Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Fricken lazy operators around here never have the cat heaters lit, too cold in the shacks to use as blinds. And what’s with the annoying hissing sloshing toilet flushing sounds going on in there all day?
Help the op up and fire the heater up! They work really well when you put tyrap around the safety...
Old 11-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Discrediting dangerous hunting practices is part of preserving the right to hunt no? Too many cases of people getting shot by those that have no clue.

I'd always heard one of the cardinal rules was not to shoot down or across roads but maybe you don't see any possible ramifications to those actions.
I have to ask how many people a year are getting shot by those that have no clue as you put it just asking because I like to know .

Last edited by last minute; 11-14-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
I have to ask how many people a year are getting shot by those that have no clue as you put it just asking because I like to know .

I will reply with the obvious.....

1 would be 1 too many. That's why there are laws to minimize the risk

Laws that some feel are open to "interpretation" and ripe for bending
Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbllung View Post
I will reply with the obvious.....

1 would be 1 too many. That's why there are laws to minimize the risk

Laws that some feel are open to "interpretation" and ripe for bending
Just amazes me I wasn’t ASKING YOU but hey it’s the internet everyone has there 2 cent input .
Old 11-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Fricken lazy operators around here never have the cat heaters lit, too cold in the shacks to use as blinds. And what’s with the annoying hissing sloshing toilet flushing sounds going on in there all day?
I hear ya. And never enough soaker pads to make a decent bed.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Some stats you might appreciate. I presume you're looking for some sort of starting point to this so you can state your case but as someone already stated...one accident or death is too many. Idiots employing hunting practices like I started the discussion with are part of the problem. So are those that cross fences with loaded guns in their hands. So are those that do not properly identify their target or have no idea what might be downrange when they shoot.

"The International Hunter Education Association gathers hunting related data including the number of people killed and injured in hunting accidents each year. According to their reports, approximately 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters every year, and just under a hundred of those accidents are fatalities. Although most victims are hunters, some non-hunters are also killed or injured each year"

If you're looking to say "some WITH a clue cause accidents as well" I'd agree with you. People make mistakes and accidents happen but shooting down a roadway? That's deliberately freekin clueless. Every basic hunting course teaches against it and anyone with a lick of common sense would realize it's a dumb idea.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Gone Hunting

about twenty years ago, I was living and working on a farm up north.

One fall day I drive out of the farm yard and there, right across the road from the drive way sits a fellow with a rifle all dressed in camo.
I couldn't imagine why he would be sitting there so I stopped for a chat.

Turned out he was a 45 year old first time hunter and he had no idea where to set up to wait for a Deer. He had seen one cross right there and thought he could sit and wait till it came back. It never once occured to him that there might be a house and yard 100 yards in front of him.

So I invited him to go for a drive with me. I showed him some good Deer trails, discribed how I would set up a ground blind, got him permission on some land.
He even had a cup of coffee with the boss and I.

He got a Deer that fall, and he came back for several falls. He became one of the family for many of the neighbers. I still get Christmas cards from his widow.

Some times people are just doing the best they know how.
Maybe get to know them instead of judging them.
You might make a life long friend.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Well said Keg
Old 11-15-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

One fall day I drive out of the farm yard and there, right across the road from the drive way sits a fellow with a rifle all dressed in camo.

Turned out he was a 45 year old first time hunter and he had no idea where to set up to wait for a Deer. He had seen one cross right there and thought he could sit and wait till it came back. It never once occured to him that there might be a house and yard 100 yards in front of him.

So I invited him to go for a drive with me. I showed him some good Deer trails, discribed how I would set up a ground blind, got him permission on some land.

He got a Deer that fall, and he came back for several falls. He became one of the family for many of the neighbers. I still get Christmas cards from his widow.

This is good stuff
Old 11-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Good for you,need more guys like you around.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Rolling Ground Blind

The other day I saw 6 adults with guns crammed into an older quad cab Dakota cruising the roads for game.....where would they have room for the beer?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Good for you,need more guys like you around.
X2!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 PM

Default This

Well said Keg.