Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2016, 03:57 PM

Question Who's Line-X'd the outside of their truck to help with rock chips..

I was thinking of doing some line X on my truck to help prevent it from chipping from rocks.

Anyone done that and have pics?

Really interested to see chev trucks in the 07-13 range
Old 03-28-2016, 04:40 PM

I did the rocker panels on my jeep. Worked great. Now that I'm getting so many rock chips I'm thinking of doing the whole thing with Linex.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 PM

Have a buddy who did the rockers and wheel wells on his Silverado 2500. Truck is black and line x is black. Looks great and really cleans up the old rock chips
Old 03-28-2016, 06:37 PM

I have a 01 Ram I did rockers and wheel wells with linex back in o2, still look great and will handle any rocks you can throw at them.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:41 PM

I did the outside of a horse trailer a few years back. Not all the way but about 2' up the sides and underneath. Next truck I get will have the rocker panels line x'd in addition to the bed and bumpers. Great product!
Old 03-28-2016, 06:46 PM

Anyone have experience with the color matched line-x?

Want to do the rocker panels, fenders and bumpers on my Avalanche but not sure I like the thought of black line-x on my orange truck

If color match is good - may just do rockers and fenders, leave bumpers as is.

My main reason for doing it is paint chipping/flaking around all four fenders and I want to stop it from rusting/flaking any further. Really ticks me off I have paint missing above all 4 wheels on an otherwise good lucking truck.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 PM

There's lots of products on the market that are designed for resisting stone chips ... like Ventureshield or 3m.
Bedliner is called Bedliner for a reason... because it's Bedliner.
It's a PITA to keep clean, the tinted colors don't match and at the end of the day it looks like you sprayed Bedliner on your truck.
If you're bent on doing it, get a DYI kit and save some money... same result.

An reasonable alternative is take it to a body shop, paint it and carry on OR put the stone chip protection film on after its painted.

Resale value stays intact this solution too.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
There's lots of products on the market that are designed for resisting stone chips ... like Ventureshield or 3m.
Bedliner is called Bedliner for a reason... because it's Bedliner.
It's a PITA to keep clean, the tinted colors don't match and at the end of the day it looks like you sprayed Bedliner on your truck.
If you're bent on doing it, get a DYI kit and save some money... same result.

An reasonable alternative is take it to a body shop, paint it and carry on OR put the stone chip protection film on after its painted.

Resale value stays intact this solution too.
3m is more so a brand than a product.. they make hundreds of different applications now. Rock guard looks pretty good, and if ya dont like it dont look at it. All the black on my truck is a rockguard made by 3m.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
3m is more so a brand than a product.. they make hundreds of different applications now. Rock guard looks pretty good, and if ya dont like it dont look at it. All the black on my truck is a rockguard made by 3m.
Your point is lost on me... most folks realize 3M is a brand so not sure what you're trying to say...
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 PM

My biggest concern is the edge of the body where it wraps around into the wheel well...they get beat with rocks and start to rust. I'm wanting to prevent that...
Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post

Want to do the rocker panels, fenders and bumpers on my Avalanche but not sure I like the thought of black line-x on my orange truck

My main reason for doing it is paint chipping/flaking around all four fenders and I want to stop it from rusting/flaking any further. Really ticks me off I have paint missing above all 4 wheels on an otherwise good lucking truck.

I have a white truck and was going to get tidy truck in Lloydminster do my box white to match the truck. They talked me out of it as they had bad luck with it in the past. They said after some time it would start to yellow and look terrible. I went with black and haven't looked back. Still looks like new when I'm not lazy and scrub it.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I have a white truck and was going to get tidy truck in Lloydminster do my box white to match the truck. They talked me out of it as they had bad luck with it in the past. They said after some time it would start to yellow and look terrible. I went with black and haven't looked back. Still looks like new when I'm not lazy and scrub it.
if you want an easy way to make it look new spray some tire care stuff on it after washing it. Will make it look new again. I had my 07 gmc done in a color match and most people dont even notice it was done. The color matched well.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Your first sentence sounded like you were implying the product he needed is called 3m. So was just stating 3m is a brand not a product. That is all.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:43 PM

My son just did his bumpers and rims with a product called Plasi Dip.
Goes on like spray paint - drys like line x.
It looks pretty sharp he just did his 2015 GMC Sierrra.
There's a good video on you tube showing the product.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
My son just did his bumpers and rims with a product called Plasi Dip.
Goes on like spray paint - drys like line x.
It looks pretty sharp he just did his 2015 GMC Sierrra.
There's a good video on you tube showing the product.
Plasti dip is not nearly as durable as line x, not even in the same league. My buddy did his wheels with plasti dip and after a couple weeks from mud it was peeling off. Definitely more of a looks/short term solution.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 PM

Default line-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post

I did the color match line-x on a F350 dually fenders and has been on for 3 years no fade and no chips. works and looks good.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:04 PM

I had the metal lower front bumper done on my Dodge half ton. Line-X matched the colour wonderfully. It does look slightly different up close, due to the texturing. But I am very happy with the result. I'll try to wash the truck up tomorrow and post some pictures.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:37 AM

I did the bottom 5" all around my truck from the body line down with Durabak. Can't even notice it's there. You can spray or roll it on and it's smooth not gritty so it looks good unlike bedliner on the body and it's cheap too, about $60 to do it myself
Old 03-30-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
I had the metal lower front bumper done on my Dodge half ton. Line-X matched the colour wonderfully. It does look slightly different up close, due to the texturing. But I am very happy with the result. I'll try to wash the truck up tomorrow and post some pictures.
Would love to see some pics...
Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 PM

Hope these are ok, tough to tell 100% on my phone.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 PM

Thumbs up

Looks really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post

Hope these are ok, tough to tell 100% on my phone.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:08 PM

Maybe I could have shrunk the size a little. It's Line-X brand. Like I said, I am very happy with the results. The only downside is the cost, it was right around $500.00 for the bumper, and it was a new replacement in primer. I had been contemplating getting this done, had even got some pricing, when my truck was hit in the parking lot at work. There was enough damage to require the changing of the bumper panel. So when the replacement showed up, I took it to the Line-X place. With rock chips rusting the original, I would have had to have it sandblasted first. Not sure what the cost of that would have been, pretty sure I could have handled the removal and install myself though.