Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 PM

This is a prime example of why officers get a bad rep instead of being a dick about the situation your friend should have told him that there is no proof of him fishing thus rendering the officers request retoricle because no proof no answer simple as that. As long as you know everything your doing is legal feel free to treat them the way they treat you.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 PM

You blew it when your buddie didnt produce his licence when asked. When a CO asks for your licence you give it to him! ur buddie putting his back up and refusing is a PUNK move and u deserved everything you got.

If I was a CO and u pulled that on me I would have tore you and your buddy apart and wrote you paperwork until you cried.

Smarten up and dont be a punk and you wont get treated like one!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoUCWhatIC View Post
That is exactly what I am saying. Up until very recently COs and F&W weren't even in the same government department. COs work in Parks, F&W work in the rest of the Province.

Sorry, Game Wardens are the common term for F&W. Probably shouldn't have used that term, likely added to the confusion.

Nope, I wasn't there. I think you missed my point. I made the comment because some were using COs and F&W to mean the same thing. They are not the same, thats all!
OK cool and thanks for the clarification, i was confused as to what you were getting at.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM

I respect everybody's opinion in the matter, I'm not a person to argue over who was right, who was wrong. I clearly admitted that it was totally my fault with the generator, which like I said was not called in because of how quick they were there. For that, they did their job, as for asking for the Licence..the other officer clearly admitted they were in the wrong and could not ask for the Licence. The biggest p*ss off of the whole weekend was the phone calls accusing us of not paying for the campsite, I guess I should've clarified on that better. When we arrived that night, we paid for both nights. So why should we have our cellphone numbers looked up in the system and get told we are being charged when they didn't even check both boxes in the campsite? Where is the line showing certain campsites have to pay in certain boxes? It's a small campsite with 2 registration boxes...check both of them before accusing me of not paying..I seen 4 CO's that weekend, 3 out of 4 were great! Polite and respectful. Just a bad run in with 1 of them. I expect to be treated like anyone else. If I did something wrong, by all means I will take the wrap for it, but being accused of something without even checking..
Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 AM

You are missing the point Adam. It wasnt about the camp boxes. When you guys decided to act like a couple of know it all punks and not produce your licence because you technically didnt have to the officers decided to nit pick at you for anything and everything they possibly could.

Like I said. you deserved it and next time respect athority and you wont get the a-hole treatment. Its all part of growing up.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod View Post
You are missing the point Adam. It wasnt about the camp boxes. When you guys decided to act like a couple of know it all punks and not produce your licence because you technically didnt have to the officers decided to nit pick at you for anything and everything they possibly could.

Like I said. you deserved it and next time respect athority and you wont get the a-hole treatment. Its all part of growing up.
I somewhat disagree with this statement.

The first time the license was asked for the guy was driving the boat, not even fishing... thats fine (although had he planned on fishing, should have produced). The second time he was in his campsite... Why would you need to produce a license than?

Probably should have been as nice as you could have been to the officers though, but thats pretty ridiculous they didn't check both boxes before accusing you of not paying for the weekend. I think sometimes (even though you know your right) you have to humor them and make sure they know you are not a poacher/partyer/etc and you just planned on having a nice relaxing weekend.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Default You are fortunate!... leave it alone...

By the demeanor of your posts you and your buddy come across as a whining snivelling little brat who needs a good working over with a baton and a phone book.

They asked for both of your licenses because you both were in a fishing boat. Your buddy said he was not fishing but that his license was in the truck and he would produce it. A promise made!

Then when you pulled you genny stunt because you felt "entitled" to annoy other campers, CO come obver and says oh yah this is the punk that promised to show me a license... then your buddy refused ....RENEGING ON HIS PROMISE....

How a man treats his promises is the measure of a man.... not how high up the wall he can pee....So time to find a new buddy... how dependable is he when he makes a promise to you!....

Then you complain about being harassed... never mind all the campers you harassed with your genny...

So leave it alone and stop being a punk and be a man....

20 years ago you and your buddy would have got a good working over and learned that you don't renege on promises made...

You keep flying with crows you will be shot with the crows....
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM

How have I learned this...

Years ago.. I was acting like punk...(40 feet tall and bulletproof...AKA fuelled with Mezcal and Whiskey) authority figures asked me if I wanted to go to the brig the easy way or hard way.. as a punk I said the hard way... after a scuffle I wasl oaded into the wagon they handcuffed my hunds under my knees and rolled me in on my back and sat on my legs which left me with my knees tucked in beside my ears....After getting to the brig in the printing room I was worked over with a phonebook and a bat and then turned loose in the morning for my last day of leave...

Maybe you did not do anything particularly wrong... but certainly could have acted differently and ended up with a more positive outcome...

Next time you buddy comes with you in fishing boat.. make sure he has fishing license.... Another question... Did you make sure your buddy had his boating license with him!... probably in his truck too!...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM

In Saskatchewan , if they feel so inclined , they will give you the opportunity to bring your license to their office to prove you have one. Better than a ticket on the spot. If Rcmp showed up and asked for a drivers license in your camp site , I am willing to bet even though you weren't driving , they would have seen it in short order. Give respect , get respect.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
In Saskatchewan , if they feel so inclined , they will give you the opportunity to bring your license to their office to prove you have one. Better than a ticket on the spot. If Rcmp showed up and asked for a drivers license in your camp site , I am willing to bet even though you weren't driving , they would have seen it in short order. Give respect , get respect.
A friend of mine told me this last weekend..in Sask you have 30 days or something to produce your license in order to get a charge dropped or whatever.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

So what was the CO's perspective? He did a routine check for fishing licenses and one fella didn't have one. Although he didn't see the fella fishing it was reasonable to think that he may have. That night while doing a patrol he hears a generator going during quiet hours and he's attracted to it like a bug to a light. While there he asks to see your buddy's fishing license that he was told earlier in the day was in his truck. Your buddy refuses to show it because he doesn't have to. That move was just dumb on your buddy's part. If you have nothing to hide then why not cooperate and show it? The generator going during quiet time and the refusal to show the license (uncooperative) would have been enough to make my mind up about you and in my mind not paying for your site would not have been out of the question for something that you'd do.

If it were me I would have taken the time to go back to the campsite, get my license and track the CO down to show him that I had one. I probably would have told him about putting the payment for my site in the wrong box in order to avoid what happened to you. If you want to be shown respect then you have to show respect and doing something like that could have saved you some perceived mistreatment later on.

Chalk it up to a lesson in life and let it go. The CO did what he's paid to do and the complaint won't go anywhere anyway. You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar........Live and learn.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Default A what, a generator.

I have no time for those who go camping and bring and their junk with them.
Generators/Quads/motorhome/huge boat.
Isn't the idea of camping to get away from this crap.
You want to camp-camp/ You want to fish - fish/ You want all your crap with you - stay home.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh2 View Post
You want to camp-camp/ You want to fish - fish/ You want all your crap with you - stay home.
the issue is not the "things"....its people using them irresponsibly.

i take my generator with me all the time to top up boat batteries and i have never had a complaint....then again i dont crank it up in the middle of the night either..
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So what was the CO's perspective? He did a routine check for fishing licenses and one fella didn't have one. Although he didn't see the fella fishing it was reasonable to think that he may have. That night while doing a patrol he hears a generator going during quiet hours and he's attracted to it like a bug to a light. While there he asks to see your buddy's fishing license that he was told earlier in the day was in his truck. Your buddy refuses to show it because he doesn't have to. That move was just dumb on your buddy's part. If you have nothing to hide then why not cooperate and show it? The generator going during quiet time and the refusal to show the license (uncooperative) would have been enough to make my mind up about you and in my mind not paying for your site would not have been out of the question for something that you'd do.

If it were me I would have taken the time to go back to the campsite, get my license and track the CO down to show him that I had one. I probably would have told him about putting the payment for my site in the wrong box in order to avoid what happened to you. If you want to be shown respect then you have to show respect and doing something like that could have saved you some perceived mistreatment later on.

Chalk it up to a lesson in life and let it go. The CO did what he's paid to do and the complaint won't go anywhere anyway. You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar........Live and learn.
More diplomatic than my post but same message!...
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Yup.... If I was the CO probably would have done a very similar thing... not on a power trip but being inco-operative and then being waht could be construed as evasive... (Oh i was not fishing but I have a license it is in my truck)... then later refusing to get it out of truck after already saying that could be looked at as suspicious... Then capping it off by firing up a genny after 11:00 which is not just aginst the rules but would be a nuisance to other campers... I would probably have let you borrow a 1/2 cup of sugar right into the genny's gas tank....

Then checking the closest box which would be most likely for people to put money into and not seeing your fee could easily be understood too. After all maybe you put the fee in after the officers did their duty.

Lots of this story left out. I am glad these officers are doing their job. The fact that you have actually come on here and posted how these guys were "harassing" you and you had done nothing wrong other than.....breaking rules of campground...

Where was your buddy and his license on your first trip out of the morning...

Seriously, I think you need to get a new buddy...

Your buddy's and your actions are not really the actions of a fine upstanding citizen.
lol what are you smoking? Good grief man. How are either of these two fellas inthe wrong? If i was out with my wife and kid and the power went id turn the generator on too. Its 10 minutes! Get a grip. You have waaaaaaay to much time on your hands if you would get annoyed by two guys trying
To quickly fix a bonehead mistake on their part. Id be willing to bet youre the same guy that files a complaint about your neighbor having 3 dandelions on their lawn, complains about kids putting one foot onyour lawn, etc etc etc etc.

You need a hobby nekred.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Really? The CO was too much of a numbskull to see one rod? One tackle box? He didnt have enough common sense to not potentially **** sportsmen off at
Midnight? Regardless what u guys think, thats not in te job description. Life as a CO or police officer is not a 24/7 sting operation. Its
Quite the opposite. Human relations and proper social apptitude is a large part of training. Acting lile a d-bag is no where close to doing your job.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh2 View Post
Im guessing by your hatred of said items you frequent serviced campgrounds.....way to rough it.

Try rocking a two man pack tent and a pack stove while catering to a wife and a 17 month old. In some cases, city luxuries are needed.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
lol what are you smoking? Good grief man. How are either of these two fellas inthe wrong? If i was out with my wife and kid and the power went id turn the generator on too. Its 10 minutes! Get a grip. You have waaaaaaay to much time on your hands if you would get annoyed by two guys trying
To quickly fix a bonehead mistake on their part. Id be willing to bet youre the same guy that files a complaint about your neighbor having 3 dandelions on their lawn, complains about kids putting one foot onyour lawn, etc etc etc etc.

You need a hobby nekred.
I keep forgetting how some guys are waaay more important than their neighbour's.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Based on my statement you quoted....you dont have a kid. Any
Man that says their child isnt more important than the grumpy guy down the way is either a poor parent or lying. Yes buddy....my family outweighs your beauty sleep ten fold.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Based on my statement you quoted....you dont have a kid. Any
Man that says their child isnt more important than the grumpy guy down the way is either a poor parent or lying. Yes buddy....my family outweighs your beauty sleep ten fold.
Managed to raise two, never owned a generator. But back in those days we didn't have them, my oh my how did we manage.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Wow, what a sour thread!!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Pike im not saying it cant be done! I dont own a trailer, generator etc. But ido understand if people want to keep their kids comfy. I was solely replying to the "more important than my neighbor" post. If you have raised two, and still say those two kids wouldnt have taken priority over anyone in a 100km radius i call bs. But we are both off topic here, but i do see your point and agree to a certain extent.

I still am of the opinion the CO was acting as a dbag. Ive been in the same spot, and the CO that dealt with me simply told me "k, ill pop by
Your site when youre finished and we can roll out the paperwork. No harm no foul.

About 3 months while leaving work some douche called in
My plates that i was impaired. I was swarmed at the gas pump by 3 squad
Cars. The first officer was about my age (29) and he nade chit chat and said "to be honest someone called you in ad impared". I was miffed, but didnt mouth anyone off and simply handed over my
License. The worst part was the embarrassment as a bunch of people stood around like i just got taken down for robbery. 3 minutes later officer came back, handed me my license.....and gave an honest "im really sorry for the inconvenience....some people are just clowns". At that point i laughed and told the guy no problem, just doing your
Job. The guy was professional and acknowledged the fact he just embarrassed a guy with a totally clean driving record with
No criminal record. Thats how an officer of any organization should act. I shook the guys hand an told him to be safe. It is innocent until proven guilty boys, not the reverse
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Pike im not saying it cant be done! I dont own a trailer, generator etc. But ido understand if people want to keep their kids comfy. I was solely replying to the "more important than my neighbor" post. If you have raised two, and still say those two kids wouldnt have taken priority over anyone in a 100km radius i call bs. But we are both off topic here, but i do see your point and agree to a certain extent.

I still am of the opinion the CO was acting as a dbag. Ive been in the same spot, and the CO that dealt with me simply told me "k, ill pop by
Your site when youre finished and we can roll out the paperwork. No harm no foul.

About 3 months while leaving work some douche called in
My plates that i was impaired. I was swarmed at the gas pump by 3 squad
Cars. The first officer was about my age (29) and he nade chit chat and said "to be honest someone called you in ad impared". I was miffed, but didnt mouth anyone off and simply handed over my
License. The worst part was the embarrassment as a bunch of people stood around like i just got taken down for robbery. 3 minutes later officer came back, handed me my license.....and gave an honest "im really sorry for the inconvenience....some people are just clowns". At that point i laughed and told the guy no problem, just doing your
Job. The guy was professional and acknowledged the fact he just embarrassed a guy with a totally clean driving record with
No criminal record. Thats how an officer of any organization should act. I shook the guys hand an told him to be safe. It is innocent until proven guilty boys, not the reverse
First off nobody said there were kids, you brought that up. I've tried to think of a scenario where running a generator would keep a kid comfy, can't think of one, cold? cuddle with the parents. An emergency is one thing, running out of power at midnight is not an emergency, for my generation anyway. The OP himself admitted he did what needed to be done in the dark. If you don't like the rules the campground has in place go somewhere that's more to your style.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Adam .. its really no big deal .. you caught you first walleye and on the fishing licence .. you know your buddy could of got it that evening.. he got his reg and ins.. fishing licence was right there.. proper etiquette would be get it then and smile..

on the Generator yep your bad .. but then they didn't ticket you which they could of.. so you win this time and you new that when they came over..i know people that had 4 hours to leave campground..

Also on the boat thing did you have more than one rod in boat? he could of asked for your boating licence and check you for every thing from anchor and life jackets,, to throwing boy,, bailing bucket,barb hook on rod used.etc and wasted a hour of your time.. he didn,t

on the money yep he made a mistake thinking that you would put it in the box closest to your campsite.. but hey he just let you off..soooo .. you can choose to get all work up in life over small things or you can say next time i will not run my generator after 11 and i will be quite after 11 ..you stressed him and your buddy did more .. give him a break ,he may be new and had a bad day... you ever had them bad days with mouthy people. not saying that you were mouthy but its a big campground ..he gave you a break twice (boat & generator)

and we will have our fishing licences on us at all times when fishing esp when there is more than one rod in boat..i have had to produce later in National Park(ticketed to produce in 60 days)and i was not fishing, trolling with three rods out for three people but had 4 rods in boat..

all in all you had a great camping trip and fishing was ok and you got your first Walleye.. and this incendent should be forgot ,its no big deal imo

David
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Adam-- View Post
The officer let us go but ran the plates on the truck due to my buddy not providing a fishing licence?
thats probably routine. the CPS runs your plates while your in traffic just to make sure the vehicle isnt stolen. he was doing his job.

now the officers ask for my buddys fishing licence again!, my buddy refused to show them since it is 12am and he is not fishing, and wasnt fishing in the first place when he wanted to see it. The more experienced officer told the other officer that my buddy was correct and he shouldnt have asked for it, now the officer asked for registration/insurance for my buddys truck and his ID, then left for about 30mins which we waited for him to come back, there were some minor complications with the paperwork (not my deal, since its my buddys truck, so im not complaining there).
once again, the officer is checking for warrants on your friend and making sure the truck is okay to be on the road

So they finally leave, and we went to bed. The next day we packed up camp and started to head home, barely getting out to the highway when the same officer calls my buddys cellphone!, and asks where we are..which he replied with "leaving the campsite". The officer said we need to pay before we leave and we will be charged now. My buddy told him we paid for both nights and told him where the money was.(the officer checked the closest box to us but not both boxes in the small campsite). So, the officers reply was "oh..you shouldnt have paid in that box." (Where is the line in the campsite saying who pays at which box???its all one campsite!!). He then continues to say "if your lying to me, i will charge both of you.", In return my buddy told him "before calling us criminals, check the box, the money is there..". He also told the officer that we didnt appreciate the way we were treated at this campsite, and that we felt as if we were being watched more because of our age and looks (mid 20's).
so what? he made a mistake. were all human.

We did not break 1 law regarding fishing or camping the entire weekend(besides the generator thing, my bad) and were still hounded and considered criminals.
when were you considered a criminal? he just said if you are lying ill arrest you. just trying to get the truth.

I had the same voicemail on my house phone when i got home, saying we should have paid and that we will be charged. I phoned back and ensured the money was put in and that i wasnt being charged, and i also said i didnt appreciate the experience i had with that particular officer.

All said and done, i did get to catch my first walleye!, but as for my first experience at sturgeon lake, not impressed with the experience we had with that officer.
congrats on your walleye

What are your thoughts on this?

to me it sounds like your making a big deal out of nothing. He could have been alot worse and checked the boat for all the proper equipment. he also could have ticketed you for the noise violation
Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Adam .. its really no big deal .. you caught you first walleye and on the fishing licence .. you know your buddy could of got it that evening.. he got his reg and ins.. fishing licence was right there.. proper etiquette would be get it then and smile..

on the Generator yep your bad .. but then they didn't ticket you which they could of.. so you win this time and you new that when they came over..i know people that had 4 hours to leave campground..

Also on the boat thing did you have more than one rod in boat? he could of asked for your boating licence and check you for every thing from anchor and life jackets,, to throwing boy,, bailing bucket,barb hook on rod used.etc and wasted a hour of your time.. he didn,t

on the money yep he made a mistake thinking that you would put it in the box closest to your campsite.. but hey he just let you off..soooo .. you can choose to get all work up in life over small things or you can say next time i will not run my generator after 11 and i will be quite after 11 ..you stressed him and your buddy did more .. give him a break ,he may be new and had a bad day... you ever had them bad days with mouthy people. not saying that you were mouthy but its a big campground ..he gave you a break twice (boat & generator)

and we will have our fishing licences on us at all times when fishing esp when there is more than one rod in boat..i have had to produce later in National Park(ticketed to produce in 60 days)and i was not fishing, trolling with three rods out for three people but had 4 rods in boat..

all in all you had a great camping trip and fishing was ok and you got your first Walleye.. and this incendent should be forgot ,its no big deal imo

David
To answer a few questions:

-There was only one rod and tackle box in the boat, the other was at camp along with the licence.

-My boat has everything needed in it from life jackets, anchor, bail bucket, floating life line..etc..

-And yes, my buddy could have got the licence for him at camp that evening, but i dont control his actions and to be honest we were both a little fed up. The morning after just made it worse when we left and had to deal with the phone calls.

-All in all, thanks everyone for the comments, turned out to be a pretty touchy thread and i take everyones opinions in account. More or else i just needed to get it outta my system and see both sides of it.

As someone posted earlier, what it all comes down to is i caught my first walleye (which happened to be the biggest ) and no tickets were issued. Thanks everyone! Have a good week!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Hey I cranked it up a bit... you see both sides of it and that is more than what I can see having not been there...

Good on your first walleye.. hope you got it all worked out and learned something...
Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

You need a hobby nekred.
Nope I am the one who would go over and shut off your generator and wait for you to come out so we could have a discussion. If you want more than a discussion why I have a bat and a gun so you can up ante and I can call!...

Oh and I do have a hobby...actually a few of them and love to share them here on the AO forum....

Sounds like I got under your skin a bit too much.... Hit too close to home I assume!...

Take a look there was option... fire up genny to solve problem which would annoy everyone.... or change batteries to solve problem and thus annoying no one....

Sunset chat shows twilight until 11:31pm on Saturday... so probaly much later that genny was fired up...

Anyways chill out dude!... guy admitted that he now sees both sides and all is cool!...

Are you cool now....
Old 06-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:

You need a hobby nekred.
someone went off their rocker.

heres this. say you have 3 or 4 very young kids. oldest about 5 say, youngest under a year. your camping in a tent next to someone who at nearly midnight turns their generator on. would you be a happy camper if it was even on for 2 mins? no you probably wouldnt be with screaming kids.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:46 PM

Lol nekred its just the AO forum dude! We all get fired up from time to time. Chances are youd shut the genny off, and i come out venting.....and we'd end up half ****ed off rye and warm beer around a fire! Sa'll good dude!!!!