Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Fly In Fishing trip

Just thought I'd post a quick pic of one of the many fish I caught this year on my summer fishing trip. It is the only one I have on my computer as it was emailed to me by the guy who took the pics. The rest are sitting on my SD card. lol

I had a great time up at Lac La Martre and caught lots of large fish, both pike and lake trout. The one posted is a nice 26lber caught while out night fishing on my last day there. The pic in my avatar is a 41 lb laker caught the year before.

I wasn't going to post this but since Claudio is getting heat for allegedly photo shopping his pics I figured I would try and add some credibility to his pictures by adding one of my own caught on the same lake. I can attest that the fishing really is that good up there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00636.JPG (105.6 KB, 175 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Great pics, huge fish! Nice job, I would love an opportunity to head north and fish some monsters!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Wow what a tank!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Nice fish, how deep and what where you using to entice this big one.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Banned

That beast is only 26? Looks like a 35# chinook...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Thanks everyone. I really love fishing up here. The fishing is great, the pike fishing is on par or better than the lake trout fishing. The scenery is just beautiful as the lake is virtually untouched, I really love the remoteness of places like this. If you ever get the chance it is worth it to come here or any of the other quality lodges in the NWT or northern Sask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Country View Post
Nice fish, how deep and what where you using to entice this big one.
I'm not sure how deep I was running but it was caught in 45 - 50 feet of water. I was running a 10" gold believer (musky crank bait) with 245 feet of line out. My guess is I was running close to 40 feet deep. If I let out anything more than 265 feet it would bounce off of the bottom.

We've had great success running these deep diving big crank baits up here the past few years. They are a bit of a pain to hold on to ( I don't use a rod holder) and you need a stiff rod to set the hook but they work really well.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Very nice Laker Zuludog Grats and good on you for thinking of your fellow angler Claudio .. Kudos

David
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks David. I don't personally know Claudio but met (saw) him as he was getting off the float plane and I was boarding. I also saw him give a seminar at the sportsman's show in Edmonton.

I knew he would catch those types of big fish up at Lac La Martre and I hate how the internet CSI types always claim that when someone lands a big fish or shoots a nice trophy it must be "shopped" so I thought I'd help end that non-sense, if I could.