Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2016, 01:30 PM

3rd time out was the charm for this guy. One lonely spruce grouse. Fried him up and was delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 01:42 PM

The problem is we will continue in a circular debate until more definitive information is provided. The regs do not state one way or another whether the possession includes primary residence. To summarize my position, because the numbers at your home are unverifiable, it makes the reg practically unenforceable to include them, and is likely part of the reason the fishing regulations specifically mention it (to not include it). Until there is more solid information on birds (old regs maybe, reg from another province, legal case) we can't resolve the differing interpretations.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:51 PM

Birds regs have Nothing to do with gush regs as I stated earlier .
Everything in your freezer , in your truck/ on your person counts.
But if you want to push the point simply ask the F&W they will tell you exactly the same thing
Like Mysrlf and several others keep saying , daily limit counts as part of your possession limit .
Cat
Old 10-15-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
The problem is we will continue in a circular debate until more definitive information is provided. The regs do not state one way or another whether the possession includes primary residence. To summarize my position, because the numbers at your home are unverifiable, it makes the reg practically unenforceable to include them, and is likely part of the reason the fishing regulations specifically mention it (to not include it). Until there is more solid information on birds (old regs maybe, reg from another province, legal case) we can't resolve the differing interpretations.
The number of birds in your residence is not unverifiable. I was speaking with the local warden, who lives in my neighborhood, and he mentioned that this year he was going to be spending some time monitoring the pheasant release sites because there were complaints of some people shooting a limit, taking them home, and then returning the same day to shoot another limit. He told me that he would be observing the parking areas to see if the same people were taking pheasants from the site and then returning later to hunt again. He specifically mentioned that if he observed this happening, he would be showing up at the person's residence with a search warrant, and then counting up the birds looking for more than a limit of freshly killed birds, as well as people that had more than their possession limit in their residence.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:04 PM

Took this one last Monday with my 12 ga I have never seen a grouse with fat on it like this one. It was a thick layer of yellow fat like a duck when I dressed it. Made me wish I had plucked it instead of breasting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161010_142417.jpg (191.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 10-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agree. But I'm biased as I have a working lab and not a field trial dog
Quote:
If you look at my first post, I go over why I think the old birds at your primary residence do not count towards your possession limit.

You obviously believe that they do.

It is NOT stated in the hunting regs whether or not the possession limit includes them. I think it should stated explicitly, like the federal fishing regs, until it is there is no correct answer (if there is no statute then one has to look at case law and analogous situations... in which case I would follow the fishing regs as analogous).

In fairness your first post in this thread has nothing to do with limits or interpretation of rule. It was a comment directed to post#45.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
The regs DO state very clearly that your primary residence is included for items in your possession.

From the Wildlife Act

"(3) For the purposes of this Act,
(a) a person has a thing in the person’s possession when the person has it in the person’s personal possession or knowingly
(i) has it in the actual possession or custody of another person, or
(ii) has it in any place, whether or not that place belongs to or is occupied by the person, for the use or benefit of the person or of another person, and
(b) when one of 2 or more persons, with the knowledge and consent of the rest has anything in the person’s custody or possession, it is deemed to be in the possession of each and all of them."

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-15-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
3rd time out was the charm for this guy. One lonely spruce grouse. Fried him up and was delicious

I like the looks of the Shotgun , what is it?
Old 10-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I like the looks of the Shotgun , what is it?

Thanks! Stoeger Condor 12g. 20" barrels I think. I like the short barrels for upland

Old 10-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The regs DO state very clearly that your primary residence is included for items in your possession.

From the Wildlife Act

"(3) For the purposes of this Act,
(a) a person has a thing in the person’s possession when the person has it in the person’s personal possession or knowingly
(i) has it in the actual possession or custody of another person, or
(ii) has it in any place, whether or not that place belongs to or is occupied by the person, for the use or benefit of the person or of another person, and
(b) when one of 2 or more persons, with the knowledge and consent of the rest has anything in the person’s custody or possession, it is deemed to be in the possession of each and all of them."
A real and substantial answer that I can look into (finally).

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:01 PM

Your arguing Provincial Regs vs Federal Regs, Fish vs. Birds is kinda Apples and Oranges. Federal fishing rules are for federal fish species mostly salt water and some migratory populations like steelhead and migrating salmon when they are fished in rivers. Non Migratory freshwater fish such as walleye and northern pike, landlocked trout populations fall under provincial Regulations which limit your posession limit be it at the lake, or while transporting them, or what you have at home. Try explaining to a warden how come you have 100 rainbow trout in your freezer at your residence that you caught 5 a day for 20 days at the local trout pond somewhere. Your trying to say its ok to have 50 in the freezer, 10 in the smoker at home, five in your fish basket you caught today and five in the cooler in your camper at the campground that you caught yesterday and your going to take them home and put them in your freezer which according to you will make them cease to be part of your possession limit so you can go back tomorrow and do it again. .

It is the same for Migratory game birds which are under federal regulations. If you read the regulations you can shoot 50 Snow geese a day with no possession limit. You can shoot 8 Canada geese but can only possess 24. Now if you could possess more then the possession limit of 24 then they would say there is no possession limit like they do for Snow geese.

Non Migratory Game Birds are under Provincial regulations in which provincial regulations limit the possession to total possession be it at home, in the camper or in the game pouch in your jacket all combined. If there were no possession limit they would say no possession limit, when they say there is a possession limit that means once you reach that limit you are not allowed to possess anymore. If you went camping for 7 days and shot 5 grouse a day for those 7 days and froze the birds in your campers freezer and the warden comes along try explaining to the warden how it is your entitled to have 35 frozen grouse in your freezer. If you make a run to town every two days to put them in the freezer at home does not somehow make it legal.

