Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2022, 07:53 PM

Default Over priced

Stopped at No-Frills today. Wanted to buy a couple of cans of Campbell’s clam Chowder. Anyone else notice that the cans have been made taller to make them look bigger, but their actually 25 mils smaller. And the price is almost double. Another bit of price gouging.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:13 PM

Shrinkflation is everywhere now. Your Oreos are smaller then they used to be too. Packages of bacon are 375 g instead of 450 g, or 500 g as in the past. Lots of products this is happening with. I wouldn't call it gouging, the producers input costs (power to produce, costs of packaging and shipping) have all gone up substantially. They realize consumers are more sensitive to price increase, then product decreases. So that's the route they go. But we are getting it both ways for sure, more cost for less product. Thanks Justin. If only I had Disney +, I could cancel it, and then I'd be sailing!

Maybe we will all start to lose a little weight.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-13-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Maybe we will all start to lose a little weight.
Probably just the wallet……
Old 11-13-2022, 10:57 PM

On a similar note, I visited Hunptys for the first time in many years while my truck was having tire work done nearby. Thought I would trest myself to a big breakfast and ordered the “cowboy breakfast” which used to be quite the plate.

It was..ok, but the bangers (must be english for sausage??) were half the size they used to be, and the ham went from a fairly thick piece to some shaved slices.

Not that a fatty like myself needed more than what appeared in front of me, but the difference was sure noticeable, as was the 18 buck pricetag iirc.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:14 AM
Banned

Old 11-14-2022, 06:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shrinkflation is everywhere now
Have to agree sad put true when i shop i just have to ask myself do i want it or do i need it.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:55 AM

Get used to it….. and thank the moronic global fiscal policies for it.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-14-2022, 07:34 AM

We raise our own meat and put up as much garden as possible. We try staying away from packaged food, but it’s a little easier for us because we are retired and have the time.

The only way to hurt the producers is to stop buying their down sized products, but they are all doing it now so that’s becoming impossible. Seems the system has the little man on every turn.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:12 AM

McDonnell's started this years ago . Seems like every year their burgers get smaller and smaller and the price gets bigger and bigger .
Old 11-14-2022, 08:31 AM

This has been happen for years... I noticed it became more prevalent once Turdeau got elected.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:38 AM

The consumer has an endless supply of cash to feed the greed don't ya know! Wear the sweater and no more Disney and the economy will take care of itself!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-14-2022, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
This has been happen for years... I noticed it became more prevalent once Turdeau got elected.

Poilievre should run on a platform of "A regular sized can of Campbell's clam chowder in every pot" platform. I'm not sure if Trudeau is directly responsible for the Campbell company's decision to shrink the can but we have to blame someone...
Old 11-14-2022, 09:24 AM

It all started when they accepted the metric system for measurement. A litre is smaller than a quart, yet you paid more. We buy stuff by the gram and not by the ounce. The only thing that got bigger was "it's not a yard anymore, it's a meter" Make it smaller and charge more
Old 11-14-2022, 09:32 AM

Try buying a used jeep. Guys want a premium price for a miled out leaky engine, rusted frame bad u joints and a body ready to fall apart.

They sit there and look you in the face and say that's the going price, ya for a one you can legally drive.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
It all started when they accepted the metric system for measurement. A litre is smaller than a quart, yet you paid more. We buy stuff by the gram and not by the ounce. The only thing that got bigger was "it's not a yard anymore, it's a meter" Make it smaller and charge more
Umm….. a quart is 946 millilitres, and a litre has 1000 millilitres.

The quart is smaller than a litre.

Don’t tie this to the metric system, it’s tied to rampant inflation driven by idiotic monitory policy.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-14-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Don’t tie this to the metric system, it’s tied to rampant inflation driven by idiotic monitory policy.
Try using a uk quart like Canada does. The us quart is smaller and Canadian is larger.
But that has nothing to do with why smaller portions and more money for it.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:

My BAD
Old 11-14-2022, 10:02 AM

The problem are the middleman. They never touch the product,they buy it low, sell high. Then the next middleman does the same thing and finally it gets to Market at a inflated price.
The producer gets low pay for high work, the end user pays high price smaller product. The middlemen reap the rewards from both sides with nothing more then phone call and few keyboard strokes.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:03 AM

It’s become stupid.

I bought a 14 piece KFC bucket and it only filled it half way. Small, small chickens.

Could of been Cornish game hen buckets or 14 chicken wings.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-14-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:

How many litres to a gallon ? I think Four quarts to a gallon and 4.3 liters to a gallon. I'm not great on metrics but I think a liter of oil is smaller than a quart of oil
Old 11-14-2022, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
The problem are the middleman. They never touch the product,they buy it low, sell high. Then the next middleman does the same thing and finally it gets to Market at a inflated price.
The producer gets low pay for high work, the end user pays high price smaller product. The middlemen reap the rewards from both sides with nothing more then phone call and few keyboard strokes.
You've described capitalism really well. If you get rid of the middle man the next step will be communism, no thanks.

I like being a middleman, it bought me a new boat.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
How many litres to a gallon ? I think Four quarts to a gallon and 4.3 liters to a gallon. I'm not great on metrics but I think a liter of oil is smaller than a quart of oil
Whose gallon?
Whose quart?

It matter since the only nation still using gallons and quarts is the US…….

There are no absolutes
Old 11-14-2022, 10:26 AM

I like being a middleman, it bought me a new boat.[/QUOTE]

AHA.....

So, you are the problem
Old 11-14-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I'd say it's the speculators on places like Wall Street, most commodities these days are traded as futures and they drive the prices. Oil, Grains, Lumber, etc.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-14-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Heh, funny you should mention that.

I was still in school when the metric system was adopted (I'm old enough to remember the black "night" speed limit signs on the highways...)

At any rate, we were discussing this in class, and I brought up that exact same point. Even as a kid I could see the difference.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
McDonnell's started this years ago . Seems like every year their burgers get smaller and smaller and the price gets bigger and bigger .
Takes two Mac Muffins to be what one used to be.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-14-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
The price of a McDonald's meal always seems to kind of follow the hourly minimum wage, doesn't it?

Yeah, I try to eat out as little as possible. Processed food in general causes me gastrointestinal issues.

And given my handle, NO ONE WANTS THAT. At least those who share my airspace...
Old 11-14-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
My middleman is the gas station in Brooks when I pick up my beef at Brooks Meat Packers.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:54 AM
Banned

Default Lets here it just asking

Quote:
Whose gallon?
Whose quart?

It matter since the only nation still using gallons and quarts is the US…….
living in canada what would you think being its a canada fourm
Old 11-14-2022, 12:42 PM

Table 7: Differences between U.S. and imperial volume measurements

Imperial System/ Metric Equivalent/ U.S. System/ Metric Equivalent

1 ounce/ 1 (fluid) oz./ 28.41 mL/ 1 (fluid) oz./ 29.57 mL /
1 cup/ Not commonly used/ 8 (fluid) oz./ 236.59 mL/
1 pint/ 20 (fluid) oz./ 568.26 mL/ 16 (fluid) oz./ 473.18 mL/
1 quart/ 40 (fluid) oz./ 1.137 L/ 32 (fluid) oz./ 946.36 mL/
1 gallon/ 160 (fluid) oz./ 4.546 L/ 128 (fluid) oz./ 3.785 L