Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 10:36 PM

Default Goose Hunting

So I'm new to the whole Canada goose hunting concept and i'm wondering whether the 18 decoys I have right now are enough to bring the geese in? also any tips on setting them up. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 PM

18 dekes can do it but it kinda depends on what kind you have whether its homemade or fully flocked fullbodies. the biggest part about hunting with only a few decoys is location. if the birds dont already want to be there your 18 dekes wont do much to change their mind. find the exact spot in the field where the birds were the morning/evening before and setup right there. my usual decoy setup is a V or U shape with the blind at the bottom of the V facing forward and the wind at my back. geese will land into the wind so that is what your planning for.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 PM

Early season you definatly have plenty of decoys, in the early season i set them up in small family groups mostly all facing into the wind and as the season progresses bigger decoy spreads are better and then late season like right now the geese are pretty wary and decoy shy so i would cut my decoy spread down to like two dozen or 18 would work and the key is movement to make your set up look real a goose flag is your friend and they are realitivly cheap and you can even make your own the best way to figure out how to set your decoys is to watch a flock feed in a field or look on the internet or buy a magazine they always have decoy spread layouts in waterfowl hunting articles.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 PM

A lot of guys of course have massive spreads, and with great success.

I have been running 4...FOUR canada decoys this season. (because I've been hunting by myself some days)

You know how right at the first light of morning you see a pair, or just a flock of 4 or 5?

We'll they have to land somewhere, and be the 1st in the field.

I've come home with birds every trip out this season and have had flocks come look at my "4" every time.

That having been said, I'm in an awesome spot, so that helps.

No matter what guys say, don't stay home just cause you only have 18, set em up where the birds want to be and you'll see action.

By the way...I haven't hunted in a week because all my stuff got stolen last thursday
Old 10-20-2016, 11:06 PM

I have 12 shells and they are all resters and then I have 6 fully flocked full body feeders. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definitely gonna have to go out and scout some fields. Never gonna get any if I don't ever try.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:08 AM

Have you seen many geese this year? There hasn't been much around Calgary, and my buddies place by Rosetown, Sask says there is almost nothing out his way this year either. Last year there were thousands upon thousands.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 AM

Anyone around Peace River or Grande Prairie area with gear want someone to tag along? I wanted to get into the duck/goose thing this year but being my first year hunting it's already been quite expensive to get all my gear, decoys and blind will have to be next year... hoping maybe someone would want to bring a newbie along, but I get that maybe that's not something people would want to do.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default Sometimes less is more .

Honker is right ( sorry about your theft) I have had some of my best
November hunts with 6 decoys . There are a number of tricks to
Putting out small spreads ( see you tube ) . You can make them
Look bigger and as has been said, always set up right where they were .
Always do a **** check to make sure your on the X .

Dre75 .....that is something people want to do . Check with one
Of your Fish and Game clubs , see about their mentor
Program .

Calgary area and east .....I don't believe the big goose push
Has happened yet . I am out 2-3 times a week . Haven't seen
big migrations yet !
Old 10-22-2016, 07:49 PM

I'd honestly say you're a bit light. I'd try adding some silhouettes or silo socks to get up to 3-4 dozen.

Yes, it's more work, but you can get more geese quicker. Last time I went out, we had about 10 dozen decoys. We limited out in the span of about an hour and a half.

Also, consider getting a flag. I find it really helps to draw in the far out groups.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Drove from Yorkton to Airdrie on Sunday last week. I did see a few large groups of Ducks and Geese(Snow and Canadian).Rosetown had a few groups. I don't think the season has had its big migration yet. Ive seen on a few FB groups talking about the season coming to an end? Thats a bit confusing to me. Its barely started.

I was hunting in Yorkton in the last day we got 42 ducks and 20 geese.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
I'd honestly say you're a bit light. I'd try adding some silhouettes or silo socks to get up to 3-4 dozen.

Yes, it's more work, but you can get more geese quicker. Last time I went out, we had about 10 dozen decoys. We limited out in the span of about an hour and a half.

Also, consider getting a flag. I find it really helps to draw in the far out groups.
Although more decoys is great to have its not needed. For just hiding one guy 18 will do fine. People always get hung up on numbers but good scouting and good cover will win over everytime. For example this shoot was with 6 guys and our decoy spread was a whopping 3 doz shells. No flag no massive spread no ultra realistic decoys just good cover and good calling.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-23-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
Have you seen many geese this year? There hasn't been much around Calgary, and my buddies place by Rosetown, Sask says there is almost nothing out his way this year either. Last year there were thousands upon thousands.
Thousands of geese in Calgary !! That's the problem, they are in the city limits.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:38 PM

Hanna has a ton of geese
Old 10-24-2016, 07:05 AM

I am seeing thousands of geese every time I drive South from Camrose to hunt pheasants. The noise from several thousand snow geese feeding a field over from the release site by Stettler was very loud at times on Saturday. Right now, we have more geese in the area than we had all season. If you are where the geese want to be, you don't need large numbers of decoys, but if the geese want to be elsewhere, even hundreds of decoys often won't bring them in.