Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM

Wasn't me but my retired police detective grandfather. Who was about 6'1" 300+lbs was shot in the lower leg by his best friend and hunting partner of many years while hunting rabbits.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Twice I've been shot at in crown land. Once last year and 2 weeks ago.

Last year parked in our area where we hunt whitetail only truck in the cut out. Go do our walk along the cut line couple hours later on the way out about 800 yrds from the truck BOOM! Never heard a gun that loud, guess im use to standing behind them. All of us flipped out what ever orange we had and boom goes another shot. Started running down the cut line only to find a little party of people drinking beer and shooting targets set up right next to our truck. Not long after they were packed up and on there way in a quick hurry.

2 weeks ago again on a cut line, a guy with his sks plinking away. Had the shots hitting the noel infront of me on my way out. When i got around to him and asked him if he knew where he was shooting or what was around he says oh i was shooting into a hill(5 ft below cut line).

It is scary how many people dont know their target and beyond.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:50 PM

Hey Duramaximous,
So im on a hillside looking for game, my gun is across my lap maybe pointed in the valley you come up, so i spot you from my binos, if you see me i give you a wave in hopes you dont continue up the valley, if you dont i take a chance and be quiet, i know where you are so in my eyes your more dangerous if game pops out, regardless i have no need to pick up or touch my gun through the entire process, again why do i need to pick up my heavy .338 mag
Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 PM

Default Twice

First time we were goose hunting just inside the Quebec boarder north of Pettawawa we had pits and a spread of decoys. A taxi pulled up on the road near our spread and a Priest jumped out of the taxi and began firing at our decoys with a 30-30. It wasn't me that stood up and yelled!

The second time was duck hunting near shining tree (North of Sudbury) and my friends had dropped the dog and I off at our blind and left in the boat. I went to work in my waders putting out decoys. It was a very foggy morning.

I was in the blind when about 20 feet in front of me appeared a man in the front a canoe in a red outfit pointing his moose rifle right at me.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
First time we were goose hunting just inside the Quebec boarder north of Pettawawa we had pits and a spread of decoys. A taxi pulled up on the road near our spread and a Priest jumped out of the taxi and began firing at our decoys with a 30-30. It wasn't me that stood up and yelled!
This one takes the cake! Did you get an explanation?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:31 AM

I've gotten into the habit of ALWAYS using a flashlight to walk out at dusk/dark-thirty,wether I need it to see my way out or not!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:51 AM

The flash light need it or not is a good idea
Old 10-12-2016, 05:47 AM

If been scoped just outside of lesslievile from a guy in a big lifted jeep crushing cutlines you know who you are... Scope me again and I might just raise my glass and see what that shiny thing in the bush is. Don't scope others if you don't like being scoped yourself. Please invest in some binoculars
Old 10-12-2016, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

One thing I have done in areas of multiple hunters or hunting pressure is hang a orange toque or vest off a tree it gives people an indication a hunter may be present in that area as I sit 50 yards away in a blinde etc.
Not the complete answer but it is an ounce of prevention.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 AM
Banned

Just a few weeks ago I got a new picture for my avatar - X-ray image of my right knee.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Just a few weeks ago I got a new picture for my avatar - X-ray image of my right knee.
How bout a story to go with the new avitar pic.....?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:57 AM

Default Shot at

I have an old orange sweater I hang off a branch near but not directly over my spot. That should work for the half- wits, but stupid is unfixable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2016, 07:05 AM

I got scoped on a cut line in the early 90's up near Swan Hills. I was walking down hill on the line toward the road which was about 500 - 600 yards away. A truck drove past, then backed up. I glassed the truck and the driver had got out and was leaning over the hood with a rifle pointed at me. I held may rifle up in the air and frantically waved at the a-hole. He got back in the truck and drove away. I have worn blaze orange ever since.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM

I witnessed a fellow take a pellet or two in the face last year at a pheasant release site. This year I had pellets whizzing past me and another fellow twice from the same group of idiots in the field
Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Last fall I was scoped while sitting on a cutline in the saddle hills. This was in the morning and the numbskulls were in a sxs (not allowed in the morning for this zone). The crazy part was that they drove right past my vehicle that was parked at the start of the cutline and somehow didn't think that I would actually be on that cutline.

Had a young cousin hunting with me years ago. We were walking a cutline together side by side when his rifle went off into the ground 3 inches from my foot. He swore that the safety was on. It ended up being a "teachable moment" about carrying an empty chamber and not relying on a safety. It doesn't take that long to work the bolt and chamber a round!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-12-2016, 10:45 AM

This thread is living proof that there are idiots among us. I dare say some even reading this thread on the AO forum.

Pretty simple: Identify your target (with binos or spotting scope)and ensure its safe to proceed. Know whats behind your target as well i.e. skylined game could pose a problem.
If you miss a shot at an animal because you had to glass it first, so be it. Way too many posts on here leads me to believe this is not a small problem.

Nobody is exempt. Period. I was truly terrified last year when those rifles swung my direction. Leaving a widow with 4 kids behind because someone cant bother draggin out their proper optics is incomprehensible.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ray View Post
I witnessed a fellow take a pellet or two in the face last year at a pheasant release site. This year I had pellets whizzing past me and another fellow twice from the same group of idiots in the field
who hasn't had pellets rained on them at the pheasant sites? those places are the worst
Old 10-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
How bout a story to go with the new avitar pic.....?
I got shot 1 km west of Shell Gas plant (burnt timber road) on Aug 23 while hiking/picking mushrooms on crown land by some haywire recreational shooter.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Default gopher hunters

Was out doing chores on the off road side of a hill in the early spring. A city slicker had decided to by his son and a buddy new 10-22's and took a drive in the country until he found some gophers. Luckily we were able to drive away farther then come up beside him. Whole family was on the back side of the hill. could have got ugly

Buddy was charged and lost his gun license.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
One thing I have done in areas of multiple hunters or hunting pressure is hang a orange toque or vest off a tree it gives people an indication a hunter may be present in that area as I sit 50 yards away in a blinde etc.
Not the complete answer but it is an ounce of prevention.
That's not a bad idea about the toque/hunters orange. I haven't done much still hunting, but is a good idea for the next time I do.

