Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 01:33 PM

Just Friggin Great! I’m on fixed income and that WAS my summer vacation. I am so fed up paying higher taxes every dammed year for less. Those UCP won’t be getting another friggen penny from me. If it wasn’t bad enough the feds stealing our guns that the prov idiots tax us to death.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:39 PM

I don’t mind it to be honest. The reality is k-country now gets a ton of traffic & it’s just a numbers game with regard to idiots acting like pigs.

I agree that steep ($500+ on-the-spot) should maybe be a first step...but I’m not sure they have the resources for enforcement.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:41 PM

We are entering a user pay situation or taxes going up.

Will have to deal with it to a point.

That 90.00 fee.... don't forget to add GST.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hammer View Post
the prov idiots tax us to death.
Coming soon is a special Alberta death tax so don't die.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:55 PM

So just watched the announcement..

"Sounds" like they have their head screwed on straight, the whole fee is going right back to k-country for conservation/services.
There is no "stacking of fees". So you won't have to pay the backcountry fee + this (unless you are somehow entering both areas).

Apparently it is two license plates per pass, so that better.

Oh. And it sounds like there's an ATV fee coming down the Pipes. They'll be removing the trail fee on the licencing and adding an area use fee.

All with the intent that money goes back the the same area it was collected.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Well ...

It was a zoo last year, expect more of the same this year.

Was on Spray Lakes Road last week.. never has it been so rutted up IMHO, so if they need more money for upkeep I will pay.
I was on Spray quite a few times this winter. I heard they have less money for road maintenance. They also seemed to have a smaller budget for clearing snow. I took my old beater car because I didn't want to tear my truck apart going 80kph on that awful roadway.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
So just watched the announcement..

"Sounds" like they have their head screwed on straight, the whole fee is going right back to k-country for conservation/services.
There is no "stacking of fees". So you won't have to pay the backcountry fee + this (unless you are somehow entering both areas).

Apparently it is two license plates per pass, so that better.

Oh. And it sounds like there's an ATV fee coming down the Pipes. They'll be removing the trail fee on the licencing and adding an area use fee.

All with the intent that money goes back the the same area it was collected.
i wonder if this will be for all plated ATVs just thinking about my farm quads that never leave the farm
Old 04-27-2021, 03:11 PM

Not a fan of this trend off applying user fees to crown land. A big part of what I look for in a place to live is access to crown land for hunting/fishing because it plays a large part in my life style. If this trend continues with the UCP they will no longer have my vote. Presently the K county and public land camping fees have little impact on me but I have a feeling this is not over

Starting to seem like there is no political party that represents my views and all are a threat to the things I enjoy in life

I was planning to visit K country this summer because I enjoyed fishing lower kananaskis when I lived in the south but forget it now
Old 04-27-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post

Ms. Mucha said visitors were also behaving “in a more aggressive way with staff and contractors,” likely because of the underlying stress of the pandemic. Conservation officers had a difficult time responding to the increased enforcement issues, she said, because much of their days were spent on public safety incidents, wildlife response, parking issues and cleaning up garbage.

You are going to see a lot more garbage and violence. The "butt heads" are going to say "I paid for it so I am going to do what I want"

Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees Fees

Like others on this board, I am on a fixed income. A couple of days ago I left the grocery store with one bag of groceries and a bill for $73. Every time you look around you are getting hit again. Send them the money and they will change the world's climate. I have had enough of "send me the money" and getting nothing for it.

Enough rant for one day

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-27-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
i wonder if this will be for all plated ATVs just thinking about my farm quads that never leave the farm
They don't know you have an ATV if it isn't plated and doesn't leave the farm.

......and I think you are combining plate passes and ATV's when they are an apples and oranges thing. Plate passes for registered highway vehicles and maybe something still to come about ATV fees?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:18 PM

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Our family camped down there often in the early/mid '50's. Fuel up in Exshaw/loaded up gas cans . . . nothing till Coleman.
Good fishing!
Not the same anymore. Golf course on winter range, etc.
The Alberta mentality has changed . . . not 'The West First' so much anymore.
Like there, here in BC . . . there are lots of squatters in the bush, garbage and junk vehicles everywhere, tree theft for firewood, poached elk/deer and some genuinely disturbing creeps.
If paying a fee helps . . . . may be a sign of the times ?/COLOR]
Old 04-27-2021, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I identify as low income. All good.
If you can afford to drive there, than you can afford the $90.

I don't think anyone here that has accessed KCountry last summer will disagree that more enforcement is needed.

It comes down to law abiding and respectful users having to pay the bill of the slobs that are causing the issues.

The far superior option would have been to hire more CO's and use the ticket revenue of those committing the offences to pay the salaries many times over.

Its not like the Provincial Government's bank account gets declined due to insufficient funds. They can "borrow" the money/ go into debt and have that debt paid off with the resulting ticket revenue.

But forcing the law abiding users to foot the bill is much easier......

So, to go hunting in say 406, would this now be classed as paid access. I thought that wasn't allowed!

