Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 02:48 PM

Default Wabamun in spring?

We used to fish the powerplant in the spring for pike but I haven't really targeted them in the spring much since.

Is it any good by Seba where the creek comes in? Any other places?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:06 PM

Find where the water temp is starting to warm up. A quick look with satellite view on Google Earth will be your best friend.

I was out this weekend and the water was still only averaging 48*F in the main basin of the lake. A few smaller bays and shallower areas were up to 56*F, and we were catching plenty of fish. Over the course of a few hours, between three of us we boated roughly 70 fish, and a 50/50 split of pike and walleye. The pike we were catching were all very healthy for the most part, and I was incredibly happy to see them coming around. We did not catch anything over 10 pounds, but there are still a few real nice Pike around to be caught if you can tie into one. I'll be headed back out there plenty this summer!
Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
Find where the water temp is starting to warm up. A quick look with satellite view on Google Earth will be your best friend.

I was out this weekend and the water was still only averaging 48*F in the main basin of the lake. A few smaller bays and shallower areas were up to 56*F, and we were catching plenty of fish. Over the course of a few hours, between three of us we boated roughly 70 fish, and a 50/50 split of pike and walleye. The pike we were catching were all very healthy for the most part, and I was incredibly happy to see them coming around. We did not catch anything over 10 pounds, but there are still a few real nice Pike around to be caught if you can tie into one. I'll be headed back out there plenty this summer!

Great to hear about the healthy pike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 11:37 PM

Great report Swampy
Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post

Thanks bud. That's what we were thinking. Hit up the shallows and give it a shot.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Thanks bud. That's what we were thinking. Hit up the shallows and give it a shot.
let us know how you make out!! This cold front and all the rain will turn the fish off for a bit, but once that sun comes back out and starts to warm things up, its going to be ON!
Old 05-22-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Great to hear about the healthy pike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got that right! I was pumped to see so many little healthy pike. We only caught one that was looking a little skinny!
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd05 View Post
Great report Swampy
Thank you!
Old 05-26-2020, 09:11 AM

We hit Wab on Sunday. Fished several along the North shore from the power plant west and fished both sides of the point at Fallis.

Pike were slow. 4 or 5 between 3 of us, and we were trying to catch them. We had more luck with the walleye, but they were not aggressive either. Deadsticking a jig head and minnow worked the best. Maybe 40 walleye boated, tops.

I haven't had such a slow day there in years. Still a beautiful day on the water.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Going to be heading out there in a couple of weeks. I think it's a bit early for the spring action!
Old 06-03-2020, 03:47 PM

Hit Wabamun today, stuck to the bay in the Provincial Park. Only caught walleye, nothing of any size. Weather was the pits, wind was horrible, but still a good day out!

Even saw an osprey with a chunky fish in his talons, couldn't ID what kind of fish it was though

Fishing with gold 3/4 oz. jig heads and shiners in 6-10' of water