Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Default 11 year old tasered in Prince George

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/ri...child/85845884

on Friday an 11 year old stabbed a 37year old at a group home. The RCMP showed up and at some point ended up tasering the 11year old.

THe BC CIVIL LIBERTIES ASSOCIATION had an interview condemming the attack. I put the link at the top of this message.

Needless to say the president ( David EDY) infuriated me. I sent him a long email about how asinine he sounded and why. I'm sure I won't hear back from him.

I for one feel it's ok to taser the 11 year old. He made a choice! He already stabbed 1 person he must have still had the knife to warrant being taserred.

I worked in Child care for 20 years. I had an 11year old who was 5' 10" 290lbs put 2 staff in the hospital. If he came at a police officer with a knife what do you think would happen? He would be shot? We would be discussing, how an 11 year old was taserred but how one was shot and killed.

The problem I see here is they are making the Rcmp and the 37yrold responsible for the 11year old behaviour and chices. There is no accountability for the choices he made that night.

What are your thoughts

SycoSean
Old 04-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Too many unknowns to form an opinion at this point. We don't know if the boy had a weapon at the time, if he attacked the officers, or how large the boy is.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Too many unknowns to form an opinion at this point. We don't know if the boy had a weapon at the time, if he attacked the officers, or how larger the boy is.
X2
Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Tazering an 11 year-old child sounds 'pretty exceptional' to me! As we know, in some circumstances, tazers have been known to kill full grown adults.

But unlike the OP, I am prepared to wait until all the facts are in, before passing judgment.

TF
Old 04-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

x3

The RCMP have been very selective in the news that has been let out to the media since the incident occured.

When the RCMP act in a selective manner in the disclosure of facts to the media, I start thinking of cover up.

The RCMP acted in the same way towards the media when they "dealt with" that Polish tourist at the Vancouver airport.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Time will or won't tell.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM

I Agree Sycosean,I Support the cops tazering the kid,if he stabbed someone he more than deserved it.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 PM

kid should be thankful he aint dead. knife = deadly force. Deadly force = deadly force. If Tasering is all the kid got, they got off easy!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I Agree Sycosean,I Support the cops tazering the kid,if he stabbed someone he more than deserved it.
The police could very well have be justified in tasering the kid, if he had a weapon ,or if he attacked the officers. However, if he was unarmed, and wasn't a threat to anyone when the officers arrived, the officers may not have been justified in tasering him, regardless of what he had done previously. At this point, we don't know enough details of the situation to know what actually happened.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The police could very well have be justified in tasering the kid, if he had a weapon ,or if he attacked the officers. However, if he was unarmed, and wasn't a threat to anyone when the officers arrived, the officers may not have been justified in tasering him, regardless of what he had done previously. At this point, we don't know enough details of the situation to know what actually happened.
No ,You stab someone you should be stabbed aswell.

The little Rat got what he deserved.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post

The little Rat got what he deserved.
What if he was being sexually assaulted by another male?

Have you ever seen the people in group homes.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
So if you stab someone, nobody should ask how or why, the police should just stab you, no matter what the circumstances? What if the person was attacked, and was defending himself?

Quote:
What if he was being sexually assaulted by another male?
Not at all unheard of in group homes.

But since I don't know the details yet, I won't pass judgement at this time, on the person that was tasered, or on the police.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Why not just give him a time out?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Redfrog:

I think we have a very sad story developing here.

If the people who have responded to this issue are true law enforcement officers who like to convict people before they are in front of a judge , we obviously have a very serious problem in our society.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Greylynx you may be right.

On another note you may want to find another news channel to watch.

" we obviously have a very serious problem in our society"

This isn't news.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 PM

He should have been shot.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
He should have been shot.
Would you feel differently if you found out that the kid flipped out and used the knife on someone in the group home that had sexually assaulted him, or that was repeatedly beating him? Way too many possibilities to judge the kid or the police officers at this point.

Quote:
I think we have a very sad story developing here.
Unfortunately, I feel the same way.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Well I would guess he wasnt in the group home for good behavior and from what I understood from the news he had the knife with him so I think it was one of the better options the police had because this way the kid is still alive. No one was seriously injured and the incident was resolved. I think the police involved made the right decision.

Last edited by laker1; 04-10-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Unhappy

I find it kind of sad that many here have taken the position that, as an example; "He should have been shot". When all the facts have yet to be disclosed. I see this as a rather sad testimonial of some who lurk here on the AOF.

