Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Oh no.. Getting in touch with Paul/Sherry was easy. Unfortunately, they are booked solid. It is/was Winefred lake LODGE we are trying to get in touch with. Just starting my list of Sask places to call now. Hopeful to keep it in the same driving distance or close.
Ahhh gotcha ya my bad. Ya I have only fished with the new owners twice now and neither was a good experience. Will not be going back.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCinnamon005 View Post
Ahhh gotcha ya my bad. Ya I have only fished with the new owners twice now and neither was a good experience. Will not be going back.
Really that bad?/ Whats the issue? I was there before these guys took over. I enjoyed the trip. How bad can they screw this up?
Old 05-22-2020, 01:02 AM

Hey Jamie, Pierce lake is a pretty decent spot. Haven't been there in a while but they have camping and cabin rentals as well. Howes Bay Resort for both and Sandy Beach campground for camping. You are close to Cold lake and a bunch of other lakes as well. Mostly Lakers and pike in Pierce but there are a few smaller lakes nearby with walleye. Check it out. It's just north of Pierceland Sask.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:08 PM

I just got an email blast from winefred lodge. Says they opened May 20th.

Here’s the contact info in the email.

-Our main lodge, kitchen and office will be closed to guests for the time being.
Prior to arrival at the camp for check in we ask that you email us or call 780-818-6201 and pay your balance via Credit Card or EMT to info@winefredlakelodge.ca
Staff will meet you outside the front office and show you your accommodations.

Maybe that’ll help.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:45 PM
Banned

Yeah, they finally kinda got back but still have not answered my Emailed questions and refuse to pick up the phone and call.. This is very frustrating.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:27 PM

Does anyone know the condition of the road going in? Am thinking about heading up there next week. Have a 19' Fibreglass boat to pull in but if it's rough and muddy will probably not chance it.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Does anyone know the condition of the road going in? Am thinking about heading up there next week. Have a 19' Fibreglass boat to pull in but if it's rough and muddy will probably not chance it.
Road is not good now but can dry up fairly fast. Two days ago, on the way to the main lodge, past the airstrip, there was a 1 ton dually pulling a boat buried up to the axles (truck and boat trailer). Currently raining up there now.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:21 PM

Reading the about the price gouging, road, drama and you can’t keep a fish or use bait... This doesn’t sound very fun.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Reading the about the price gouging, road, drama and you can’t keep a fish or use bait... This doesn’t sound very fun.
No it doesn't...but when you get there on the right day the fishing can be phenomenal!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
No it doesn't...but when you get there on the right day the fishing can be phenomenal!
True. It’s been very slow this spring, but it’s still good for the soul to get on the water.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Not sure about the gouging elsewhere, but Paul and Sheri run an excellent operation and their prices are very fair.

The roads, particularly to Winifred Lake Lodge and Grist deteriorate extremely fast in the rain. I have seen some heartbreaking wrecks coming out of there over the years. Anyone that pulls a large boat or RV past the airstrip is taking a huge gamble.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Anyone reading been to the lodge? Heading up next week. Curious what shape the road is in right now. May take our boat, always made it in but it can be slick.
How was fishing? It should be just getting good!!!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Banned

Ok. We were supposed to go today but the rain and the road conditions have put us on pause. It sounds like the road is impassable right now as some one with a boat or perhaps more than one boat was stuck and has mad a big hole. We will try again tomorrow.

So much rain forecasted for that area... YUCK.. Up to 75 MIL was on the weather network. We have packed the Salmon fishing rain gear.. All rubber... Lets see what we can do!!

My First time targeting Walleye as I have never caught one. I am using 5 diamonds with a steel leader (2s and 4s) . Thoughts? Also have green/yellow jigs with a fluttery silver leaf/spoon on them. Thought that attached with a rubber (Black) tail was a good shot. Do I use the same steel leader? Also, am I bouncing this jig off the bottom or just finding bottom and jigging my way back?

I did buy a portable depth sounder/Fish finder as well. Nice little Garmin unit.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker2 View Post
Anyone reading been to the lodge? Heading up next week. Curious what shape the road is in right now. May take our boat, always made it in but it can be slick.
How was fishing? It should be just getting good!!!
I saw pictures of the lodge/public road last week and I wouldn’t even take it in a lifted 4x4. Good luck with a boat.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ok. We were supposed to go today but the rain and the road conditions have put us on pause. It sounds like the road is impassable right now as some one with a boat or perhaps more than one boat was stuck and has mad a big hole. We will try again tomorrow.

So much rain forecasted for that area... YUCK.. Up to 75 MIL was on the weather network. We have packed the Salmon fishing rain gear.. All rubber... Lets see what we can do!!

My First time targeting Walleye as I have never caught one. I am using 5 diamonds with a steel leader (2s and 4s) . Thoughts? Also have green/yellow jigs with a fluttery silver leaf/spoon on them. Thought that attached with a rubber (Black) tail was a good shot. Do I use the same steel leader? Also, am I bouncing this jig off the bottom or just finding bottom and jigging my way back?

I did buy a portable depth sounder/Fish finder as well. Nice little Garmin unit.
Jaime it’s an easy lake to fish. Use you garmin, look for life. You’ll catch fish. Pike are everywhere just troll huge spoons. Walleye are plentiful off most any point a tad deeper, but you’ll get them on the same gear for pike. It’s kind of crazy. The river can hold lots of fish if the wind come up, it’s kind of crappy in the wind, nowhere to hide.
I’ll be curious to hear about the road. I do have 3/4 ton 4X4 so I’m sure we will be fine, just curious about the boat or not. It’s only a 17 ft aluminum so not a Monster. Pulls lite.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Default It’s bad!