Last edited by Bushrat; 10-15-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
Thanks! Stoeger Condor 12g. 20" barrels I think. I like the short barrels for upland

So do I, easy to maneuver in the bush
Old 10-15-2016, 03:41 PM

Default How many can I kill

Soon there will be tags for everything. Similar was happening with walleye, people would catch the limit, eat or freeze the fish then go catch more, now on several lakes tags are needed to keep walleye.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:08 PM

I think the moderators have been great in allowing this to run its course and so I won't post anymore on it.

I think most of us are aware of the different jurisdictions for fish and game management and now it should be quite clear that there are differences between what they define as in "possession". I thank the poster to referring us back to the pertinent section of Alberta's Wildlife Act (of which the hunting regs are but a watered down version).
Old 10-15-2016, 04:17 PM

There was nothing warrant the shutting down of the thread, people were being respectful of both the forum rules and t other members.
Cat
Old 10-15-2016, 04:26 PM

On the topic of grouse . I haven't seen much in the way of Spruce Grouse where I generally hunt in 339 .The Ruffies are always around (some years more than others ) but in the last 4yrs I have seen maybe 2 or 3 Spruce grouse.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:41 AM

First year hunting for me, had some success up here bagging a few late Sept but I've been out 4 times since the snow hit and haven't seen jack. Do they move further into the bush when it's cold and snowy? The prior success I've had them right near the tree line and coming out on the gravel road often, almost zero effort to find them, definitely not searching like now.

Feels frustrating but a walk in the woods is still better than the best day at work lol
Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 AM

In wet conditions and cloudy overcast weather they will be deeper in the woods under or in the spruce branches. They are like any animal and want to stay dry .I think they rely on seeing shadows of flying predators so when the sun isn't shinning they like to be under cover.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:14 PM

So, my inexperience showing here, places where I found a lot of them early in the season, will they return or should I head deeper in the bush to get more? I'm totally hooked on the grouse hunt, love it and have been bringing my kids along for the prior hunts, as we didn't have to go far off the roads to bag a few.

I think if I have to head into the bush more, I'll maybe leave the kids at home.

Thanks for everyone's information, this is all new to me but I'm loving it.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
So, my inexperience showing here, places where I found a lot of them early in the season, will they return or should I head deeper in the bush to get more? I'm totally hooked on the grouse hunt, love it and have been bringing my kids along for the prior hunts, as we didn't have to go far off the roads to bag a few.

I think if I have to head into the bush more, I'll maybe leave the kids at home.

No do not leave the kids at home, just go slower and keep a longer stringer on them.

If they enjoyed themselves on your first hunt add to the game bring a camera and take photos to keep it different. Pack a lunch bring an umbrella and extra socks. It is hunting its not always successful but you will be outdoors.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:10 AM

I would assume all the people that get 60 or so are sticking to bag and possession limits ... they are there there for a reason
Old 10-19-2016, 12:36 AM
Banned

Have you read the whole thread?

If you are questioning numbers, question or read what has been posted by the participants and question that comment and or participant not the thread.

Read post #97, it gives explanation of what you have eluded to.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter1964 View Post
I would assume all the people that get 60 or so are sticking to bag and possession limits ... they are there there for a reason
Thank you for the reminder. I am simple and assume we all try to follow rule.
I will never be able to speak or represent the others but I also hope they respect rule.

Fire.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:50 AM

Oldest kid is 10, youngest is 4, might not be something they're all able to do, so I'll likely only bring the oldest boy out for now, but we'll see how it goes. I really want to include them as much as possible, they all had great fun and made for some good father/kid time, even when we didn't get anything.

Thanks for the info, again I really do appreciate it, this forum has been nothing short of amazing, albeit expensive once I started feeling the need to "have" stuff.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 AM

Quote:

Lots of places to go. You might have thinned them out a little in the hot spots you found. Nothing wrong with getting down a little trail to pursue them. Go a little slower and they start to show up.

Quote:
Oldest kid is 10, youngest is 4, might not be something they're all able to do, so I'll likely only bring the oldest boy out for now, but we'll see how it goes. I really want to include them as much as possible, they all had great fun and made for some good father/kid time, even when we didn't get anything.

Thanks for the info, again I really do appreciate it, this forum has been nothing short of amazing, albeit expensive once I started feeling the need to "have" stuff.
Bring them all. It's still a good outing. When they are young, outings like that primes them for more serious outdoors pursuits and their own hunts when older.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:56 AM

It was a great Saturday for getting outside. My wife, brother in law and a couple friends went out quading with guns (our friends aren't hunters) in our favorite spot. We have had luck and scored several birds here the 2 times we have gone but Saturday was another world. Never before have we seen so many birds. Me and my brother in law have each limited before, but never at the same time. We bagged our 10 and saw at least 20 over and above.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:11 PM

The old man and I took ten ruffies yesterday. Unreal year for grouse.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:36 PM

Been doing well around north of Slave Lake. Not seeing as many groups but lots of singles.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:19 PM

Been years since I have hunted...hand loaded my 243 winchester. What is the current bag limit on Ruffed Grouse?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

If the link works download the hunting regulations or view them online, page 63 will give you direction.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...s/default.aspx

http://albertaregulations.ca