Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkamaholic View Post
Been hunting the same area south of debolt for many years. Had one group of young fellas who used to think it was funny to shoot over people's heads as they passed by their camp after dark on atvs....I never saw the humour in it. They even visited near our camp one year to let some bullets fly from the main pipeline, again after dark. Those valleyview neighbours had lost our respect already, guess they wanted to seal the deal
Another group of older gentlemen who are also "camp neighbours" only a few miles distant had one fellow who scoped my dad and I as we drive the sbs towards him. I guess we must have looked like a moose or something from 200 yards away...darned Polaris is too quiet I guess that was three years ago...I let it go since he was in his mid seventies and though he should've know better, maybe his eyes were starting to go and his fixed income didn't afford him the resources to buy binos, right?
Same moron drove his quad in on us and screwed up a very good elk encounter this fall....at 8:30 in the morning. I didn't let that one go.
Was said moron trespassing?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:09 PM

Out coyote hunting 2 years ago. Our stand was on the side of a fair size valley. 2 yotes came in but held up about 300 yards back then started coming right up the peak of the hill. We where waiting for them to give us a backdrop before we shot them. Next thing, snap bang. Someone was shooting at them while they where walking the ridge top from about 5-600 yards away. I just instinctively slid down the hill I was on so I would be covered. Never found out where the shots came from or who it was. Scared the hell out of me and my bro. One round hit a fence post 3 ft from my brothers head...Orange hats ever since.. Hope that helps.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Was said moron trespassing?
Or in a wmu where there are restrictions concerning firearms being carried on atvs before noon on public land?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:06 PM

I've been shot "near" when I'm sure the hunters shooting didn't know I was there.
But I'll never forget as a kid, dad and I were deer hunting, stopped for lunch on the side of a forestry road in eastern Manitoba, a deer came out way down to our right, and the shooting down the road started.
We hit the deck and I remember practically burrowing into the ground.
It was scary....I'll never forget the "zzzziiippp" "zzziiiinng" kind of cracking sound the bullets made as they whizzed by. Almost like a ripping sound.

I'll never forget that sound, and I've never stopped on the side of the road in a hunting area since.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:04 AM

Haven't been shot at, but have been the idiot who forgot to unload the rifle. Was hunting with a buddy about 10 years ago, and as we were getting out of the truck to walk in to the blind I was pulling the rifle out of the case when it fired. One nice little hole straight through the floor of buddy's hunting vehicle and no damage to anything except the rifle case and our hearing momentarily. Since then, I always make sure the bolt is open and that it's unloaded when putting any rifle away, and that it's empty until I get to where I'm going to hunt. Like others have said, it doesn't take long to load and cycle the bolt on a rifle. Oh and I've always worn a pair of bino's to know what I'm looking at before picking up a rifle.
Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member Life Member
Old 10-23-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Or in a wmu where there are restrictions concerning firearms being carried on atvs before noon on public land?
Definitely, crown land in wmu with before noon limitation on atv use...apparently that only applies to the honest folks. Not the first time I've seen that one abused in the area.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:51 AM

A few years ago i parked my truck in 414 and hiked up into the hills and no sooner had I gotten into my spot and the valley starts ringing with gunfire. *******s had pulled up right next to my truck, set up targets and started blasting away. I had to do the biggest widest loop to get back so I could give them a piece of my mind. Response I got was "it's public land go somewhere else".

Now I hunt areas with very limited vehicle access and I don't have that problem.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
A few years ago i parked my truck in 414 and hiked up into the hills and no sooner had I gotten into my spot and the valley starts ringing with gunfire. *******s had pulled up right next to my truck, set up targets and started blasting away. I had to do the biggest widest loop to get back so I could give them a piece of my mind. Response I got was "it's public land go somewhere else".

Now I hunt areas with very limited vehicle access and I don't have that problem.
So the idiots knew very well that the occupants of the truck must be in the area, and they did not know where the people were, but they started shooting anyways. And that is another reason that more and more public areas will be closed to target shooting.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:49 PM

was walking down a frozen creek with my dog and had a landowner scoping me from the top of the bank 80 meters away. i grabbed the dog and dove behind cover. he yelled at me to come up there. i told him to put his rifle down. he was irate that iwas tresspassin. i calmly explained that as long as i am on the creek proper i am on public land. and that i would be more than happy to have the police come out to sort it out. he had no idea that deliberately scoping a person is against the law. moron.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Me and a buddy had a bozo fire two rounds at us at dawn a few years back. We were walking single file across a pasture and I guess from a distance we looked like one mass with 4 legs. We turned on our headlamps after the second shot and the guy got back in his truck and peeled out the road allowance. Never did figure who it was. That SNAP over your head isn't pleasant.
Never heard the SNAP..sure as heck heard the WHIZZZZZZZ going by
Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 PM

Default Shot at while goose hunting

A long time ago we were pitted in for a goose shoot by Camrose when we saw a truck stop on the road. Next thing we knew a rifle shot whizzed through our decoys and we ducked to the bottom of our pits. I guess when the idiot realized he was shooting at decoys he decided to burn out of there at Mach 9.
Scared the hell out of us.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 PM

1996, that was a BAAD year. Just before deer season opened, I was shooting late one afternoon at a range that used to be east of Airdrie. I was shooting handgun at 15 yds, and while I was occupied doing that, a truck had pulled in at the back of the range with three guys in it. My first indication they were there was seeing a round tear through the backstop 8 positions over, while I was hanging a target!

When I turned around shouting at them with a gun in my hand, they stopped shooting; all self righteous & indignant...they were just firing a couple rounds to make sure their guns were ready for deer season & figured I was far enough off to the side!! They left after I voluteered to demonstrate to them how unnerving it was to have a round impact about 40 feet away.

Fast forward a couple of months, we were going after elk northwest of Rocky Mountain house. Right on the edge of legal light, we were getting camp going; two tents up, fire going, one guy chopping wood, three others getting food out, setting up to cook dinner and two rounds ripped through our camp from the other side of the ravine. Everyone dove for cover, screaming at the top of our lungs, and after a third round, two guys in my party fired back in the general direction of where the gunfire was coming from. Brand new hunter, first time out, new gun, new everything really, shot at us and then was stupid enough to come across the ravine to apologize for "startling" us. STARTLING us!!! WTF????

We took his rifle...he was dangerous to have in the bush with a gun...and drove into town and turned the rifle over to the RCMP, with the genius in tow.

The black cloud hanging over my head stuck around for another year; the following year, my Dad & I went out after some grouse. We were walking along shelter belt near the farm where he grew up, and we were both hit by another hunter, shooting through the brush & toward the road. He never hunted again after that, and it took me five years before I did, either. There was something about digging #7 shot out of my leg & hip for months that kind of soured me on the whole idea.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:56 PM

Twice in 2015, I had bullets pass close enough that I heard the whistle. Both times in 406, and both times by morons who thought that alders provided a suitable backstop. Very glad that target shooting has now been forbidden in the area.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 AM

Cutlines and roads are designated shooting lanes. One year we set up camp in a clearing about 100 yards off a lease road. Me and my family had camped there before it seamed the perfect spot. One day we were in our wall tent breaking for lunch when we heard a shot very close to us. Some one shot a deer on the road about 150yards from our camp. Two guys gut the deer then loaded it in their truck and continued on as soon as they seen our camp they U turned it the hell out of there... From where they shot to where the deer was to where our camp was it would have been a perfect straight line, I think that the person that shot the deer didn't know that we were camped in the area. So moving forward I give it more thought to where to make camp, hang a reflective vest on a tree to to let folks know that there is some human activity in the area, do that as well when venturing down cutlines...