Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Default What extent would u go to keep your fishing spot a secret?

Last year me and a buddy had a run in with an angry landowner who tried everything in the book to keep us away from an epic spot we found within half an hour of a million people.. Long story short it started with this huge bodybuilder type trying to order us off the water and quickly escalated to him throwing boulders and a chunk of a railway tie at us and trying to assault us as we jumped back and forth of a barb wire fence as our protection .... When he broke into my truck we called the cops and he left ( nothing came of it) I know some of u are crazies too or u met a crazy... So how far would you go to keep your secret spot a secret?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Trespassing without permission is a crime , try asking for perrmission next time.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 PM

I won't post it here

But I'll happily take friends to it. Fish aren't THAT rare.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM

We were not trespassing and it wasn't on his land .... This is how things escalated... We knew the law and what we were doing before we did it and we called F&W ourselves .... We broke no laws but like you, he tried to make us believe that!.... Haha r u by any chance a bodybuilder?... Just askin
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
We were not trespassing and it wasn't on his land .... This is how things escalated... We knew the law and what we were doing before we did it and we called F&W ourselves .... We broke no laws but like you, he tried to make us believe that!.... Haha r u by any chance a bodybuilder?... Just askin
Hahahaha, that is too funny!!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Last person who found out about my secret spot has gone missing. Just sayin !

Dodger.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Last year me and a buddy had a run in with an angry landowner who tried everything in the book to keep us away from an epic spot we found within half an hour of a million people.. Long story short it started with this huge bodybuilder type trying to order us off the water and quickly escalated to him throwing boulders and a chunk of a railway tie at us and trying to assault us as we jumped back and forth of a barb wire fence as our protection .... When he broke into my truck we called the cops and he left ( nothing came of it) I know some of u are crazies too or u met a crazy... So how far would you go to keep your secret spot a secret?
sounds rational, I'd probably kill a guy.....but I would also kill a man for a Klondike bar..........so maybe im just nuts

seriously, if someone asks about a spot we are fishing and it is super good (have a few on the NSR) I tell them its dead.........waste of time I'll say and quickly move one (and come back later)
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
What were you catching at your epic spot? besides trouble...
Old 07-13-2012, 02:52 PM

i guess maybe its like hunting somewhat..... your deep in the bush on crown land....... you come across a natural salt lick with tons of elk and moose coming and using it........you think JACKPOT!........ thats when you notice the treestand hovering over it 20 feet up.........do you set up your stand on the next tree over or move on looking for your own little honey hole? it is perfectly legal none the less........ lots of crown land to hunt, miles and miles of shoreline to fish......
Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Wink

Mine is so secret I don't even fish there lest someone spots me, I'm content just knowing about my secret spot.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Mine is so secret I don't even fish there lest someone spots me, I'm content just knowing about my secret spot.
haha! An AO classic right there folks!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
sounds rational, I'd probably kill a guy.....but I would also kill a man for a Klondike bar..........so maybe im just nuts

seriously, if someone asks about a spot we are fishing and it is super good (have a few on the NSR) I tell them its dead.........waste of time I'll say and quickly move one (and come back later)
Ahh! Good one! haha haven't thought of that! Usually when people ask I haven't caught anything yet. I'll remember that line!

And as far as the crazy stories go, I've just had people saying
"you're not allowed to fish in the river"
"well, why not?"
"Because you can only fish in lakes."

I ended up telling them the call the cops on me for fishing in the river, and they left and never came back.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
lol... Pure comedy
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Banned

Default mine must be so secret

Quote:
Not a lot of fish seem to know about it...
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Dont tell fisherman guy jj gibsOn lol!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:50 PM

I think poker golf has the best comment of all time ... And about the spot wouldn't u like to know.... All I'll say is 6 diff species of fish lots and biggies in small water .... And of course it's not what we caught that is so intriguing .... It's what got away
Old 07-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Instant classic! I'm quoting ya
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Years ago was fishing on the north raven staright west of the old store and upstream when a guy came down to the water with a shotgun and told us to get off his land we are trespassing.i told him we are in the creek sorry you dont own it and he said ohhhhhhhh yes i do.......guess what i realized i wasnt going to win this argumement and off we went on our merry way
Old 07-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Pikergolf not poker golf sorry auto correct.... Shotguns bring about a new law quickly..
Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Last time I caught someone fishing my secret spot I threw boulders and a chunck of railway tie at the people fishing it. Lol.

A soon as someone spots me on my secret haunt I fire my boat up and move. And don't come back until know one suspects anything. If I'm one the river, I drop my draws and take a crap. Keep most people away. LoL It would uncomfortable if someone started fishing while I was at my bussness!!

Last edited by ViperV7; 07-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I think poker golf has the best comment of all time ... And about the spot wouldn't u like to know.... All I'll say is 6 diff species of fish lots and biggies in small water .... And of course it's not what we caught that is so intriguing .... It's what got away
Defitintely don't need to hear more about your spot as I have plenty of my own. But I'm genuine in saying, and I'm sure I speak for others, but I LOVE a good fishing story if you care to share. We all seem to have that " one that got away " haunting us.

If stating species really does give it away then I understand.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM

I will take a few friends to some of my spots, but have one or two that no one fishes without a blindfold.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Trespassing without permission is a crime , try asking for perrmission next time.
humm how is what happen Trespassing i love to here it i will waite your reply
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 780sjc View Post
Defitintely don't need to hear more about your spot as I have plenty of my own. But I'm genuine in saying, and I'm sure I speak for others, but I LOVE a good fishing story if you care to share. We all seem to have that " one that got away " haunting us.

If stating species really does give it away then I understand.
Any guesses on what it was?

[
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 PM

If you're willing to wear that much velvet off the wading boots you're probably a dedicated enough angler to treat my secret spots well.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 AM

I don't have any secret spots because its not what fishing is about there are so many enjoyable parts of fishing and to keep them a secret would be just wrong..

the older guys/younger guys who shared the art with me, i thank you all and take my hat off and look up and smile knowing that each one of you who have past, helped in making me a Complete Angler and if i can help any angler i will

wasn't it Peter who said take a man fishing you feed him for a day but teach him how to fish and feed him for Life

Food for Thought
David
Old 07-14-2012, 01:41 AM

I like the last two from speckle and Steven .... What is in a secret? Is anyone truly self taught? Most of my fav spots came from my father in laws fishing journal and guess what the good fishing spots then still produce today(30 years later).... And for the most part I'd rather a person getting out and enjoying fishing rather than sitting at home playing video games
Old 07-14-2012, 01:48 AM

I would not post it here but I would take friends to it. And they would take 2 friends and they would take 2 friends and so on and so on and so on.........
Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 AM

Trespassing is not having permission to be on or cross someone elses land. Pretty simple. Not saying his reaction was proper but people do protect their land , who knows what he was trying to hide.