Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Winchester model 70 sporter

I handled my cousins win m70 sporter in 7mm RM yesterday, It was a very solid rifle, the action was very smooth, but it wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn. This concerns me because I was leaning towards the m70 sporter. At 100 yards the best we could get was 2 inch groups . So we brought it home and free floated the barrel. Took the rifle back out today, and it shot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards, not bad. He will tune the trigger and that should help bring the groups down a little. He bought it used from wss and they said that the barrel was free floated, the very very tip was all that was free floated, everything else was touching a little. We took pictures of before and after we free floated it,we went back to the store and questioned the guy at wss, he said that the rifle was fully free floated, but when we showed him the pictures he quickly changed his tune. The manager that happened to be working beside him at the time over heard us and came over, looked at the pictures, and decided to give my cousin a free box of remington 7mm 150 grain bullets. I guess the manager was in a good mood .
Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin xl7 View Post
I handled my cousins win m70 sporter in 7mm RM yesterday, It was a very solid rifle, the action was very smooth, but it wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn. This concerns me because I was leaning towards the m70 sporter. At 100 yards the best we could get was 2 inch groups . So we brought it home and free floated the barrel. Took the rifle back out today, and it shot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards, not bad. He will tune the trigger and that should help bring the groups down a little. He bought it used from wss and they said that the barrel was free floated, the very very tip was all that was free floated, everything else was touching a little. We took pictures of before and after we free floated it,we went back to the store and questioned the guy at wss, he said that the rifle was fully free floated, but when we showed him the pictures he quickly changed his tune. The manager that happened to be working beside him at the time over heard us and came over, looked at the pictures, and decided to give my cousin a free box of remington 7mm 150 grain bullets. I guess the manager was in a good mood .
Guess the lesson there was ...beleive nothing you hear and only half of what you see...if you're getting 3/4" with a sporter...go for it....
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Not a bad buy he picked it up for $550. Can't complain with the groups for that price.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin xl7 View Post
Not a bad buy he picked it up for $550. Can't complain with the groups for that price.
Exactly what I said...
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 PM

My dad bought me a model 70 sporter 7mm RM in 96 from WSS for cheap (I think is was like $350). We were is the store and not even looking for a gun but the price was right, it was my grad present. Long story short it shoots great 3 inch pattern at 300yards with out much effort in reloading. I shoot SST's and 4831 imr.