Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Default newbie - lake fishing near Calgary?

Hi everyone!
I have been reading this forum for a while - seems like a friendly and helpful place!!
I am new to Calgary - moved here from the deep South. There are so many rules and regs to fishing here - I bought my license and WIN card, have my gear ready - even a small "FishHunter" inflatable boat with a hard bottom and a nice little motor.

SO.....what I need now is info from the savvy fishermen who hang out here!
I'd like to try lake fishing near Calgary - somewhere I can try out my new boat and maybe camp as well. Catch and release is ok, but I'd like to fry up a few if that is possible....

I have some books and guides, but they are never a substitute for a good recommendation from the locals!!

thanks in advance for all your help!!

Kathe
Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Welcome to the forum. You didn't mention what you'd like to fish for and how far you'd like to travel.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM

If possible, I'd like to stay as close to the city as possible - couple hours drive or so.

What I'd like to fish for? Good question!! I'm not overly familiar with the northern species, so I'm open to anything!

Down South, I fished mostly for trout and bass - all on private stocked lakes and rivers.

I have been fly fishing a few times (my Dad runs fly fishing clinics in his neck of the woods) but I'd rather spin cast and try out my new little boat on the first few trips.

Kathe
Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Ok, world of options then, I'll stick to a few. Get a copy of the Barry Mitchell's fishing guide, available at the fishin hole or canadian tire, etc. In there there is a list of AB lakes with species and directions. Correspond that with your regs books for regulations.

If you want a fun time getting your feet wet, a good place to start for Walleye is Pine Coulee reservoir (PCR). There is a boat launch and easy fishing. Catch and release walleye but chance for pike as well. Basically you just need a jig head (1/8 oz - 1/2 oz) and fish anywhere on the drop off by the boat launch (so you dont have to go far) in about 12-20 FOW. Tip your jig head with a half minnow or smelt. Smelt is cheaper and can be purchased in bulk from superstore or T&T supermarket. Bounce that jig and minnow on the bottom in a jigging fashion and you should be able to pull them in one after another all day. MAP

Camping is available right at the boat launch or just a little futher down that road at willow creek provincial park.

Else, Little Bow provincial park has a nice campground. A boat launch and nice dock. Fishing is ok in the creek channel right there as well for pike and the odd walleye. Lots of walleye in the lake, not the best time of year for them in this area though. But you at least can keep them over 50 cm if you wish. Spoons or rapalas or buzz baits for the pike usually. MAP

For trout, you could try Chain Lakes west of Nanton. They stock it with 500000 rainbows so its easy fishing. Or Severn reservoir, also stocked. They have boat launches.

For fly fishing, fish the bow! Best river in the world they say, although I'm a walleye guy. Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM

It's a little farther to drive, but Beaver Mines Lake and Beauvais Lake down in the Pincher Creek area offer both decent fishing and good camp grounds, depending on what exactly you are looking for. These are stocked lakes so you can keep your dinner if you want to. The Castle and Crowsnest Rivers are also both in the area and are good for fishing, but more regulated.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM

There's a bunch of trout ponds if you head out west, some of them you can have boats on if I remember correctly, probably no motors allowed though.

My advice is to check barry mitchell's guide book. You can buy it at chapters or london drugs, most places that have fishing mags will have it. It will help you out alot in finding a good spot for your type of boat. Dickson trout pond I highly recommend, because by the sounds of it your boat is probably relatively small. And if you're in any way similar minded than me, you'll stay away from any lakes that are allowed anything other than an electric motor.

If you're willing to do any shore fishing in the city, there's a bunch of spots. The bow is obviously good. The elbow is hit and miss in the city section. The glenmore reservoir has northern pike, big browns and rainbows, mountain whitefish and some perch and burbot. Also, A trout pond within city limits. Send me a PM if you want any info regarding these places. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM

I enjoy going to Spray lakes by Canmore. The wind can really come up but if you stick to shore like I do (I also have an inflatable and trolling motor), you'll be fine.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Within 2 or 3 hours east of Calgary there are a lot of lakes, large and small to fish, Lots of pike, walleye and more.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-14-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
There's a bunch of trout ponds if you head out west, some of them you can have boats on if I remember correctly, probably no motors allowed though.

My advice is to check barry mitchell's guide book. You can buy it at chapters or london drugs, most places that have fishing mags will have it. It will help you out alot in finding a good spot for your type of boat. Dickson trout pond I highly recommend, because by the sounds of it your boat is probably relatively small. And if you're in any way similar minded than me, you'll stay away from any lakes that are allowed anything other than an electric motor.

If you're willing to do any shore fishing in the city, there's a bunch of spots. The bow is obviously good. The elbow is hit and miss in the city section. The glenmore reservoir has northern pike, big browns and rainbows, mountain whitefish and some perch and burbot. Also, A trout pond within city limits. Send me a PM if you want any info regarding these places. Welcome to the board.
would you be abe to tell me where this trout pond is?
Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 AM

There are a few trout ponds around. DeWitt's just north of Calgary but the last time I was there I only caught weeds (and lots of them).

Allen Bill and McLean creek ponds are just south west of Bragg Creek on Hwy 66 (we're going to Allen Bill today look for the yellow S-10). Some of the "lakes" inside Calgary are stocked but you usually need to live in the area to have access.

The regs book has a list of all the stocked ponds. You can also find them online at http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...ngReports.aspx. They also have a google map that shows all of them.

Hope this helps.