Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM

Default wood stove for a 12x16 cabin

I'm building a 12x16 hunting cabin this summer and was wondering what kind of wood stove to look for to heat it,I don't think it will have to be very big.I'm going to have 2x6 walls and well insulated.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
I'm building a 12x16 hunting cabin this summer and was wondering what kind of wood stove to look for to heat it,I don't think it will have to be very big.I'm going to have 2x6 walls and well insulated.
not too sure about the size of the stove itself,but a trick to remember that people seem to forget is to keep the chimney inside the cabin to the roof,I have seen people build very nice cabin's and run the chimney outsie from the back of the stove and it takes twice as much wood to heat it,alot of heat comes off a chimney especially if it's a metal one.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
not too sure about the size of the stove itself,but a trick to remember that people seem to forget is to keep the chimney inside the cabin to the roof,I have seen people build very nice cabin's and run the chimney outsie from the back of the stove and it takes twice as much wood to heat it,alot of heat comes off a chimney especially if it's a metal one.
x2
the heat from the chimney is often over looked..
Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 PM

One of those wall tent stoves is probly all you need . It wont hold much heat but if your well insulated in that small space i would doubt you would need any thing more.I have a 10 x 24 cabin on my place in Sask and last spring when we were there it froze hard enough to have a inch of ice on the dog dish and it was very comfortable in there with nothing but body heat and breath.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:09 PM

I agree with every said so far. I would also add that it may be a good idea to put two 90 degree elbow to lengnthen the pipe inside the cabin as to further increase the radiating effect. If you ever get the chace to visit Princess Auto, they sometime have wood burning stoves. The store in Red Deer had realy nice ones built from much heavier metal than the ones used in guiding tents. They came with a metal rod rack on top to cook off of and 10" of chimney pipe too. They wanted 120.00$ I thougt it was a good deal...and they look nice too!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Dont buy a airtight, go with a nice small regular wood stove with a frt door. I would get one with glass so you get the nice fire look. If your going to spend time there it will be a nice touch. The flat top makes for a good heating surface, water, baked potatoes etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Dont buy a airtight, go with a nice small regular wood stove with a frt door. I would get one with glass so you get the nice fire look. If your going to spend time there it will be a nice touch. The flat top makes for a good heating surface, water, baked potatoes etc.
x2. You don't need anything big or fancy. For about 500. you can buy a nice unit, on sale. Keep the insulated chimney to a minimum, cause that's what'll cost you. They used to make simple kits that suspended the chimney, from the ceiling, but I don't think they are available any more. you can get an insulated steel base to set it on, as well

Grizz
Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM

Another option to the wood stove is the old diesel space heater they used to use in houses. I found one at a yard sale and we used it this year in the wall tent. It was excellent,and would run full out for about 14 hrs straight on 2 gallons of fuel. no power required and a lot less work than a wood stove .A bit more expensive to run but if your not heating all the time, it is a good alternative. The other thing we really liked with the oil heater was the consistent heat,not super hot and then freezing cold in the middle of the night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0109 - Copy.JPG (41.3 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-25-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
I would also add that it may be a good idea to put two 90 degree elbow to lengnthen the pipe inside the cabin as to further increase the radiating effect.
I would not do this as it will increase your creosote build up and it will make cleaning it a pain in the azz.....It's nice to climb up and push everything into the fire box for cleaning.

The cabin you describe will not take much to heat if it is built well.

tm
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 PM

I've got a Pacific Energy airtight in my 16' x 24' cabin and it is way too much for the space - even a small fire overheats the place.
The only reason I put it in was I got it out of the Bargain Finder for a smokin deal. I'm also looking for something smaller and will move this stove to the new house I am building.

You can just barely see it in this pic

Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 PM

I put the smallest stove that I could find into my bunkhouse(12' x 12') and it is major overkill even on the coldest of nights.If memory serves me it is called the Maple Leaf(Fort Saskatchewan Canadian tire) I would go with a straight stove pipe for ease of cleaning and also recomend getting a glass door which this model does not have.