Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Spypoint Solar cam

Anyone try this camera out? Wondering how it would handle a cold winter. Thinking about picking one up just wondering if anyone out there has a real world review? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 PM

I have one, I can't tell you about function in the winter though as I have only had mine a few months. I did put the double a's in as a back up to the internal battery and it hasn't used them at all yet. Takes some nice pics I'm still trying to figure out which mode is best for night time. Only gripe I can give it is I had a moose figure it tasted good and was licking it and rubbing his nose all over it. ( had it set on photo first mode then followed by video and he was able to open the case) . It made for some pretty interesting video. The latches seem like they don't have a pile of holding power but that can be fixed with a zip tie where the lock loop is. All and all I think it's going to be my go to camera, if it does like it's supposed to it should pay for its self in the cost of replacing batteries on my other units.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhorn_J View Post
I had a moose figure it tasted good and was licking it and rubbing his nose all over it..
Next time don't eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as you walk to where you are putting it
Old 08-14-2017, 10:30 PM

I've been running one the last 2.5 months, 6800 pictures, 8 weeks in the field. Haven't had it out for the winter... but it hasn't used any battery in that time at all. Very very rarely takes pics of grass/wind/shadows as well. I've been impressed and am buying another 2-3 shortly. I can send some pics if you're interested.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 AM

Which model are you running?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:36 PM

Default Glad to hear

The cams that come from Spypoint are top notch especially with solar backup. I've been using them for a couple years as well as the tiny series. I have the back up system. About questions about them feel free to ask. I prostaff for them out here in Alberta.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:46 PM

Right on they sound really positive. Am currently running 9 bushnell's and battery life is really good but once it gets cold am done. Even running lithium battery's. I'd like to leave it out all winter think it would last?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 AM

I have the link-Evo cell cam and am not happy with it this far...just moved it to the 4th spot trying to get it to transmit pics...my cell has 1 to 3 bars in all these locations but camera doesn't work
Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEyes View Post
Right on they sound really positive. Am currently running 9 bushnell's and battery life is really good but once it gets cold am done. Even running lithium battery's. I'd like to leave it out all winter think it would last?
I've got a solar one, but this coming up winter will be the first time using it. So far so good (I didn't bother installing any backup batteries) - the key is precharging it for 24 to 48 hours as stated in the manual before using it the first time. If the camera is set up where it gets sunlight I don't see why it wouldn't work over the winter.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 08-16-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I have the link-Evo cell cam and am not happy with it this far...just moved it to the 4th spot trying to get it to transmit pics...my cell has 1 to 3 bars in all these locations but camera doesn't work
Contact their tech support 1-888-779-7646. I've got the same camera had a similar issue and called them. 1 bar seems to be a no go, 2 bars can be hit and miss, but 3+ bars has worked just fine.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 08-16-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Default Thats correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Contact their tech support 1-888-779-7646. I've got the same camera had a similar issue and called them. 1 bar is a no go, 2 bars can be hit and miss, but 3 bars has worked just fine.
The more bars the better, 2 bars have been ok in some areas but 3 is what id like to see. Some cellular providers have different coverage areas but you can check out the maps on SPypoint.com.
feel free to contact Customer support for more inquiries into troubleshooting your Spypoint Cell cam.