't felt this postive about a firearm since my old C1A1.
Well, mine arrived the day before Christmas, and I agree with you on the weight, balance, and how well it goes to the shoulder and 'points'....Action is another fine jeweled bolt 700....a lovely rifle.

However....there is an 'out of the box' 'however' issue. I've spoken to a supervisor at Cabelas, sent high def pics to them. The supervisor was very gracious and acknowledged that I had a genuine/serious issue. I'm going to get a call back from a manager this week, at which point I will have a happy ending and praise for Cabelas customer service (and Remington)....or I'll be posting a whack of pics on here and CGN....got you curious?

Having said that, I still think the XHR is a great rifle, and the trigger is sweeeet!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Nice combo but toss the trigger before you shoot your leg off.