Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Introduction & fishin advice

Hey everybody!

New to the forum, just thought I'd intro myself.

I recently moved back to Calgary (was born here) and am well aware of the world class fishing the Bow River, and the rest of Alberta, has to offer. I have yet to try my luck on the Bow though (rhyme heh). I'm relatively new to fishing, mainly just bait fishin' by a lake with a beer in my hand. I only have a spinning setup, no flyfishin' yet. I got myself some Rapala countdowns, both Rainbow and Brown trout, along with some 2" Buzzbombs, as well as some Panther Martins. I live right by the Bow River in Tuscany and was wondering if that area, below Bearspaw Dam, is any good to fish?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Well, let me be the first to say 'Welcome aboard!'

I'm not in the area so I'm not familiar with the Bow myself, but I've heard many good things about it. I'm sure it won't be long before one of the Calgary folks will chime in and help get you sorted out

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Yup welcome. I however can't help you with BOW advice as I don't fish it, but if you want some pike/walleye advice later on in the southern AB water, let me know.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM

welcome!
the fishing is good all the way from the dam to bowness. lots of good spots if you go park by the railroad tracks just by the dam and walk down. flys, spinners, and spoons have all been successful for me. goodluck!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Nice

Yeah, I'm seeing a nice parking spot right next to the water. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM

yep. that's the one. if you walk west you'll find a few good holes. just be sure to observe the fishing regs about how close to fish to the dam (100 meters I think). I never knew about that rule for a long time
Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercatchmuch View Post
just be sure to observe the fishing regs about how close to fish to the dam (100 meters I think). I never knew about that rule for a long time
Did you find out the hard way? hehe

Anyway, just got back from fishing this spot from noon - 4pm. Unfortunately I did not catch anything. It seemed like the perfect pool, even seeing a few fish jump. I threw my Rapalas and Buzzbombs at them but to no avail . I guess they just like to sit around during the daytime. Maybe I should go later? I know the Browns get fairly active during the evening. Ill give it another shot tonight. Hopefully I'm allowed to be there after dark.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Try the ends of the rock breakwaters at Bowness Park, and around the footbridge on the park side. Go downstream past 85 Street bridge to the railroad bridges, lots of trout on the Bowness side of the river, and whitefish on both sides. And welcome to the forum.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Just remember the closer you are to the dam just be aware of the water levels as they will rise up when they let the water out. Fished there years ago and watched one fellow loose his tackle box to the river when they opened the dam. The water came up quick. Pinch your barbs before Fish'n'Feathers pinch you. Good luck
Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM

I was down there with the kids today too from 2-4. Just stayed below where the car parking is.
I put every spoon and spinner on the kids rods that I had, and I tried almost every fly in my box. Not a nibble.

I don't know how many times I have fished that river and never caught thing.
I'm foolish enough to keep trying though.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM

I assume you're not wading, so I'll leave out the lecture of wading too close to the dam. ;D

That pool you fished is a good spot to fish. But you gotta use the current to your advantage. Don't fish the standing pool water as much as the part with current. The fish, especially whiteys, like to sit in the deep part of that pool where it's connected to the river. Definitely try some buzz bombs in the pool area. Waynechristie is also correct, trying those spots is a good idea. Infact, that spot in bowness park he is talking about is where my friend caught his first fish a few years ago, a 20" brown.

Also, that pool is a good area to sight fish. Over the years I've seen big pike in there, and lots of trout cruising around feeding near the big bouldery area, even whitefish and a few burbot. I actually grabbed a burbot there once in the shallows, but of course it got away.

Don't hesitate to try right at the drowning pool infront of the dam. There's a big ledge with boulders you can sit on.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
Also, that pool is a good area to sight fish. Over the years I've seen big pike in there
Yeah I just returned again tonight to that same pool and a rather large pike darted for my Rapala just as it was getting close to shore, but he didn't strike!!

After no nibbles and a setting sun I decided to go back to my truck. I saw that pool just below the parking lot and decided to give it a try. After a few casts I managed to land the smallest rainbow I've ever caught. He was not much larger than my Rapala lol. I was happy to catch at least something though! He quickly flipped off my de-barbed Rapala as I pulled out my cell to take the pic and soon after into the water. He'll grow up to be big and strong so that he might put up a better fight for me next time.

I learned a new technique too from this guy who seemed to be catching quite a few trout. He had tied an elastic band attached to a nail to the end of his line with two flies 6" and 12" up the line. He would cast it up stream and let it ride along the bottom. If it got caught, I guess the elastic band would help him get it unstuck, which he managed to do many times. Poor mans fly rod lol. Me on the other hand got my Rapala stuck and had to wade out, getting my jeans wet. I wasn't gonna lose a $6 hook!