I’ve worked there for over 20 years, and I’ve never seen the road past the airstrip so bad. I turned around last week with my truck (no trailer). Even when the road is “good”, it can turn ugly very quickly with a few hours of rain. The previous lodge owners were in the oilfield maintenance business, had the equipment, and experienced operators to keep the road in good shape. That is not the case now, and it shows. Soon enough that lodge will be back to a fly in only camp.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
I’ve worked there for over 20 years, and I’ve never seen the road past the airstrip so bad. I turned around last week with my truck (no trailer). Even when the road is “good”, it can turn ugly very quickly with a few hours of rain. The previous lodge owners were in the oilfield maintenance business, had the equipment, and experienced operators to keep the road in good shape. That is not the case now, and it shows. Soon enough that lodge will be back to a fly in only camp.
Which is EXACTLY what Lloyd McMahon wants!!! He’s probably digging the holes!!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Which is EXACTLY what Lloyd McMahon wants!!! He’s probably digging the holes!!
Could be, but would not be wise. There are other ways to access that lake.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:

There is a TON of lakes where you can catch non stop walleye that are paved right to the boat launch if that is your goal.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
There is a TON of lakes where you can catch non stop walleye that are paved right to the boat launch if that is your goal.
I would imagine they would want some monster pike in the mix as well and that area has a few of those .
Old 06-05-2020, 12:18 AM
Banned

Here now. Nasty road. Literally saw a trailer ripped in 1/2 Anyone pulls their boat in here is making a mistake. Big rain, no fish at all this after noon. Lets see what tomorrow brings.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:20 AM

If a guy is planning to launch at Paul the trappers. How would the road be? I know the public launch road is past it and is generally way worse. This will be my first time in with a 18ft glass boat.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Here now. Nasty road. Literally saw a trailer ripped in 1/2 Anyone pulls their boat in here is making a mistake. Big rain, no fish at all this after noon. Lets see what tomorrow brings.
With the weather change, move a tad deeper and downsize baits. Use a smaller walleye type crankbait and key is hitting bottom. The area called the cliffs always does well. Or around the larger of the 2 islands far from the lodge.
Has to be fish to be caught.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
If a guy is planning to launch at Paul the trappers. How would the road be? I know the public launch road is past it and is generally way worse. This will be my first time in with a 18ft glass boat.
I was there a week ago and Paul had his road in the best shape I’ve ever seen it. With the rain, it’ll grease up a bit, but he grades it himself and does a good job. I’ve never had an issue getting into his place regardless of weather.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I was there a week ago and Paul had his road in the best shape I’ve ever seen it. With the rain, it’ll grease up a bit, but he grades it himself and does a good job. I’ve never had an issue getting into his place regardless of weather.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 PM
Banned

Back from another fun trip with the kids. Fish and weather did not co operate but we sure did laugh.

Winefred Lake lodge is looking run down TBH. It seems they have some improving going on with a new deck and so on. Service from the dock hand was top notch. Jon (one of the owners) was a nice guy and answered our questions. We had no heat in the unit for the stay and that was one of the bigger reasons we decided to leave early. We couldn't justify no heat, wet clothes and $500 a night combined with no fishing with the weather. We were given a small space heater but that was not overly effective with keeping us warm and had little effect on getting our stuff dry. Jon assumed the heat just was going to take a while to kick in. We were still waiting 48 hours later. Going out I took the advice of a employee of the lodge and followed his direction on what side to take the deep hole.. I should have listened to myself. $700 with of Bumper plastic later and we were through. I brought this up with Jon and was told that its not their responsibility to take care of the road. Fair enough and I suppose he is right.I would have been happy with just a acknowledgment of his guy making a bad call after I told him what way we used on the way in with help from another employee. Instead it was thrown back on me saying I had asked for help. But anyhow, it doesn't matter. It was my truck and I had final say. I do enjoy that lake though. The sun came out on Friday and the action heated right up. We had 30 fish to the boat in 2 hours. It was hot and heavy with the largest being a 15 pound pike. The minute the clouds came back the bite died off. It was like a switch. Only caught one more fish after that. So much to learn about this fresh water stuff. I sure am enjoying it. But once again, the kids made me laugh , we smiled, we played cards and teased the hell out of each other. Not sure where our next adventure will take us. We caught one lousy Walleye and it is about 2 inches long. Great picture though!!! Seems this Walleye fishing is as tough as elk hunting!!!
Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 AM

Sounds like our trip last year. Lots of waiting for good weather that never came.
What is your advice on the road? I’ll take your advice on this hole to avoid. Would we get a boat in? It’s fairly light with decent clearance towing.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:59 AM

Not impressed by your story on the lodge conditions or the room condition. Pretty sad you had to pay for that after being in the rain and trying to dry off your clothes. They should
Old 06-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker2 View Post
Sounds like our trip last year. Lots of waiting for good weather that never came.
What is your advice on the road? I’ll take your advice on this hole to avoid. Would we get a boat in? It’s fairly light with decent clearance towing.
I wouldn't even think about a boat. Not a chance in hell. A car topper on a rack MIGHT work but I would be worried about being top heavy. I would imagine with every pass that hole gets worse. As I said, I saw a trailer ripped in half.

Go left on the way in and right on the way out. Take a tow strap. Consider hooking it up before you take a run ai it. Have a winch? Cum along? Dont go alone
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 PM

Flooding on 881 and all around lac la biche. I hope the fish aren’t reading these reports. Just getting there might be the biggest adventure. Camp boats it is!