Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Pro Line and Arbor Tape

After reading through the Pro Line website I have a few questions.

Does the arbor tape that they include provide sufficient "anchorage" for the line? Do you guys still suggest putting down some mono for backing?

If just the tape is good enough does the fact that there will be substantially less line (diameter wise) on the spool cause any bad effects?

What exactly is "arbor tape"?

Thanks
Keljay
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 AM

they give you a couple little pieces of foam tape with the line, you just stick them on your reel spool so the line doesnt slip if you get down that far. I havent had any problem with the 30 pound I spooled, I cast a long way when I fish and havent gotten near the end of the line yet. Havent had any fish big enough to take all my line yet, maybe if I get a big sturgeon it would happen, but with my drag set I cant see any problems there elsewise. I have 120 yards on my reel, the extra space on the spool doesnt make any difference that I can see, the line slides off so easily it just doesnt matter.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Thanks Wayne;

This may sound dumb but here goes! So the braided line is wrapped ON TOP OF the tape, the tape is not used to tape down the line. Do I have this right in my simple brain?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Tie your line onto the spool, and put one wrap of streched electrical tape around it. You will never have a problem, ever. I don't put mono backing on, but I spool up myself off of bulk spools to within about an 3/32's of an inch to the spool lip.

Chris K

Last edited by Chris K; 11-21-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keljay View Post
Thanks Wayne;

This may sound dumb but here goes! So the braided line is wrapped ON TOP OF the tape, the tape is not used to tape down the line. Do I have this right in my simple brain?
thats how I understood it from the instructions, seems to work good for me. the electrical tape is another option people use that works too.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Tie your line onto the spool, and put one wrap of streched electrical tape around it. You will never have a problem, ever. I don't put mono backing on, but I spool up myself off of bulk spools to within about an 3/32's of an inch to the spool lip.

Chris K
Thanks Chris, makes perfect sense. You don't run into any issues spooling that close to the lip?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks Wayne, seeing as I don't need to re spool any rods right now, my plan is to pick up an ice fishing combo and spool it up with some light test braid. This way I'll have an ultra light reel for next spring when the ice (that will eventually arrive!) melts.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM

just make sure the guides on the ice rods are tough enough to take the braid without getting cut. If you stick to little perch shouldnt be much of an issue Im hoping to beat my 11 pound pike record from my favorite lake this winter, should be fun getting that through an 8 inch hole. As long as it hasnt swallowed another coot it will fit ok. That was the fattest pike Ive ever seen and it was only 8 pounds

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
just make sure the guides on the ice rods are tough enough to take the braid without getting cut. If you stick to little perch shouldnt be much of an issue Im hoping to beat my 11 pound pike record from my favorite lake this winter, should be fun getting that through an 8 inch hole. As long as it hasnt swallowed another coot it will fit ok. That was the fattest pike Ive ever seen and it was only 8 pounds
Wow not bad at all! Do you, or anyone else have any recommendations for an ice rod that can handle braid? I'm thinking about getting the new St Croix ice combo.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM

cant help you there, Ive never bought one, I made a couple this winter from broken rods I had around. The rod specs should tell you what sort of guides they have, and someone else should know what works the best. might even be a discussion in the forum somewhere. New life for my favorite old uglystik, still kicking my butt for stepping on it last year. It was worth it anyways, since I was running to help my son with his 13 pound pike

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-21-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Chris, makes perfect sense. You don't run into any issues spooling that close to the lip?
The reels I have been using are alright with spooling them like this. (Shimano Stradic, Saros, or Sustains) If you are worried, leave an 1/8 of an inch.

Chris K
Old 11-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Wow not bad at all! Do you, or anyone else have any recommendations for an ice rod that can handle braid? I'm thinking about getting the new St Croix ice combo.
Most ice rods have inserts in the guides which will handle braid. Any Frabill, St. Croix, Rapala/Normark, ugly stick or anything like that will be fine. $20 rod is fine (the St. Croix 32" medium is nice). Longer rods and braids go hand in hand in my experience. More of a shock absorber with the no stretch leads to less pulled hooks. Get a nice $40 reel with a nice smooth drag on it (this is key). Something in the 1000 or 2000 size is good or if you have a UL from the summer that isnt already being used.