All in all, I had a great time and got a nice tan while I was at it. I have to remember to bring the bug spray next time though. Damn mosquito's.

Thanks for all the great advice! Imma try those spots ya'll suggested. Gonna give that elastic band fly setup a shot too. Will post my results and some pics of my monster catches!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 PM

Well atleast you caught something. I catch fish that small too on the smaller rapalas, I use a cd05 usually. The fly setup you're talking about is a tried and true method to catch trout and whitefish. It's a good way not to lose flies. If you're confused on what flies to use, san juan worms work well. Buy some of those for sure, and some caddis larva patterns.

caddis larva:
http://www.onlineflytyer.com/Images/...addisLarva.jpg

san juan worm:
http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-...njuanworm.jpeg

some other good flies:

Prince nymph
pheasant tail nymph
copper john
hare's ear

just to name a few. Whenever I go fishing with other ppl I tend to use my spinning rod so I can spend more time helping my buddies catch something. And alot of the time just a simple streamer with a few split shot will catch fish. Any type of leech flies, or clouser minnows will work. Bow river buggers, etc. So not only nymphs will work.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
The fly setup you're talking about is a tried and true method to catch trout and whitefish. It's a good way not to lose flies.
Nice! Whats that setup called, if it does have a name? Grandpas secret weapon? lol.

Anyway, heading out to buy some flies at Bass Pro Shops. They got a pretty good selection. Anyone else got a better/cheaper place to buy flies? Maybe something a little closer to Tuscany? I work at Bass Pro so I'm there most of the time anyway. Employee discount yay!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM

I've fished that pool a few times before and have found it to be quite tough, there are fish there but they're difficult to catch. Also, that fish you caught is actually a brown trout, some of them are fairly silvery.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM

Pick up a few Foxee Minnowspins in rainbow trout and brown trout pattern, you will get a lot of fish with those in that area as well

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Welcome to the AOF SailorJerry.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I've fished that pool a few times before and have found it to be quite tough, there are fish there but they're difficult to catch. Also, that fish you caught is actually a brown trout, some of them are fairly silvery.
Yeah, there were a few people bait fishing and throwing in lures/spinners but they weren't catching anything.

Glad I caught a brown trout!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 PM

Back from some more fishin in that spot. Tried the rubber band and nail fly method. Caught some good sized white fish in the current but no trout. Along with this I lost about 5 flies because the nail got stuck on the bottom. I also lost a Rapala so not too happy about that lol.

It seems to me that fly fishing is the way to go. I know it takes a bit of time to get into according with some of my coworkers, and fishstix, but it is the best way to fish the bow. I just don't like losing lures and flies on the bottom, especially when fish are jumping only yards away from me lol.

Just wondering, if my lure or nail with fly snags on the bottom, wouldn't a fish go for it and end up getting snagged on the bottom, eventually dying if they couldn't get unhooked?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorJerry View Post
Yeah, I'm seeing a nice parking spot right next to the water. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks!
parking spot[/URL]QUOTE]

Welcome to the Forum
nice to see some one that does some research aka homework.. many on here just say where's this, what’s that. ect..

That stretch of the bow at this time of the year is good, sept and oct reel good for Whitefish. Panther Matins work well.

If you want a nice day fishing for Walleye or maybe the occasional Pike, (read my tagline) go to PCR (Pine Coulee Reservoir) and you can shore fish, off the dock,
Jigs tipped with ¼” smelts or frozen minnow work reel well.

good luck to you.
RHF
Old 08-11-2010, 11:33 PM

If you see people fishing with bait you should call it in as there is no bait allowed right now.

Also, it was mentioned on here about September and October being good up there, keep in mind that stretch is closed in October and Novemer. Just a heads up.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:09 AM

welcome sailorjerry, hope you have some more luck on the bow
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
If you see people fishing with bait you should call it in as there is no bait allowed right now.
Really? Not even mealworms? I'm not for getting anyone in trouble but if they were catching fish left and right, I'd probably let jealously get the better of me, not that I know who to call anyway. Got a number?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:09 AM

Well mealworms are bait and bait is not allowed. Call report a poacher, 1-800-642-3800. It's not about getting people in trouble, it's about respect and caring for our fisheries.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:22 AM

fishpro is exactly right. The only bait allowed is maggots for a specific time period in september, for whitefish harvest. Unless that's changed....

Also, no smelly plastics or powerbaits of any kind.