Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 AM

Default reloading app

I hope this is useful to other reloaders. I have been searching and trying different ways to keep tracks of my loads and most importantly taking a note while I test my loads, and I also wanted to take a photo of my groups that I could use as a reference in future.
I am not sure how others do it, but I decided to take a year break from reloading and create something new myself.
Ended up buying a mac (Last year in August), learning how to create an ios app, it has been a long journey, lots of new things to learn, and having a full-time job did not make it easy. Wife and kids have been extremely supportive. I am not sure if I will create an Android version since I plan to add a few more things to the app. I have pre-loaded some bullet data including coefficient, and most of powders.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:02 AM

link?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 AM

https://goo.gl/PWCrrN
Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 PM

here is the quick video to show how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpxSTDbtOrE
Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Wow.... am I ever a dinosaur, I still use what I've been using for the last 40 years, a pen and paper!
Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 AM

Thank you for developing this cool app!

I will definitely give it a try. I am using Excel to record all my reloading data now.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Wow.... am I ever a dinosaur, I still use what I've been using for the last 40 years, a pen and paper!
It still works for me.

Truthfully, I can remember the load for every one of my rifles without having look it up, and the data is on the lid of every MTM box if I did forget.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teastick View Post
Thank you for developing this cool app!

I will definitely give it a try. I am using Excel to record all my reloading data now.
Thank you, Teastick. That is exactly how I started. I used to print excel file and take out a print to the range. Then I had to update excel file with notes that I took in a range. Then, of course, I wanted to have a photo of the target - this was a big deal for me. The app might be useful when you are developing a load. Please let me know if you want to see additional fields, I can add them as a part of next upgrade.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It still works for me.

Truthfully, I can remember the load for every one of my rifles without having look it up, and the data is on the lid of every MTM box if I did forget.
agreed, the record keeping may not be required once you found a load that works for your firearm.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Thank you, Teastick. That is exactly how I started. I used to print excel file and take out a print to the range. Then I had to update excel file with notes that I took in a range. Then, of course, I wanted to have a photo of the target - this was a big deal for me. The app might be useful when you are developing a load. Please let me know if you want to see additional fields, I can add them as a part of next upgrade.
I have downloaded the app and tried for a few minutes. Here are my thoughts,

1. it would be great if it could import/export from/to .xls/.xlsx/.csv;
2. iCloud data backup or syncing between devices (iPhone and iPad with same Apple ID);
3. where can I input how many rounds I have reloaded?
4. a N/A option for not available info.

Thanks again Wolf!
Old 08-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Don't know if I just missed them but Velocity, pressure signs data such as, flattened primer. sticky extraction, case head and rim expansion along with space for original case dimensions for rim, case head, shoulder junction, datum line, neck junction, overall length, neck diameter fired, sized unloaded and loaded, and group size per load plus space for as many groups as required..

Last edited by Dean2; 08-11-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:

2. iCloud data backup or syncing between devices (iPhone and iPad with same Apple ID);

Thanks again Wolf!
Then convert from .csv to .xml and build a database. Oooooh! Aaaaaah!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Thank you all, please keep them coming. I will try to post a reply in here and follow up via email if I need a clarification.

1. It will be added but current priority is iCloud data sync between devices.
2. Actually, I was already on that path, somehow Apple decided to replace it with something else. Regardless that is the next big thing that I will add.
3. I will have a batch number and round counter added this weekend. I never thought of that, I usually do 25 or 50 rounds at the time so did not think about at all. Excellent point.
4. Could you please send me a pm with field name that n/a should be added? I will get it done over the weekend.

Quote:

Thanks again Wolf!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Don't know if I just missed them but Velocity, pressure signs data such as, flattened primer. sticky extraction, case head and rim expansion along with space for original case dimensions for rim, case head, shoulder junction, datum line, neck junction, overall length, neck diameter fired, sized unloaded and loaded, and group size per load plus space for as many groups as required..
Do you think we could have a chat over the phone? I will be glad to add those and much more. I know flattened, loose primer. sticky extraction could be a sign of the high pressure etc. I would like to know how you would like to capture data.

Again excellent points and I never thought about them myself even I ran into a couple of them myself.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks again Wolf!

Teastick, I just released an update that should help with #3.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I hope this is useful to other reloaders. I have been searching and trying different ways to keep tracks of my loads and most importantly taking a note while I test my loads, and I also wanted to take a photo of my groups that I could use as a reference in future.
I am not sure how others do it, but I decided to take a year break from reloading and create something new myself.
Ended up buying a mac (Last year in August), learning how to create an ios app, it has been a long journey, lots of new things to learn, and having a full-time job did not make it easy. Wife and kids have been extremely supportive. I am not sure if I will create an Android version since I plan to add a few more things to the app. I have pre-loaded some bullet data including coefficient, and most of powders.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Hi wolf. I think that yours is a very cool endeavor. However, I will have to wait until you make it as an Android app as I do not use Apple products. Currently, I use Point Blank Ballistic software which not only contains a database to store load data but also provides ballistic results. You can download it free from www.huntingnut.com It may be a good idea for you to check it out and get more ideas to improve on your app. Good luck in your project.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:04 PM

thank you very much gitrdun, I will download and try the app that you suggested. Other members have asked for an android version as well, We shall see
Old 08-16-2017, 07:47 PM

Thank you very much Dean2!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:44 PM

Hi All, I have released a couple of updates, and the latest update includes a few advanced reloading fields. I have also pre-loaded CCI primers and a bunch of other case manufacturers. Please let me know if you have any trouble upgrading the latest version. I did not have a chance to add all features that Dean suggested above - but eventually I will.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 PM

If you could add in a feature where you could take a photo and attach it to a certain load I would find that useful. Also a box to add a group size or something along those lines. I think it would be useful for load development, especially if you are dealing with a flyer in your group or getting your point of impact shifting as the barrel warms up. Easier just to take a picture than to take a whole bunch of notes documenting this. Thanks for taking the initiative to make this app!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:43 AM

Hi Deaner,

I believe what you are asking is already in there but in the comments section, that way you can shoot multiple groups and attach a photo per group. Currently, I take a photo first and then attach it. I will need to figure out how to access both camera and photo library from a single menu. Could you send me a pm if I missed anything?

Many thanks for the feedback and comments!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Ah yes, sorry thats my bad, I never found that part before. Thanks. Im going to be doing some load development this week so ill play around with it and if I notice anything else ill message you.

Tags
bullet, coefficient, iphone, powder, reloading