Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=sns2;825505] It is also worth noting that this clip is one of the supposed improvements over the A-Bolt./QUOTE]

hehe....I love my A-bolt

My other carrier is a Weatherby......glad I took the 257 because the 300 on the shelf at the same time didn't have a firing pin in it. My buddy was a little choked when he took it to the range for the first time

Apparently you don't have to fire the rifle to put an accuracy guarantee on it!!!

Ya get a lemon once in awhile with all brands I suppose.

tm
Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM

For sure. That's why as a rule of thumb, one should buy the best gun he can afford. In this fellow's case that would be the Sako.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrack View Post
The X-bolt does have a consumer adjustable trigger with instructions and I did adjust mine for a lighter trigger pull.
The sako 85 also has an "idiot proof" adjustable trigger, i find it to be one of the best factory triggers on the market. Even comes with a little wrench and distructions for use.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Nobody mentioned about the glass bedding of the X-bolts. All X-bolt rifles are glass bedded from the factory. I just took my x-bolt out two days ago and again it amazed me. Five quick shots just for fun and here are the results. I have not run into one x-bolt owner who has had any problems with accuracy.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Went Sako

I don't know if anybody cares but I finally made a decision and bought a Sako. I'm really excited so I thought I'd share.

I ended up at P&D and they happened to have a 300 Win Mag in the SAKO 85 Bavarian. Now I have been looking at Stainless Synthetic for the durability, but I have always been a classic look kind of guy. The Bavarian is one of the sweetest looking guns I have seen. So I bought it. P&D were really good to work with. They mounted my scope for a minimal charge and went over the gun very carefully with me.

Now I can't wait for it to warm up a bit si I can check this gun out.

Cheers guys and thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM

You paid for someone to mount your scope?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM

I own both the Sako Bavarian and Browning X-bolt White gold. Both good rifles, shoot great. If you are looking at function, the price isn't justified. If you are looking at estherics, and own personal preferences it may be. Do I have regrets on either purchase, no.

The only thing with the Sako, because I paid a premium on it and use it as a hunting rifle, I tended to baby it; while with the xbolt my focus is on one thing. Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
You paid for someone to mount your scope?
You asked that question over six years after the fact?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Haha holy smokes. Thats weird. This thread was at the top of my list as an unread discussion. I apologise for resurrecting this then.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Haha holy smokes. Thats weird. This thread was at the top of my list as an unread discussion. I apologise for resurrecting this then.
I suspect you have to reset your preferences to show newest first, not oldest. LOL
Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM

I have had my Sako m75ss 300WM new since 1997 and is still my main goto rifle. LOVE this gun!! Back then after issues I had with Browning, I wasn't going with them when I bought a new rifle. I thought I was going to be a 1-rifle guy back in 1997, but the rifle bug bit hard in 2004 and now there are several Sako m75 rifles in my safe.

Maybe consider a the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in 300WM. Nice rifle. A friend bought on for a good price 2 seasons ago and put a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 AO with LRD duplex.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:33 AM

I would buy a sako over a browning rifle all day and every day. If you ever want to buy a new trigger for your gun, good luck finding somebody who makes one for your browning. If you want to put a new barrel on your browning, that's a difficult task as well. Browning thread locks their barrels. Even if you manage to get the barrel out without ruining your threads on the action, it's very very hard to find a barrel maker who cuts Browning's threads. Aftermarket stocks are rare as well. This is why you never see gunsmiths build custom guns on Browning A-bolt or X-bolt actions.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 AM

I have owned several Browning rifles (but not an X-Bolt). All were decent rifles that shot well enough for a hunting rifle. I've also owned well over 150 rifles ( Cooper; Tikka; Steyer; etc.) in the past 35+ years. In my cabinets you won't find a Browning, but a couple Sako's with another being added this weekend. The only draw back to a Sako is the hard recoil pad. It is the only flaw in my opinion, and easy enough to change if the recoil is excessive.

Last edited by leo; 04-06-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Two different animals. One is fine. One is better. Much better in many ways. Accuracy and money are not the only measure of quality. If it were, we would likely all shoot a Savage Axis.

Last edited by sns2; 04-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 AM

The Sako has a far superior trigger, and uses more metal rather than plastic. Both are good guns, but the Sako is better designed, using superior materials.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Default Target Trigger

Does your new Bavarian have the target trigger?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Wow, necro thread arrrise and live again lol
Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 PM

Another for the Sako 85 SS,,,,it's my favourite rifle of those that I own. I have a finnlite stock on mine, though.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 AM

Buddy of mine got a Sako 85 Finnlight 300 wsm 4 mths ago. He is having a terrible time getting it to shoot good. 100's of various loads & he is pretty much fed up. Factory ammo was worse. Was thinking of buying one but not after seeing that. Well over $2200 into it & have to put with that!!!!! My old A bolt shoots way better. The 1 in 11 twist isn't normal as far as I'm concerned. No Sako for me.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
I hate it when you get things stuck on your mind😜 I'm impressed though, I couldn't have held out for 6 years without commenting!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Both good but I like the Sako better.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:39 PM

I have a SAKO 75 hunter and couldn't want the 85. The magazine latch and feel is off. If I had to buy another back-up rifle for the 75 I'd consider the x-bolt. Shooting left my options are somewhat limited though if I want the bolt on the "right" side.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 PM

I own 3 Sakos of different vintages. I had to put a Pachmyer on all 3. The Browning comes with a custom Pachmyer already fitted. That saves 125-150$. If you go Browning go for the Talley made lightweight mounts.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertan View Post
I own 3 Sakos of different vintages. I had to put a Pachmyer on all 3. The Browning comes with a custom Pachmyer already fitted. That saves 125-150$. If you go Browning go for the Talley made lightweight mounts.
The X-Bolt comes with the inflex recoil pad. I have two of them on Browning shotguns, and I much prefer the Pachmayr Decellerator. Where are you getting the information that the Browning recoil pads are made by Pachmayr?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:12 AM

My A-bolt titanium has a decelerator on it. Browning's Inflex is indeed their own. My bad. The Inflex is still streets ahead of what is on a Sako. I own 3 Sakos and 1 Browning. The Sakos all needed recoil pads. The Browning needed a trigger job. They all (The Browning and the Sakos) feed, extract, and eject very well.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Buddy of mine got a Sako 85 Finnlight 300 wsm 4 mths ago. He is having a terrible time getting it to shoot good. 100's of various loads & he is pretty much fed up. Factory ammo was worse. Was thinking of buying one but not after seeing that. Well over $2200 into it & have to put with that!!!!! My old A bolt shoots way better. The 1 in 11 twist isn't normal as far as I'm concerned. No Sako for me.
Has your buddy shot many light weight rifles before? I'm not saying it isn't the rifle, but if he's shooting a Finnlight the same way he'd shoot a weatherby accumark he's not going to get very good results.

I've never owned a browning, but if it was me, I'd buy a tikka before either of the two and throw a good synthetic stock on it. If weight wasn't an issue I'd get a Cooper.