Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2022, 01:50 PM

Default Is your Shell station no longer ethanol free?

Stopped at the (a) Shell in Spruce Grove today. New sticker on the pump.

“All products may contain up to 10% ethanol”

Does your local/regular shell station have the new sticker too?
Old 07-22-2022, 02:26 PM

I just filled up my truck a couple days ago at my Shell here in the West End (Edmonton) and since a related thread was talking about this same subject - I specifically noted the stickers still say "ethanol free" on premium at my Shell.

Maybe it will happen here to - so far, so good, still seems to be ethanol free. It might be specific to that station and it's supply agreements maybe? I know gasoline (and diesel) is regional and contracts are in place and topped up with spot for to 20% +/- of demand. (They purchase +/- 80% of forecasted demand on quarterly (or term) contracts of whatever and purchase the "variable" on local spot purchase or toll exchanges).
Old 07-22-2022, 02:53 PM

EZM I bet they just did not bother to change the stickers, I believe that all gasoline motor fuel (aviation excepted) has to contain ethanol now.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:07 PM

Haven't noticed a week ago at the shell in NE Calgary I use to fill up my boat. I sure hope not. Some Esso stations I frequent do not have any stickers at all about any amount in what grade? I called 2 coop stations near me and they both said no ethanol at all in any grade. HMMMMM????? Someone on the phone behind the till knows this??
Old 07-23-2022, 02:29 PM

Ethanol best and lowest cost octane enhancer, so oil companies like to save a dollar. After all they need to make some profit on $2.00 /liter gas.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:38 PM
Banned

I thought they were forced to add because it was a "biofuel"
The whole, lets make fuel from corn, but wait a minute, it cost more money than its worth, and it takes more carbon to manufacture than it is supposed to reduce?
Old 07-23-2022, 02:57 PM

2022 Fuel Standards by Province

Short form for Alberta, they can still sell ethanol free Premium as long as the overall average of fuel sold hits the 5%, not hard since most regular and mid has up to 10%.

Examples of other clean fuel standards

Here are examples of countries and jurisdictions that have low carbon fuel policies, such as renewable fuel mandate or a clean fuel standard:

Alberta: the Renewable Fuels Standard requires a minimum annual average of 5% renewable alcohol in gasoline and 2% renewable diesel in diesel fuel sold in Alberta by fuel suppliers. To meet the Renewable Fuels Standard, renewable fuels must demonstrate at least 25% fewer GHG emissions than the equivalent petroleum fuel.

Manitoba: Manitoba’s Ethanol Mandate requires fuel suppliers in Manitoba to blend at least 10% of ethanol in their gasoline. The Biodiesel Mandate requires fuel suppliers to blend 5% renewable content in on- and off-road diesel fuel.

Ontario: the Cleaner Transportation Fuels regulation requires that fuel suppliers blend 10% of renewable content in gasoline from 2020 to 2024. The renewable content requirement increases to 11% in 2025, 13% in 2028, and 15% in 2030 and onwards. The renewable content must emit fewer greenhouse gas emissions than fossil gasoline on a lifecycle basis by 45% before 2030 and 50% from 2030 onward. The regulation also requires fuel suppliers to continue to blend 4% renewable content in diesel. This renewable content must emit 70% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than fossil diesel on a lifecycle basis.

Saskatchewan: the Renewable Diesel Act requires fuel distributors to include 2% renewable diesel content. The province also has a 7.5% ethanol mandate.

British Columbia: the Renewable and Low Carbon Fuel Requirement mandates a 5% ethanol content in gasoline and 4% in diesel fuel. In addition, the province has a Low Carbon Fuel Standard, which aims to achieve a 20% reduction in fuel carbon intensity by 2030.

Quebec: effective January 1, 2023, gasoline and diesel fuels distributed in Québec will incorporate clean fuels. Quebec will require 10% low-carbon fuel content in gasoline in 2023 and increase this to 15% by 2030. Low-carbon fuel content in diesel will begin at 3% in 2023 and increase to 10% by 2030. In both fuel pools, the low-carbon content volume requirements will be adjusted by a carbon intensity factor.

United States: The Renewable Fuel Standard is a federal program that now requires transportation fuel sold in the country to contain 36 billion gallons of renewable fuel blended into gasoline or diesel.

California: The Low Carbon Fuel Standard is a state regulation that requires a 20% reduction in transportation fuel carbon intensity by 2030.

