Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 AM

Default Barrel cooling

Does anyone use any special methods to cool the barrel of your rifle when at the range? I've heard of using water to cool but I'm a little hesitant to try this. Cooling a barrel isn't such a big concern during the winter months but it sure could save a lot of time in the warmer months.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:30 AM

I know some shooters use antifreeze, and rhten patch out the gun before they shoot it again.
I never have, just shot the shot guns.
However, in a competition , the barrel heats up pretty hot even when there is a long time between shots, and barrel life is shortened considerably .
However that is part of the price you pay for a top notch long range rifle.
Cat
Old 12-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Default Barrel cooling

A 12 volt fan sure speeds up the cooling process.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 AM

I use the canned air that I get for blowing dust of my computer. It comes out very cold and I just blow it down the barrel. It comes with a straw that lets you blow air right into the chamber. I am not sure just how much it helps but my barrel is a lot cooler after shooting 10 rounds with a few shots of air between rounds than if I don't use any air. I guess only time will tell how much this helps barrel life. The canned air is not expensive and its very clean and easy to use.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM

I read in a magazine, where a guy took a 12 volt, or battery air pump, put a hose on the end, and pushed air through the breech, down the barrel. He said it worked quite well.

How warm is too warm?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM

I think everyone has experienced a heated barrel during range testing. Accuracy seems to fall off as the barrel gets warmer. I try and find a shady spot to place the rifle in between groups, and take the bolt out to allow ari to circulate. And if possible I will lay the barrel in the direction of a soft breeze, and find that is does help to reduce the time needed to cool the barrel. Usually this is done away from others as I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm leaving a gun pointed in their direction, that they may think could be possibly loaded. And I usually bring two rifles to shoot one while I'm waitng for the other to cool off.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM

I place my rifle with the bolt out facing straight up. It seems to cool a little faster, it gets some natural convection going through the barrel. Where I shoot long range I place my rifle straight up leaning on a long piece of scrap aluminum. It cools off much faster.

If you wanted to spend a little cash, a mtn bike tire inflator that uses crossman CO2's puts out a very cold blast that can be directed down the barrel. It works quite well, but gets expensive fast.

I say just buy another couple rifles, that way there is always time for one to cool off!!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Rubbing alchol. Evaporates very quickly without the concerns of using water.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:30 PM

Take more than one gun to the range, just pick up a different one and play with it while the first one cools. Way more fun that way
I usually take at least 3 rifles and 2 pistols to the range with me and I'm never bored waiting for one to cool.

Unless you can travel 1000 meters in 1.4 seconds you can't outrun my Lapua

1000 rounds minimum for every gun! You have to be ready when the zombies come.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Go to realguns.com and look at the non members column on the left side of the page.You will find an article on how to build a barrel cooler with a fan and some other cheap stuff you can find at a hardware store. Its a real cool site with a down to earth guy that tests stuff and writes informative and funny articles. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 PM

Sorry i don't know how to post a link but its on page 3 of the free access page on realguns.com. The article is called "Building a simple barrel cool down box".
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM

Does the compressed air in a can leave any residue in the barrel?