Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Yes, my desire is for the facts to come out, and to do what I can to ensure that happens.
You want the facts to come out so you start with malicious rumours and insult the individuals there at ground zero doing the best they can under extremely trying conditions.

Sad that crap like this is tolerated on this forum.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I heard that rumor this morning at Waterton Colony as well. I replied that I heard much the same rumor during the Granum fire of 1997 which was flat out BS. Ever wonder how far out in the prairie a burning ember blown off the top of a mountain by an 80-90 kph wind could land and start a fire. Embers in the Granum fire on flat land was lighting fires 500 metres ahead of the fire front.
Exactly what started happening with the Suffield fire by Hanna and Blindloss...This is all basically crop land but the wind is throwing the embers ahead of the original fire....
Old 09-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
You want the facts to come out so you start with malicious rumours and insult the individuals there at ground zero doing the best they can under extremely trying conditions.

Sad that crap like this is tolerated on this forum.
Give me a break. It is a legitimate question as there was a lot of talk of burning fuel prior to the fire coming down the akamina parkway. Nobody is insulting anyone.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Give me a break. It is a legitimate question as there was a lot of talk of burning fuel prior to the fire coming down the akamina parkway. Nobody is insulting anyone.
Really? From the OP. Brings about a whole new meaning to the word, STUPID!!!!!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
From the article,

It is obvious we need a horse ban.

An outright ban? Can't we just restrict the use of metal horseshoes to federal government approved trails? Horses can go barefoot everywhere else...
Old 09-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Really? From the OP. Brings about a whole new meaning to the word, STUPID!!!!!!
If the fire was accelerated as a result of poor decision making, then yes that is stupid. I wouldn't say it is insulting.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:24 PM

The complete lack of communication is what is astounding. I live in the area. I have family and friends that have been directly impacted and too a man the one thing they lack is communication. Any information that is getting out is from leaks. People can't prepare for what is coming or not coming. People can't even be told if they still have a home or not.

In this day and age I can't wrap my head around that.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 PM

Default My point is

There's a time and a place for criticisms.

Now is not the time. Period.

We here should know better and show some class.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
If the fire was accelerated as a result of poor decision making, then yes that is stupid. I wouldn't say it is insulting.
Second guessers and keyboard warriors are out in full flight. And yet no one has facts.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Second guessers and keyboard warriors are out in full flight. And yet no one has facts.
Yes, we should stop all discussions for fear of having misleading/incorrect facts.

OP states, "if this is true"

My take on the OP is that he is probing to see if anyone else has information that would back up what he heard.

You could say, "yes, I heard that as well", or "no, I didn't hear anything like that".
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
If they had been allowed to do more strip logging like the Star Creek research site on the B.C. side this fire might have been stopped before it became a beast. All those conservation groups who tell us controlled burning is the way to go in the future should look at the Waterton fire and rethink their theories.
Oh come on. Using an emergency to first smear federal staff and now claiming its because of too much conservation. Give your head a shake.

They'll be plenty of time to speculate the cause, the contributing factors, and why BC has just had its biggest fire season ever, but it's pretty bad taste to try and score political points while people are out of their homes and some are losing them.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, we should stop all discussions for fear of having misleading/incorrect facts.

OP states, "if this is true"

My take on the OP is that he is probing to see if anyone else has information that would back up what he heard.

You could say, "yes, I heard that as well", or "no, I didn't hear anything like that".
Carry on, I'll wait until some facts come out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 PM

There was a bunch of tankers, equipment, fire trucks, and men sitting in mountain view all night from 1am on waiting for directions. Didn't get moving until late morning. They did an awesome job in the townsite, but too bad these other resources weren't used.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

X2
Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of people that would love the facts. They don't care about who or what started this or that, but they would like to know where it is exactly.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The complete lack of communication is what is astounding. I live in the area. I have family and friends that have been directly impacted and too a man the one thing they lack is communication. Any information that is getting out is from leaks. People can't prepare for what is coming or not coming. People can't even be told if they still have a home or not.

In this day and age I can't wrap my head around that.
We were at our cabin in Montana when the fire started at Gibhaltra and it is amazing the daily updates and mapping on my facebook page. That is one organized State they have..... Communication to everyone is unbelievable.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

X3

And these fires and conditions happen. These are once every 100 year events! Pointing fingers and insults aren't going to change or dole a GD thing.

BW
Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post
Oh come on. Using an emergency to first smear federal staff and now claiming its because of too much conservation. Give your head a shake.