Jason
Old 04-27-2021, 05:11 PM

The UPC just eliminated free public access to your crown lands. Guess what will happen with private land access now. We are now like Europe. The rich and those with rights will have lots of room to play now. Thanks Jason Kenny.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
I don't think anyone here that has accessed KCountry last summer will disagree that more enforcement is needed.

It comes down to law abiding and respectful users having to pay the bill of the slobs that are causing the issues.

The far superior option would have been to hire more CO's and use the ticket revenue of those committing the offences to pay the salaries many times over.

Its not like the Provincial Government's bank account gets declined due to insufficient funds. They can "borrow" the money/ go into debt and have that debt paid off with the resulting ticket revenue.

But forcing the law abiding users to foot the bill is much easier......
Prior to this they did announce they were hiring a bunch more C.O.'s. and during this announcement they said the money is going directly back to k-country for enforcement/maintenance/services. While I agree the law abiding ones shouldn't have to pay, I think this is the only way..
Old 04-27-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I doubt it. More like a trail fee you'll need to pay to ride there, whether that's a ticket booth or whatever is yet to be determined.

Separate from this k-country one.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:34 PM

Default Regressive tax on an inelastic supply= cash grab

General revenue won't do anything for making the experience more positive.

Now people will pay their $90 and feel entitled to leave dog poop on the trail. These spaces are in short supply and it already a tank of gas to get there. Despite a small drop off for those on the margins it won't stop people from going there. Just like at the gas pump with an empty tank we pay. Monetizing public lands is dangerous and will only lead to further restrictions. I thought the ucp voters wanted less regulation?
Old 04-27-2021, 05:43 PM

I am ok with the fee's, it has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread " people are pigs". I witnessed hoards of people out on anything that could float with fishing poles last year. Many times coming back to the launch I would see dozens of dead fish floating around where the larger groups were. It was sickening.

One thing I would like to mention is that I'm starting to get up there in years and I can say that I got to live through the best of times as an outdoorsman.

Every single level of government knows that talking tax increases is a no no now so they are all switching to user fee's. Welcome to the future !!

Dodger.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:45 PM

There you have it folks, it’s the start of paid hunting!! This is opening up Pandora’s box.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:57 PM
Banned

Wow...24 cents a day...be still my beating heart.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I have no problem pay a fee, If I have not ben there that week end , and people are pooping next to the toilets wrecking signs leaving a trail of garbage , overflowing bins , why should my tax money clean that crap up.
Human beings are worse than pigs, they are disgusting.

It be on crown land or in provincial parks those place look worse than a hog barn.
This!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
https://kananaskistrails.com/where-i...0and%20Canmore.

K Country Map is ^

At least I found out that immediately N of CNP does not apply. K Country in the S doesn't begin until (approx) S and W of Hwy 532.
Maybe good, maybe not. I’m concerned everyone that doesn’t want to cough up the $90 will end up south of 532.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Maybe good, maybe not. I’m concerned everyone that doesn’t want to cough up the $90 will end up south of 532.
Why go to Banff, now kananaskis is cheaper. Also bragg creek is free!

Jason
Old 04-27-2021, 06:32 PM

One thing I would like to mention is that I'm starting to get up there in years and I can say that I got to live through the best of times as an outdoorsman.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thirty years ago I would hunt the Spray Valley and maybe see one or two groups of other hunters. Glad I had a chance to experience the way it was.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:43 PM

Default tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Idk.. I agree but disagree.. this will (in theory) provide more money for maintenance and upkeep, while also discouraging the masses from just popping out there.

Last year k-country was an absolute zoo, with the "city folk" doing "city" things.. I think they had to do this and I welcome it.
If you think the govt will pick up garbage and improve park maintenance I have a bridge to sell you. The will hire more enforcement to generate more taxes /fines.

They tie this new permit it to your car license plate so they can drive through the parking lots with those camera cars and mail you a ticket. This is not increased enforcement.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thirty years ago I would hunt the Spray Valley and maybe see one or two groups of other hunters. Glad I had a chance to experience the way it was.
Yes indeed !

Dodger.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 PM

Mass punishment isn’t the way to go. This is like back in school if someone did something wrong and the whole class gets punished. No thank you. Punish those that do wrong (severely). Of course, that won’t make as much money. Pigs at the trough, the lot of them. Kenney’s not doing himself any favours with this one. Pretty much sealed how I’m voting next election. This is something the dippers would do.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post

Yup. I remember going into Lillian lake every July 1 and half the campground was empty. And catching 4# cutties.
Last time I went, I was hiking out and a tour bus was at the trailhead with scores of people coming out.
I left k country and never looked back. There are lots of rustic places to still enjoy though I think the user fee tax will be applied to everywhere.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:30 PM

If the problem was people acting like ****heads and leaving a garbage the problem is lack of enforcement. Hire more people and start ticketing people. If it’s as bad as it sounds it is then an officer should be able to ticket enough people to pay his salary.

This is a slippery slope. What’s next? A pass to visit Drumheller. Going to Devonshire in Slave Lake, not so fast where is your pass? If your gonna set the bar for charging user fees at “it’s crowded and people aren’t putting all their garbage away” this will be expanding to other parks soon enough.