Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Default What is in your range bag?

Shooting at a range is a new experience for me... I'm used to the rifle range being whatever hillside doesn't have cows on it (but that was another lifetime). Besides targets and lots of ammo, what is in your range bag? I have ear and eye protection... what else do I need or is nice to have?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Banned

Earplugs in case someone forgot their hearing protection.
Note book & pen.
Staple gun with lots of staplers for putting up new targets.
Those sticky colored circles for either marking off previous shots or for making a smaller point of aim on the target.
Multi-bit small screw driver set and my multi-tool.
Calipers to check case expansion during load development.

Last edited by gitrdun; 04-21-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM

I always liked a roll of hundred mile an hour tape (duct tape) a black sharpie, extra ear plugs oh and a box(to pick up any brass I find that was left over from someone else). To be honest I don't have a range bag...I have a range truck as I keep everything I need in there most of the time so I'm good to go (both work and personal trucks). Speaking of which Its about time I head out to shoot again....lol
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 PM

The only thing I can add is any of your certificates that way they are always with you, oh and ammo......lots of ammo

Jason
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Also:

Limbsaver shoulder pad. Helps to keep the flinches at bay; esp if you have a lot of shooting to do.

Sunglasses and shooting glasses.

Spotting scope and tripod. Unless I shoot something spectacular, I don't bother with calipers anymore. A bughole is a bughole and at 45x I can see it from the bench very nicely.

Rock Deluxe rifle rest and rear bag. If you're working up a load, try to take out as many other variables are possible.

I use a biggish Black and Decker plastic tool box from C.T. It is cheaper than a "range box" and all my stuff doesn't know the difference.

If you reload, you'll find a chrony is real handy and not very expensive.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wack99 View Post
The only thing I can add is any of your certificates that way they are always with you,...
Certificates?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Ya you have to remember those certificates, just in case you run out of paper targets.!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Default range gear

............ all of the above (except my toolbox is from Home Depot) ........ and very importantly ........... the key for the padlock on the gate. Nothing more frustrating than getting to the gate with all the gear packed, then realizing the key is at home

Usually keep some bug spray in the box as well, depending on teh time of day or year.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 PM

Default Towels, Chrony AND tripod,....

Hey

I always bring two towels to lay out on the shooting bench. The surface of those benches is harder than the stock of a gun... it also stops your brass from rolling all over the place.

If you use a chrony, double check to make sure your *^%#F&@ tripod is there too. Unless you want to lay on the ground...

And a cleaning kit is nice if you're going to go through a lot of rounds or want to clean between test loads etc...?

Make sure you double check the range's schedule before you go out there too...

Have fun

Frank
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM

The only thing I have that has not been said is a bottle of gun oil.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM

I bring towels too. I find the bark stays on my elbow a lot longer than without when I am shooting in a T-shirt.

I often bring a cleaning kit too.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wack99 View Post
The only thing I can add is any of your certificates that way they are always with you, oh and ammo......lots of ammo

Jason
Not necessary. Thanks Randy!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:52 PM

the only thing not mentioned that I carry is a copy of the range rules complete with contact info for the range executive. you hope everyone at your range knows the rules but sometimes people need reminders.

NEVER get between Electricity and where it wants to go!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM

Well I think everything above should be brought, I would also have Allen wrenches and screw drivers for scope adjusting and tightening.

You don't want to be under packed, makes for a bad time.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 PM

I have a 3 drawer tackle box for small stuff, an old plastic milk box for the rest and bags and stapler and hammer. I have a tripod for the chrono, and one for the spotting scope. And at present a 4ftx4ft target board.
If I take the Schuetzen rifle, I have a box with bullets, brass ,powder, trays,powder thrower, palmrest.
The tackle box has a set of Chapman screwdrivers, a small ratchet with screwdriver tips, a Lyman hammer and punch set, a takedown cleaning rod, brushes,jags, adaptors, jug of Hoppes. It also holds primers, Lee primer tool, re & decapper, iron sights, sight inserts, breech seaters, target markers. Then there are staples, screws, choke wrenches and I'm not sure what else I may have stashed in that box.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercrazy View Post
Ya you have to remember those certificates, just in case you run out of paper targets.!!!
10-4 ...lol

Last edited by SonnyJ; 03-24-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 AM

Oh... and....

The keys to your gun cases. DANG that's maddening LOL!!

Frank
Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLance View Post
Oh... and....

The keys to your gun cases. DANG that's maddening LOL!!

Frank
Agreed and also exactly why I don't lock cases or triggers anymore.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Banned

So, while driving to the range, a fellow goes thru this list of stuff in mind, arrives only to realize that he forgot his guns.....
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
So, while driving to the range, a fellow goes thru this list of stuff in mind, arrives only to realize that he forgot his guns.....
Good one Git. lol
Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 AM

I have front and rear sand bags, a big bag of ear plugs, staple gun and lots of staples, a torpedo level for leveling targets, multi bit screw driver, torqs bit for ring screws, small round stickers for a smaller aiming point, range finder, bipod, guess that's about it.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Targets,stapler and staples,screwdriver set,torx wrench for rings and bases,earplugs, batteries for chronograph, bore sighter,muffs, spare ear plugs,extra shooting glasses,paper towels.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 AM

A leatherman or pliers of some sort to remove all the staples people leave on the backboard so I can lay my target nice and flat.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM

, range box= dry patches,wet patches, cleaning rod, staples, targets, soule sights, inserts, multi bit screw driver, torqs bit for ring screws chronograph, blow tube,G96,cotton clothes, pliers, needle nose and regular, spotting scope, front and rear shooting bags, cross sticks, 209primers, cap primers, powder,pre lubed patches, maxi balls round balls,(lead) powder,
targets, ear muffs, ear plugs, camera, sweets solvent, hoppes solvent, wipe out for black powder, ammo, guns, and then some where along the line I always tend to still forget a few items
Old 04-22-2012, 11:10 AM
sheephunter

Don't forget then wind meter!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Yeah I drove 3 hours to a match once and after spending so much time getting the camping and shooting gear together, I forgot the gun. No bs lol

The towel or blanket for the bench is a great one ppl dont often think of, great for padding the behind, or keeping it dry/clean on the range chairs too. Nothing worse than chewin the "bark" off yur elbow either as said above.

I always bring a garbage bag too, Try to do my part cleaning up and taking my junk with me.

Personally I have a big steel toolbox I bring everywhere that always has everything in it, because if I dont, forget stuff.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned a note pad and pen / pencil yet. Good for notes, and also the pen / pencil can be used to circle the holes on your target so you can get a little more use from it.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Default one more thing

.......... although not a range bag item, if your range has a website, check that the range is open. Frustrating morning because I loaded up all my gear, including my new (to me) Cooper and the dang range is closed ALL day for a pistol match
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Did not see this on others replies...besides everything else mentioned, I bring a bottle of lens cleaner, cleaning fabric, a lens cleaning brush, bug juice and most important...TP in case the club head has run out! I also keep a copy of the RCMP firearms transportation regulations, one in my truck the other in the bag, seems that they are not well versed in the rules and it is nice to refresh their memory when required.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 PM

Great ideas guys ! New to the range world myself so I'll be putting together a range bank thanks for the ideas.