They'll be plenty of time to speculate the cause, the contributing factors, and why BC has just had its biggest fire season ever, but it's pretty bad taste to try and score political points while people are out of their homes and some are losing them.
nothing political about it just speaking the truth as I see it.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
We were at our cabin in Montana when the fire started at Gibhaltra and it is amazing the daily updates and mapping on my facebook page. That is one organized State they have..... Communication to everyone is unbelievable.
We have a cabin under an Evacuation Order in the East Kootenays and the communication by the East Kootenay Regional District and BCWildfire is awesome. Daily Status Updates - sometimes multiple updates when things are changing, along with a detailed, DAILY joint YouTube video with the Regional District Communications Officer and the Chief BCWildfire boss. - complete with maps and detailed explanations on fire fighting strategy. Also emails to every evacuee who has registered with them. Terrific communications.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
We have a cabin under an Evacuation Order in the East Kootenays and the communication by the East Kootenay Regional District and BCWildfire is awesome. Daily Status Updates - sometimes multiple updates when things are changing, along with a detailed, DAILY joint YouTube video with the Regional District Communications Officer and the Chief BCWildfire boss. - complete with maps and detailed explanations on fire fighting strategy. Also emails to every evacuee who has registered with them. Terrific communications.
Not even close to the same here.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I read that they have closed the schools in Elkford is that because of the fire in the Bull River?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I read that they have closed the schools in Elkford is that because of the fire in the Bull River?
The quinn creek fire is now burning in the brule creek drainage which is a tributary to the Elk river north of sparwood. The fire now has a straight east shot down the brule valley to the elk- timbered almost the entire way to hwy43.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There are a lot of people that would love the facts. They don't care about who or what started this or that, but they would like to know where it is exactly.
One of the best information systems I have seen is modus fire detection. Google it, go to the site and pick mapping in google earth click the link on "current" for modus. It will open in google earth, and show you fire detection mapping. The points are updated every few hours as the satelites pass over. Its not exact, but it gives a good idea.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is not fact, but is the story on the ground from farmers/ranchers battling the fire.

Sounds like some really, really smart Parks Canada people tried a controlled burn yesterday, this is unofficial but what locals are saying.

An uncontrolled burn in tinder box dry condition with a very strong west wind, right next to sections upon sections of tinder box dry, tall dead prairie grass

If this is true; Brings about a whole new meaning to the word, STUPID!!!!!!!

Numerous ranches lost. One in existense 160 years

100 horses dead on one ranch, many cattle herds burned to death.

Locals up all night pushing cattle down to the river in hopes of cows saving themselves when the flames come thru.

Red ash raining down from the fire great distances from the burn.

It's an unbelievable mess.

One plus... there is an army of men in black and many others on the ground battling the fire and moving very expensive farm equipment away.
On the news they are saying it was military planes taking off and landing under unsafe conditions that caused the fire's.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 PM

Whatever started it here's hoping the moisture and cooler temps that we seem to be getting in southern Alberta gets it under control. It looks like on the map I saw that literally half waterton park is burned, hopefully that isn't the case. It if it is it looks like waterton may be returning to a more open grassland mountain range.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Whatever started it here's hoping the moisture and cooler temps that we seem to be getting in southern Alberta gets it under control. It looks like on the map I saw that literally half waterton park is burned, hopefully that isn't the case. It if it is it looks like waterton may be returning to a more open grassland mountain range.
The last map of the fire I saw shows what looks like more than half the park has burned and heading east. Looks like it is into the Font creek valley and on Sage mountain in the Westcastle now as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
This is not fact, but is the story on the ground from farmers/ranchers battling the fire.

Sounds like some really, really smart Parks Canada people tried a controlled burn yesterday, this is unofficial but what locals are saying.

An uncontrolled burn in tinder box dry condition with a very strong west wind, right next to sections upon sections of tinder box dry, tall dead prairie grass

If this is true; Brings about a whole new meaning to the word, STUPID!!!!!!!

Numerous ranches lost. One in existense 160 years

100 horses dead on one ranch, many cattle herds burned to death.

Locals up all night pushing cattle down to the river in hopes of cows saving themselves when the flames come thru.

Red ash raining down from the fire great distances from the burn.

It's an unbelievable mess.

One plus... there is an army of men in black and many others on the ground battling the fire and moving very expensive farm equipment away.
This is wrong , it was not a controlled burn gone wrong . It was the original fire roaring down two valleys in perfect conditions. Parks did all they could but this fire just slapped them in the face. I know , I'm one of the people who ran from it in the middle of the night not knowing what I would return to. Yesterday was spent rounding up stray livestock, because fences were cut to save them . Ranchers who slipped behind RCMP barricades fought fire all day on their own , because our MD wouldn't send help or water trucks to put out large spot fires still threatening a major ranch. RCMP won't let us in , MD gives no help , we feel helpless and alone out there.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
The last map of the fire I saw shows what looks like more than half the park has burned and heading east. Looks like it is into the Font creek valley and on Sage mountain in the Westcastle now as well.
Is Sage mountain not in the south castle?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:43 AM

I actually don't think anything in the original post is accurate.

-Billy Molls