Fortunately, although far from perfect, our legal system doesn't work that way.

TF
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

too many unknowns to pass judgement on this, but....the kid is 11. gonna be tough to convince me that an adult, especially a cop couldnt wrestle down a kid. whichever.

a similar event happened earlier this week. an 8 year old was pepper sprayed for threatening a teacher with a stick in the US. the real problem is that liberal minded wussism....is that a word?.... prevents anyone from even breathing on a kid anymore.

the worst part is that the media will report it as a society failure that should have been able to prevent it with tender care. bahhhhhhh. i like my new word.....wussism it is.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
I find it kind of sad that many here have taken the position that, as an example; "He should have been shot". When all the facts have yet to be disclosed. I see this as a rather sad testimonial of some who lurk here on the AOF.

Fortunately, although far from perfect, our legal system doesn't work that way.

TF
x2
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Banned

You guys are all falling for the red herring in the story..........an 11 year old was tasered.

Let's see, an 11 year old knifed someone and police were called to the scene......police arrive and the 11 year old still had the knife and refused to comply with the Officers orders..........Officers used non-deadly force to disarm him so he couldn't do any harm to himself or anyone else. The 11 year old was then taken into custody......no one else got hurt......end of story. The police did what they were supposed to do.

So what appears to be the problem here? That he was only 11 years old? He seemed to do okay with the knife on the 37 year old guy so why not with someone else?

It's just sensationalism by the media to sell more newspapers and not an issue IMO.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 AM

I'm with HunterDave on this one. The "kid" was using possibly deadly force, which in most cases warrants a couple rounds unleashed in center mass. The tazer was probably a good option in this case; used for what it was designed for. It saved one or three people, kid included, (he could have used on himself as well) from serious injury or death.

I have no problem with a good old bash-a-thon, providing we are bashing the right people for the right reason. G20? For sure. Dieskanski? (spelling?) It's on.
But in this case, at least at first blush sounds like it was probably the right move.

I'm not going to speculate on the how and why of the stabbing, but the 37 year old would have had a backround check and the kid wasn't in there because he's junior samaritan of the year.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 AM

we need the faxs witch we will probably never see.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Time will or won't tell.
It seems it will!

This just in ... The Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP has launched a separate independent probe into the conduct of an RCMP officer who used a Taser on an 11 year-old boy; http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ta...#ixzz1Jbrt6q8z

I've always been a fairly strong supporter of the RCMP, but at the same time, I've never been comfortable with the idea of them investigating themselves with no independent input (police, policing the police). We have seen in the past how that flawed system can fail us.

Here's hoping this independent Commission will shed additional light on this matter.

TF
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

I hope that the Officers involved make out okay. They neutralized the situation with minimal force with the tools that they had available at the time. Maybe, pepper spray would have worked.........or maybe not. The knife will cut and stab you the same if it's in an 11 year old's hands or a grown man's.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

here's my opinion on this to all those who are saying but what if the poor kid was...... use common sense. if a kid was tazered he was clearly aggressive still after the fact. I would give the rcmp the benefit of the doubt that they didnt just walk in the door and tazer the first person they saw. these are people charged with protecting society and yes there are some really bad cops out there who make some bad decisions. but usually those bad decisions are physical abuse, improper arrest or just being an azzhole. using a tazzer is a large escalation from tackling the kid and using excessive force to arrest him. there was clearly a cause to justify a tazer over a night stick or a hand to hand. benefit of doubt goes to the cop unless otherwise proven. A punk is a punk. you cant run around stabbing people for any reason. violence has become such a common thing in our society that we are desensitized to it. people talk about someone stabbing or shooting someone as if it is not a big deal. Reality check. its a big deal. especially when you are talk about a minor being able to do something like that without an inkling of why its wrong
Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

oh and regards to using tazzers on children. agreed can not take the same voltage as adults. solution. make stun guns with 2 settings. on for use on minors one for use on adults. If i was a cop i would have no moral conflicts tazing a child who's current actions warrant such treatment.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM

I'll wait for some facts before judging this tazering incident.

Was this use of force justified for public and police safety?

Cop Vs. Baby Squirrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eDhd...layer_embedded
Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM

I wonder if that B.C. rights group has condemned the 11 year old use of a knife in the stabbing?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA