Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 AM

salt water eatin up,,,corsion
Old 04-23-2015, 06:33 PM

Buddy had a lund 17'. Ran no problem in Douglas channel. Saw a few 12-14' aluminum Lund running Douglas channel.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Buddy had a lund 17'. Ran no problem in Douglas channel. Saw a few 12-14' aluminum Lund running Douglas channel.

I've gone completely around Nootka on several occasions in a 14' Lund and grew up fishing Campbell River in a 12 footer. Bigger boats would take the odd wave over the bow but the little Lunds would act like bobbers. Of course, if they had taken a wave over the bow I probably wouldn't be writing this right now.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 PM

Default Best Aluminum Boat for O/S

Hey Everyone, a bit late for this thread but I will add my 2 cents I just purchased a Kingfisher 2425 Exp. HT from Jones Boys on Kootaney Lake. I will be picking it up in 2 weeks. It is a fully set up ocean guide boat with anything and everything on it. I have been researching O/S boats for 2 years now. I ran a 18' Crestliner for the last 3 years, great boat but was time to do a major upgrade. TJ, NW, Ducksworth, Hewes etc all make good offshore boats. I have spent hundreds of hours researching o/s boats and Kingfisher are by far the best all around west coast boat. No aluminum boat maker can match there hull strength and performance. Sure there are "nicer boats with a lot of bling" but the safety and performance is tough to compete with KF. The best guy to talk to if you could is Mike the host of BC Outdoor Magazine and Fishing.. They only run KF 2425's, Yamaha motors and fish everywhere. There are more Kingfisher boats on the west coast then any other boat by far including a lot of the guides on the island from Sooke to Port Hardy. I bought my boat from a TJ dealer and was going to buy a 23' TJ Tyee but that idea was shot right down from the owner of Jones Boys lol The 2 most important things I will tell you upon buying a boat.. #1 Do not get stuck with two footitis.. Bigger is better so if your looking at a 2025 go for the 2225. #2 always put the max HP rating of your boat on no matter what. I dont believe in fuel economy when it comes to fun and fishing.. The more power the better especially when you really need it.. Have fun with what ever you chose and I hope this helped.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
You are very right. The biggest problems come from mooring around derelict boats and zincs that never get checked or insufficient zincs.
But, electrolysis isn't as big of a problem on a glass boat. Plus the extra weight is nice in rough waters.
The extra weight comes at a cost of extra fuel burnt. I have a 21 foot North River Seahawk with a welded frame soft top and couldn't be happier with the fuel consumption I'm getting .
Old 08-07-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
For the money you are looking to spend you can get some very good boats south of the border. I bought my North River down there and found to be great on the salt as well as on the lakes back in Alberta. There are many more tin boat builders down there so you have more selection. North River,Boulton,Hewes and Duckworth just to name a few.I know in my case that I never would have found the boat I have for near the same money up here. In the end it will be your money on the line so buy what most impresses you. good luck shopping.
Agree 100%. I imported my Seahawk from Washington and saved a ton.
I couldn't be happier with it's use in ocean conditions.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:01 AM

http://www.silverstreakboats.com/
Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM

I like Harbercraft or Hewescraft, not a big fan of glass with the added weight. I grew up on the west coast on the water and have yet to run weather a good aluminum couldn't run. Gale force wind warnings means take er easy and fish the next day. Lots of open water halibut & ling cod trips in a 20' Lund. If u check your anodizing plates regularly, even add a few around the transom your going to be fine ! Our boats sat in the water at the cabin all summer with no issues (did flush out the motors often)

Last edited by fluxcore; 08-07-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 PM

So a harbercraft 1925 with a 175 Mercury verado would be ok for salmon?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Just about any boat is ok for salmon depending on where you go and how far off shore you go.. The most important thing when going out into the ocean is weather and rough water. The height of your sides and transom would be the main issue in bad conditions.. 1925 is a very nice boat and 175 has enough power. Saying that I wouldn't go 20 or 30 kilometers off shore with it but in the straits with decent weather no problem. I had a 18' Crestliner and been through some terrible waters on the big lakes and it did great but never the ocean, whole different ball of wax. Make sure you check the weather reports before heading out
Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 PM

Here is the boat I just bought I waited along time for this so I thought I would do it right this time I pick it up in just over a week, this is a picture Kingfisher sent me from the factory last week, almost finished Jones Boys needs it for 2-3 days to do the motors still, all the electronics, downriggers etc. I will post some pics of the finished product when I get back from Kootaney Lake!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.jpg (62.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 PM

Awesome looking boat frank!!