Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Log Homes

Just wondering if anybody on this forum has any experience with log houses, what I am looking for is a vertical log that is is cut out for goingon the corners of homes. We are building a traditional stick built house with lots of rock and were going to put log on the corners. There is an office building in Hinton on the way to the Willow Creek road that has these logs with Stucco, I have pictures and will try and post them. Any info would be great thanks. Sorry couldn't post them. I believe when you are coming off the Willow Creek road and turn left the building is out there and there was no sign on it. Building has red roof with log and a tanny pink stucco color.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 PM

i'm building a log home by camrose right now but what i think your talking about is just a log capping. probly just nailed on the outside for esthetics. any competent home builder should be able to do this for you hardest part may be sourcing the wood to make it look authentic.

my log home is sourced from ontario, the price is about 50% that of alberta and the logs are very large. but there are some log builders in your area. and by edson also.

just dont use stains from home hardware. they are low quality.

-first use a insectcide, borate is what i used kills termites, carpenter wasps and other bugs on contact. and kills all molds. perty much fully protects your logs.

- then stain 3-4 times depending on your tastei used weathershield

- then clear 2-3 times with a log home clear.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 PM

Thanks wsmman, ya it is just a cornerpost with a 90 cut out of it to go on the corner of the house. Who is the log home builder out of Ontario you used, be interesting to see if they might have what I am looking for, Thanks.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Any competent guy with a chain saw should be able to make up what you need. Try one of your local log builders.
Grizz
Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 AM

i used legendary logcrafters. they build old design traditional dovetail and scandiavian cope log homes.

they definatly would have what you looking for they do lots of timberframe homes as well. ill have to post some pics of my house.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Call Mark Deagle Log Building in Hinton. Mark has been building quality log homes for over 25 years. One of his guys would be able to make what you need quite easily. His yard is just a few km's south of highway 16 on the road to Cadomin.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks guys, Big Bull I have seen that log builder on the way to Cadomin and have always wanted to stop there, the bad thing is it is on the way to Cadomin and I am way more excited to go kill bighorn sheep than to check out log houses. I will give them a call, be a good excuse to spend a day at Cadomin when I pick up the logs. Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Alberta:

Living Log and Timber Ltd.--located in Breton, AB , Log and timber frames homes, commercial buildings, restoration and consulting. Furniture and accessories (cornblasting, chinking). They design cabins and large scale mansions, and offer home inspections. www.livinglogandtimber.com

Mark Deagle Log Building Ltd. located in Hinton, AB --Mark Deagle constructs custom log homes including complex roof systems, staircases, log furniture, also design consultation and plan drawing. Call Mark at phone : 780-865-1513 fax: 780-865-1100

Moose Mountain Log Homes Inc. of Bragg Creek, AB builds handcrafted full scribe log homes guaranteed never to need chinking. www.moosemountain.com

Twin Butte Log Homes Ltd.--Bruce Mackintosh of Twin Butte, AB , Twin Butte Log Homes builds custom handcrafted log shell package by contract, log stairs and log railings. Call Twin Butte Log Homes at phone : 403-627-2609