Oregon: The Clean Fuels Program (CFP) is a state law that requires a 10% reduction in transportation fuel carbon intensity in 10 years. Phase I of the CFP was adopted in 2009 to study the impact of such a reduction. In 2015, it was fully implemented.

European Union: fuel suppliers are required to reduce carbon-intensity by 6% for transportation fuels supplied to the EU. This requirement is integrated with the EU’s Renewable Energy Directive. Both policies require Member States to enforce targets.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:18 PM

Default Ethanol free fuel

Has anyone found premium non-ethanol fuel in AB?

My go to stations of Shell and Costco both now show up to 10% ethanol and I haven't found anyone who can tell me what percent they actually have in their premium fuel?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 11-09-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Ethanol best and lowest cost octane enhancer, so oil companies like to save a dollar. After all they need to make some profit on $2.00 /liter gas.
Federal government mandates it, not oil companies. Companies don't have a choice . Feds came up with it last year's for all fuel to have it .
Old 11-09-2022, 01:36 PM

Default Ethanol

Sorry I should have worded my previous post clearer.

I understand all gasoline must contain ethanol but I believe that while it may contain 10% some choose to add less to their premium fuel but I haven't found anyone who can tell me what percent they are adding to their premium fuel. I would rather purchase premium fuel with 5% ethanol then 10% if there is an option.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 11-09-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Has anyone found premium non-ethanol fuel in AB?

My go to stations of Shell and Costco both now show up to 10% ethanol and I haven't found anyone who can tell me what percent they actually have in their premium fuel?

Thanks,
Phil
Chevron 94 is Ethanol free. It states right on the pump ethanol free. And it even has its own separate nozzle to avoid contamination by other grades. It is crystal clear and smells weird. But, I verified it is ethanol free by testing it.

The Co-op pumps also still have the individual stickers above both the 87 and 89 indicating that they could contain ethanol. There is no sticker above the 91, so it could be ethanol free. But I have not bought any yet to test and verify. If you do try Co-op 91 - to avoid ethanol that could already be in the hose from the previous person buying lower grades, I would squeeze a few liters into my car first before filling my jerry can.

To test for ethanol, use a small tall/skinny glass container that can hold like 100 ml. Start by putting some water in the bottom (like 10ml). Note the level of where that water is. Then top up the container with the gasoline. Mix it vigorously, and then let the mixture settle. If the "water" level in the bottom stays the same once it settles, then there is no ethanol. If the "water" level has increased it means there is ethanol in the gas, which has mixed with the water and has now increased the "water" volume.

If you use a graduated measuring device, you can determine the percentage of ethanol. I only really care to know if there is ethanol or not, so i don't try to be too accurate. Though, everything I have tested lately is very obviously either 10% or 0% ethanol.

Graham.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:55 PM

Default Ethanol

Thanks Graham. Co-op is available near me so Co-op it is.

Phil
Old 11-09-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
EZM I bet they just did not bother to change the stickers, I believe that all gasoline motor fuel (aviation excepted) has to contain ethanol now.
That would be false advertising.

As for the actual standard for Alberta.

Quote:
Alberta: the Renewable Fuels Standard requires a minimum annual average of 5% renewable alcohol in gasoline and 2% renewable diesel in diesel fuel sold in Alberta by fuel suppliers. To meet the Renewable Fuels Standard, renewable fuels must demonstrate at least 25% fewer GHG emissions than the equivalent petroleum fuel.

A 5% average means that you could use 10% in 87 octane 5% in 89 octane, and none in premium, and still be over 5% average, especially when the majority of gasoline produced is 87 octane.

As for Co-op

https://www.fuel.crs/more/petroleum

Quote:
CO-OP® Fuels are proudly manufactured from crude oil – as well as wheat- and corn-based ethanol – sourced from Western Canadian suppliers.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-09-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:03 PM

When I stopped in to the Co op last month and asked about ethanol in the premium, I was told all fuel has ethanol.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:06 PM

Our local Co op has new ethanol stickers. The regular and mid grade are stickered the premium is not. I never asked about it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2022, 07:16 PM

They last time I checked the Mobil Station by my place in NE Calgary (they call it Monterey but it's on the Pineridge side) pump was stickered ethanol free for the high test and a dedicated pump. That was in September though. Filled up my boat tank.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Our local Co op has new ethanol stickers. The regular and mid grade are stickered the premium is not. I never asked about it.
Premium here at Co Op is does not have ethanol.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:13 PM

