Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Default Altagas

I own a piece of property and have new neighbors which are building. Altagas approached me about running a gas line across my property (100-150M) on an existing right-of-way which has a high pressure line through it already.
Does Altagas have to pay me for access, and if so, how much. The guy I spoke with is telling me that they aren't offering anything, and the advantage to me is that if I build there, the gas line is close, but they will charge $6000 to hook it up.
I get the impression that I am being taken for a ride here. Anyone care to weigh in on this one?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 AM

There will be agreements similar to any pipeline company coming through. Everything is up for negotiations. In my opinion and experience, even if they are entering an existing right-of-way (ROW), they are negatively impacting your ability to use your land during the construction period and you should be compensated for it.

The exact amounts will depend on your negotiations skills. Keep in mind that if you're too stubborn, they will go around your property.

As for annual rental rates, or for re-entering the ROW to complete repairs, I don't know much about that.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 AM

if it's within an existing ROW than they do not have to pay entry fees, however they will have to pay for the restoration of your property back to it's normal state.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 PM

It depends on what was stated in the initial agreement. Was it for one line only and only one construction event? If so, they will have to take out a new lease with you and definitely have to pay damages no matter what.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
It depends on what was stated in the initial agreement. Was it for one line only and only one construction event? If so, they will have to take out a new lease with you and definitely have to pay damages no matter what.
The line was there before I bought the property, so I don't know the details.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM

Not always an advantage to have the gas line close. When we built our house alta gas charged us $5400 for a 100 foot line. They say because we are rural it would cost the same to run 100 ft or 1 km.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:03 PM

I can't speak for the utility company ROW but I have some oil P/L's across the property, and if they used a 30M ROW the first time, they paid full land value and damages again for the second one when they used the remaining 20M. They don't pay an annual rental unless there is an above ground valve site.
If they own the high press ROW I doubt you can stop them, but it may give you some chance to negotiate your own new riser at no charge.
The rural gas co-op also has a blanket easement on my property whereby now that we allowed them on to provide the service they can run a line anywhere with only damages payable. Be careful this is not the same. They also charge about $8500 for a service no matter what distance.
Don't be rushed to sign anything, have an applicable lawyer look it over and pass the charges on to them.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 AM

Under existing agreements for your URW you will not be compensated financially, only restoration or crop loss if that occurs, 33 years in gasfitting and 16 of that with Canadian western. The fee for rural service has been around for a long time and the contribution is paid to your area gas company who then pays it to the government, who then pays it back to the utility company to ensure all Albertans have access to the lowest cost fuel. so even though your contribution of $6000 may seem to be extreme to you the gas company only gets paid the actual cost of your install and the balance goes into the provincial pool to assist in the longer or more difficult service installations. Welcome to a social society love thy neighbour and help pay a bit of his costs, eventually you may be on the receiving end ...well I hope anyway. My gas line runs less than 30 feet from my house and when I built I paid without a problem because I know how the system works.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 AM

A natural gas feeder line is not like a pipeline in that they don't excavate and lay a line and they usually don't have a substantial set back. In our county, they tug the line thru with a ripper so it goes in very quick with little impact. That said, I don't agree with there "the advantage to you is" sales pitch. It's misleading. It is of no advantage to you and you will pay the same amount regardless. I had a similar experience, however the gas line was pulled thru my in laws property to a neighbour and they were told the same thing. That it would be cheaper for them if they ever built and wanted gas. That of course isn't true. What ever the going fee is for natural gas is what you pay. No deduction because you save them money prior . I agree with the gas coop concept but I don't agree with lying to people to get access.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Gas co-oops rarely pay for running a utility line across your property. It's just kinda considered the neighborly thing to do by allowing access across your property so the neighbor can be hooked up.
Only time I have heard of any money being paid out is when the utility line was for an oil companys lease site, they were the ones that paid a bit of compensation to the land owner
Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Gas co-oops rarely pay for running a utility line across your property. It's just kinda considered the neighborly thing to do by allowing access across your property so the neighbor can be hooked up.
Only time I have heard of any money being paid out is when the utility line was for an oil companys lease site, they were the ones that paid a bit of compensation to the land owner
x2. Just think if your neighbor decided not to let them run the line to your place. It happens, same with power lines.

Grizz
Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM

I work for a gas utility company and them asking to cross your land is up to, but as for compensation they pay crop damages and restoration but that's it. We due tons of easements and this questions comes up steady, it is your choice to let them.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz325 View Post
I work for a gas utility company and them asking to cross your land is up to, but as for compensation they pay crop damages and restoration but that's it. We due tons of easements and this questions comes up steady, it is your choice to let them.
Yup. Hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM

As someone that is building a house and has to tap into a main gas line on a neighbours property, my advice is that if you seek compensation try not to delay the process any more than it already takes.

We applied for our gas line through ATCO gas on June 6th and it still hasn't been put in the ground. Our house is now delayed because we can't continue on because there is no heat to dry the drywall mud. It's been 5 months since we gave them $8,000 and we still have nothing to show for it... except for more expenses due to the delay!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM

This bites for you, delays can be as long as a year for rural service and the deadline for same season construction guarantee is some time in August. If they are having difficulty getting assignments( if the main gas line is not on your property) this may be due to the questions brought up by the OP. Also remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease, call them on a regular basis,
in the fall there is always a huge back log!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM

We have been calling/emailing multiple times per week since the beginning of August when our site ready date was. We have heard responses such as "we've put a rush on it", to "We'll know more after the meeting with the lands department", to my favourite and most common "I'm new here and we are short staffed". We have been more than patient but that is wearing thin as the delays lengthen are we are now seeking to get other parties involved to speed up the process.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz325 View Post
So, the Utility contractor was by yesterday, asking permission to access my land to replace a power pole, that serves my neighbor. If I said, no Fn way, what would be the chances of him letting me hunt there in the future ?

Grizz