Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Default Jiffy Propane Ice auger

Any reviews on the Jiffy Propane powered auger?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm wondering the same thing....is it worth the $200 more than a regular 8" auger?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=propane+auger

this was a while back.

hope it helps

orv.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM

I love my gas auger but would probabley buy a propane
for a few hundred more. Just for the cleanliness and ease
of storage . They get kinda of finicky after a few years and
from storing them dry etc. From what I have read on the web.....
its the way to go !!!

and besides.... Hank Hill cant be all wrong !!

GO Propane and Propane accessories !!!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM

From the manual:

8. Important – If the engine does not start due to extremely cold temperature, replace propane tank with one that has been stored in a warm environment or temporarily move ice drill to a warmer location.

From Q&A:

Jiffy designed a high pressure fuel delivery system exclusively for cold weather applications. The factory testing facility tests all drills down to -20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Looks like some borderline rating, I did fish at -29C last year...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM

You wont find many, if any reviews here.

Gotta check the stateside forums...ie ice shany, IDO fishing, and the Minnesota forums. Lots of good info there...
Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 PM

I bought one today so I will keep you posted
Old 11-13-2011, 04:42 AM

Good luck with it. I think you will need it on those cold days. I will stick to high octain gas myself.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 AM

Not sure why the cold will matter, I can BBQ and start the heater on those same cold days
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
Not sure why the cold will matter, I can BBQ and start the heater on those same cold days
When you are BBQing or running heater you are basically working with open flame. When running an auger you are running a gas that has to be compressed and then ignited with a spark. Because the tank is cold the gas in the tank has already lost some pressure and has more liquid then gas so it is already harder to ignite. Have heard a lot of problems with starting in cold weather so always keep an extra full tank and try to keep it warm if posable. Had a buddy that kept one in a small cooler with a hand warmer in it. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM

It's still a compressed gas until it ignites... Basically the same principle
Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Trucks that run on propane have a vaporizer to help turn that liquid propane into gas, have heard of a few people starting problems in the cold some times and they had to poor warm water on the vaporizer to help start on those realy cold days. I think if its -10 or warmer there will no problem but any colder I think it will be hard starting. Good luck and hope your not disappointed. Maybe someone has one and make a report on it.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:30 PM

I will be more than happy to post a report if the weather actually gets cold, cause I can't wait to use it!!... It started up yesterday first pull and i have seen numerous footage on youtube suggesting the same.. The owners manual says in extreme cold to have the bottles in warmer conditions, so thats all I can hope for... All I know is we have a 15 year old Jiffy 30 series that really hates starting in the cold and I became tired of it's issues... Plus, mixing gas, pouring gas, spilling gas...
Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 PM

I took this off the Jiffy website in the Q & A

Jiffy designed a high pressure fuel delivery system exclusively for cold weather applications. The factory testing facility tests all drills down to -20 degrees Fahrenheit. Per the National Institute of Standards and Technology, propane will remain in a usable state down to -44 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
I took this off the Jiffy website in the Q & A

Jiffy designed a high pressure fuel delivery system exclusively for cold weather applications. The factory testing facility tests all drills down to -20 degrees Fahrenheit. Per the National Institute of Standards and Technology, propane will remain in a usable state down to -44 degrees Fahrenheit.
Well hopefully they have resolved the problems of earlier units. Keep us informed. I have a jiffy gas that like you said is a bugger to start and keep running so last year I bought a jiffy electric no gas, no fumes if you drill in the shack and light weight.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM

That old Jiffy drove me nuts... As long as it wasn't cold out, it would start and work like a charm... Soon as the temp went below -20, I swear it was trying to kill me..... I thought about the electric one, but this one called out to me
Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 PM

I am also trying to decide on a new auger this year, I was thinking either the 10" electric or the 10" propane....I can't find any reviews on the 10" electric though...
Old 11-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I am also trying to decide on a new auger this year, I was thinking either the 10" electric or the 10" propane....I can't find any reviews on the 10" electric though...
The electric chews through ice like crazy but if you drill lots of holes per day you need to bring a battery with you I use a 6" with a battery drill early after that i always either have my truck or quad so batteries for electric is no problem
Old 11-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Can you gents please let me know what is wrong with regular old gasoline? It's cheaper, more reliable! All I'm hearing is "it's good... But..." and "as long as?" more money and more problems it would seem.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM

As I stated earlier, my old gasoline Jiffy worked like crap once it was cold... Now no more hassle with priming, choking, mixing, spilling, stinking etc.... Propane is a cleaner burn than gas, plus it's a 4 stroke.. I will reserve judgement on it until I have an issue with it.. I have zero reason to believe it won't work once it is cold
Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Default that's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Trucks that run on propane have a vaporizer to help turn that liquid propane into gas, have heard of a few people starting problems in the cold some times and they had to poor warm water on the vaporizer to help start on those realy cold days. I think if its -10 or warmer there will no problem but any colder I think it will be hard starting. Good luck and hope your not disappointed. Maybe someone has one and make a report on it.
Have a Ford on straight propane. True, when it is below -20 it is kind of a one shot deal. If it doesn't fire, I can unhook the feed line (from the vaporizer), turn the engine over and purge with fresh air. Hook it back up and you are good to go for round two. Keep in mind this is a gas engine converted to propane, an engine built specifically to run propane would probably start much better (right compression, etc). The other thing, it doesn't take much heat to "warm" the propane and get things flowing. Just my 0.02
Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Talking

Iagree with M knuckle ,jeffy gas rules in my books ,i prefer propane nothing ,lanterns ,stoves ,now ice augers, what a joke.Just my to cents
Old 11-13-2011, 04:57 PM

I Bought the 10 inch propane model and used it all last winter. Worked great and started no problem in -25 celcius 2 pulls starts every time. The only trouble I had was in the spring the line from the propane regulator to the carb cracked because it is a really weak alloy. Upgraded it with 1/4 inch tubing and swedgelock fittings so I should never have that problem again. Overall season #1 with it was good to me.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Can you gents please let me know what is wrong with regular old gasoline? It's cheaper, more reliable! All I'm hearing is "it's good... But..." and "as long as?" more money and more problems it would seem.
Along with the issues of dealing with traditional liquid fuel, propane is very clean burning. Therfore, less stinky emissions (two stroke), oil stays cleaner and the engine lasts longer overall. It may however, be difficult to borrow some fuel on the ice should you run out...

Last edited by Mayhem; 11-13-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Well GWW, looks like you also prefer poor grammer... I most certainly appreciate your open mindedness... My two cents
Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
1 wanted to get of gas smell in truck.
2 wanted to get away from hard starting
3 wanted to get away from gas and oil smell in shack
4 wanted lighter weight.
so I'm very happy
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Along with the issues of dealing with traditional liquid fuel, propane is very clean burning. Therfore, less stinky emissions (two stroke), oil stays cleaner and the engine lasts longer overall. It may however, be difficult to borrow some fuel on the ice should you run out...
What issues? Keep a gallon of mixed fuel in the garage or in the truck zero issues in cold temperatures. Clean burning, got me there I suppose however I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't love that 2 stroke smoke! As far a longer lasting engine? Prove it. I call BS on that if propane engines were so good I'd like to think there would be alot more of them. So if a cleaner burn is what your looking for the. By all means drop a couple hundred extra! When it's -30 and you need a hole drilled by all means I'll lend you my GAS 10" and you can drill away. Really I'm not trying to give you guys a hard time but honestly read the posts and tell me how many have a "the only thong is" in them. I bought mine so I could take it out add gas and go!!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
What issues? Keep a gallon of mixed fuel in the garage or in the truck zero issues in cold temperatures. Clean burning, got me there I suppose however I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't love that 2 stroke smoke! As far a longer lasting engine? Prove it. I call BS on that if propane engines were so good I'd like to think there would be alot more of them. So if a cleaner burn is what your looking for the. By all means drop a couple hundred extra! When it's -30 and you need a hole drilled by all means I'll lend you my GAS 10" and you can drill away. Really I'm not trying to give you guys a hard time but honestly read the posts and tell me how many have a "the only thong is" in them. I bought mine so I could take it out add gas and go!!
thats why I went electric 10" no problem the truck is there I can drill 1000 hole if need be
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
thats why I went electric 10" no problem
I'll give you that. Especially if it's a matter of carbon footprints!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Me thinks we should have a drill off to settle this ! Winner takes all and has bragging rights for the winter lol. It really does not matter what you use to drill a hole in the ice be it gas, electric, or propane as long as it is reliable and makes hole ! The propane model works like a hot dam so that is all I need to know. To each his own.