Shell stations seem to be changing. The station I have always gone to for ethanol-free premium (wye rd sherwood park) is doubtful now. Stickers on the pumps have changed. I use the iphone app called Pure Gas to find stations without ethanol in their premium. The app matches the stickers on the pumps and changed to match when my go-to station changed. I like the Pure Gas app.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:42 PM

I stay away from any Shell station,one by my house ups the price early in the am then drops by noon.Back up again right around rush hour.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:44 PM

Default Ethanol

I called the Co-OP station before going down and was advised their Premium is ethanol free.

The pumps indicated Ethanol in the Regular and Mid grade gas but not in the Premium grade.

Regarding The Pure Gas app. I don't have the app but when checking the Alberta stations on their web site I found lots of outdated data. It shows the St Albert Shell as having ethanol free 91 octane fuel but was last updated in 2015. Possibly the App is current and the website not updated.

Phil
Old 11-09-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I called the Co-OP station before going down and was advised their Premium is ethanol free.

The pumps indicated Ethanol in the Regular and Mid grade gas but not in the Premium grade.

Regarding The Pure Gas app. I don't have the app but when checking the Alberta stations on their web site I found lots of outdated data. It shows the St Albert Shell as having ethanol free 91 octane fuel but was last updated in 2015. Possibly the App is current and the website not updated.

Phil
Barrhead Coop told me all thier gas comes from either Shell, Esso or PetroCan.. at random. Premium was Ethanol free in 2012. All contain Ethanol now
Old 11-10-2022, 06:48 AM

There are only a few refineries that supply all vendors in Alberta , so it depends which refinery the vendor buys from. And if the same truck delivers fuel to several vendors, from one refinery, they all get the same fuel. regardless what sign they sell under. And some smaller vendors buy from multiple refineries, which complicates things even more. Petrocan has used ethanol in their premium for years, and at least until recently, Shell premium did not contain ethanol. The only way to know what you are buying, is to know which refinery the fuel comes from, and whether that refinery is putting ethanol in their premium fuel. So if you know someone that works at a refinery, your best chance is ask them whether they put ethanol in their premium.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are only a few refineries that supply all vendors in Alberta , so it depends which refinery the vendor buys from. And if the same truck delivers fuel to several vendors, from one refinery, they all get the same fuel. regardless what sign they sell under. And some smaller vendors buy from multiple refineries, which complicates things even more. Petrocan has used ethanol in their premium for years, and at least until recently, Shell premium did not contain ethanol. The only way to know what you are buying, is to know which refinery the fuel comes from, and whether that refinery is putting ethanol in their premium fuel. So if you know someone that works at a refinery, your best chance is ask them whether they put ethanol in their premium.
There's more to it than that. Ethanol is blended at the loading rack. No ethanol blended fuel is shipped through the pipelines between Edmonton and Calgary or Edmonton.

Calgary has two loading terminals that now have the ability to blend ethanol on the rack. Co-op has had their own loading Facility out by carsland for years and, unless I am mistaken, is only set up to blend ethanol into their premium load arms, which was done to satisfy a Husky contract for southern BC.

I haven't handled retail contracts in a few years, but I can say that notice was given to prep all stations in Alberta to recieve ethanol blended fuels in all grades. The bottleneck is an inconsistent supply of ethanol. As a result, many stations are still receiving non ethanol blended fuel - usually premium and occasionally regular. *midgrade is just premium and regular blended at the pump.

Chevron will continue to sell their ethanol free 94 for the foreseeable future. Not sure how they do that.

And ethanol or not, if someone wants to fill their Jerry can with premium from a shared hose, always put at least 5 liters in you vehicle first. The hose and pump will be full of whatever was last pumped.

Colin
Old 11-10-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The only way to know what you are buying, is to know which refinery the fuel comes from, and whether that refinery is putting ethanol in their premium fuel. So if you know someone that works at a refinery, your best chance is ask them whether they put ethanol in their premium.
Lol.

Or just test it yourself. Take 2 minutes.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
Lol.

Or just test it yourself. Take 2 minutes.
But that is after you buy it, not before you buy it.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:15 PM

Sticker or no sticker I think they all have ethanol now.