I need to buy some binoculars. I usually use my rangefinder, or my bro-in-laws binoculars but really need to get my own. Haven't scoped anybody yet, or been scoped but would be foolish to wait until it happens.

Recommendations for good value binoculars?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:53 PM

My Granddad was shot and killed by his best friend while hunting when I was 10. So I take gun handling and hunting very serious and with the out most respect . I'm glad my granddad & father were great outdoors men and passed along their knowledge. The hunting community has changed drastically in the last few years and I'm very surprised that there hasn't been more hunting related deaths with the new ways of hunting going on .
Old 10-12-2016, 11:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck yote View Post
My Granddad was shot and killed by his best friend while hunting when I was 10. So I take gun handling and hunting very serious and with the out most respect . I'm glad my granddad & father were great outdoors men and passed along their knowledge. The hunting community has changed drastically in the last few years and I'm very surprised that there hasn't been more hunting related deaths with the new ways of hunting going on .
Sorry to hear, hunting is not a video game where you get multiple life's, take things seriously cause you can never take back a bullet.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 AM

Default shot at...

Local resident to me was shot at and hit in the leg while sitting on his bright red atv near Pink Mountain a few years ago.

dailyheraldtribune.com/2012/10/17/trio-of-hunting-accidents-in-western-canada-concerning

And here are the comments on AO from the time as well.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archi.../t-152735.html

Blaze Orange doesnt mean much out there ....
Rob
Old 10-13-2016, 09:39 AM

I was scouting a pipeline route and well location in the Saddle Hills over 12 years ago. Was on my quad driving up a small slope when shots galore rang out. Bullets whizzed by, jumped off the quad and hit the bush. So scary. I didn't know what to do, felt like I was in the war...sigh, just hunkered down behind the trees off the trail. I assume on the other side of the rise was a moose or Elk.....friggin knobs. When it settled down, I got the hell out of there.
Learn the 10 commandments of firearm safety.....
Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 AM

Shot a friend with my water pistol. He never went down. To this day my only regret, not enough pressure.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

I was elk hunting with a bow, chirping because I figured it was safer, I called in a hunter with a rifle, when I noticed him 200 yard away, I stopped calling, when he noticed me at about 20 yards away, he pointed his rifle at me to see what I was, I then whistled. He went up to him and asked him what he was hunting? He said cow elk and I had him tricked. So don't assume chirping is safe, it's what I always thought, until that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

The second time was duck hunting near shining tree (North of Sudbury) and my friends had dropped the dog and I off at our blind and left in the boat. I went to work in my waders putting out decoys. It was a very foggy morning.

I was in the blind when about 20 feet in front of me appeared a man in the front a canoe in a red outfit pointing his moose rifle right at me.
I didn't get shot at but almost got ran over. I was waterfowling on private land with permission from the landowner who said "definitely, get those bastards off my barley". I setup my decoys, brushed in the layout blinds and just waited for the them to arrive. I look to my left and see a truck entering the field and thought damn, he must have given other people permission too. The guy in the truck slowly makes his way toward me and I was thinking WTF? Then pins it coming right at me full speed I sit up and start waving and the guy stops short of me. He gets out and I see it was the landowner, he says "damn, those decoys look so real I thought they were geese in my field again". So now I know there's brushed in, then there's almost runover brushed in..
Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I have bullet holes in both of my Quonsets from morons. I've never had bullets whiz over my head
Reminds me of a Rancher I know around Shuler...

I have a bullet stripe on my left shoulder (it was an intentional shot - there is no way in hell that fellow thought I was anything but a Two-Legs).

And I've had many occasions where bullets have zipped by overhead.

Certainly made me more than aware of what other "hunters" are up to anywhere near me!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Me and a buddy had a bozo fire two rounds at us at dawn a few years back. We were walking single file across a pasture and I guess from a distance we looked like one mass with 4 legs. We turned on our headlamps after the second shot and the guy got back in his truck and peeled out the road allowance. Never did figure who it was. That SNAP over your head isn't pleasant.
Especially when its "blue on blue"
Old 10-20-2016, 09:27 PM

Default There are some morons out there

Been hunting the same area south of debolt for many years. Had one group of young fellas who used to think it was funny to shoot over people's heads as they passed by their camp after dark on atvs....I never saw the humour in it. They even visited near our camp one year to let some bullets fly from the main pipeline, again after dark. Those valleyview neighbours had lost our respect already, guess they wanted to seal the deal
Another group of older gentlemen who are also "camp neighbours" only a few miles distant had one fellow who scoped my dad and I as we drive the sbs towards him. I guess we must have looked like a moose or something from 200 yards away...darned Polaris is too quiet I guess that was three years ago...I let it go since he was in his mid seventies and though he should've know better, maybe his eyes were starting to go and his fixed income didn't afford him the resources to buy binos, right?
Same moron drove his quad in on us and screwed up a very good elk encounter this fall....at 8:30 in the morning. I didn't let that one go.